Looking for ideas on gain boost for low output single coil lead

Bman

Power User
I'm set up with a hot HB and a low output single in my neck. I love being able to clean up with the volume knob even when a drive pedal is on. But I also want to get that juicy single coil lead sound for legato and so I need a 2nd gear. I'm looking at maybe a control switch or expression pedal. Anyone else have low output singles that they juice or should I choose the right tool for the job...as in a different guitar with a hotter neck p/u?

Throw a Drive block in there... Or even a Null Filter as a clean boost.

Micro Amp, SSD Drive, RCB.

I've already got a drive block and a scene controller adds more juice on the lead scene. But the Null Filter sounds like a good idea to hit the front end of an amp. I guess this can also be done with a scene controller to boost the input.

The compressor (pedal 1) is perfect to make a single coil sing with some muscle behind it.

This is something I've never considered. I haven't really used compressors even on clean settings. Can the same pedal 1 compressor be used for clean? Then can I use a scene controller to apply to my clean scene to? That way it serves two purposes.

Attach a scene controller or a control switch to the amp blocks input trim.

This is what I was originally thinking. I already do this for my lead scene but even that scene doesn't have the gain to get the single coil singing.

I need a 3rd gear that hopefully doesn't over do the gain while on the humbucker. I'm hoping it'll add enough that harmonics are a breeze on the HB and the single sings like a violin. My lead scene is just my rhythm scene with a scene controller that juices both the drive pedal, input trim and delay mix. But it's not over saturated because I like to hear pick attack. I guess this 3rd gain scene or control switch will be the 3rd gear to disguise any sloppiness in my playing, and make the neck p/u sing.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking forward to setting this up after work.

This is something I've never considered. I haven't really used compressors even on clean settings. Can the same pedal 1 compressor be used for clean? Then can I use a scene controller to apply to my clean scene to? That way it serves two purposes.
Yes, the same settings can work well to fatten up clean tones and make a singing single coil lead. For the lead, you could consider boosting 1-3 dB into the compressor.

I've been in a similar situation but with the AX-8, you don't need high output pickups to drive an amp so I've switched to lower output pickups (e.g. Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs) which are much easier to match to single coils though I do use higher output single coils.

I fixed the problem at the source.

A control switch is a great option. You can add modifiers from the Saturation, Boost, Gain and Input Trim parameters in the Amp Block as well as use it to increase the level of the Cab block and turn effects/blocks on (or off) like an EQ that boosts the mids.

As far as tips for single coil lead tones other than just more gain, turning off the Bright Switch and adding a bump in the 300-500 Hz range helps fatten up the tone.

I've been in a similar situation but with the AX-8, you don't need high output pickups to drive an amp so I've switched to lower output pickups (e.g. Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs) which are much easier to match to single coils though I do use higher output single coils.

I fixed the problem at the source.
Yes, I did this as well - I have fairly low output humbuckers, and they do play nicely with my single coils.

The null filter block is a great trick - I use it all the time. The filter block supports X/Y switching so I've always got one set to do a 0/3/6db boost. Also uses very little CPU.

Another option is to connect the amp input gain trim to a scene controller and switch scenes for the boost.

I boosted the input trim value on the scene controller in my lead scene and fell in love with the added gain and tone. The neck is still a smidge under juiced but if I juice more the tone gets too boosted on the front end for my taste.

I tried the compressor and see how it can bring the single coil level more even or boosted if I add dB to the compressor. I need get more familiar with the compressor settings to know what to dial in.

Boosting input trim seems like a clean organic boost that’s pleasing to the ears up to a point where too much off good thing turns into a bad thing. Like many things in life.

I was trying to tame the low end or the chunkiness of the boosted scene. What I stumbled on was raising the negative feedback from the default (in this case 1.55) to 3. It seemed to smooth out the rough sound on the palm muted chords. It also seemed to add some presence to my other rhythm scene that doesn't have the input trim boosted. It livened it up a bit yet had no effect when I turn the volume down to clean up.

So it led me on a forum search and I read thru Cliff's tech notes on the subject but I could quite figure out what the heck it does or is supposed to do. I really felt it lifted another layer of the blanket off the tone. And my go to preset has just been improved to the point I gotta stop typing and go back to play.

Anyone got a simple explanation or can share if they adjust the negative feedback parameter and the effect they get or are looking to get when they change it? I'm using a Marshall amp block FWIW. I'd read class A's react differently etc...

I'm set up with a hot HB and a low output single in my neck. I love being able to clean up with the volume knob even when a drive pedal is on. But I also want to get that juicy single coil lead sound for legato and so I need a 2nd gear. I'm looking at maybe a control switch or expression pedal. Anyone else have low output singles that they juice or should I choose the right tool for the job...as in a different guitar with a hotter neck p/u?

Your over all description of the desired tone sounds like you want a more compressed tone, not necessarily more gain. I think of these things in their simplest, more traditional ways. So my inclination is to suggest compression first. Play around with not only the compression itself, but where you place it in the chain: anywhere from the first block in your chain to the last block before your output.

Once you get compression where you want it, if more gain is desired an X/Y switch on your overdrive could help you switch back and forth easily (and can easily be set up in scenes) between standard overdrive and a slight boost for solos. If you prefer to X/Y the actual amp for different overdrives that's an option too, but it doesn't change the approach.

Because you have a low output pickup, a slight boost in overdrive could just give you a satisfactory solo boost, but overdrive would need to be located after the compression, otherwise the compressor would no doubt nullify any volume boost. The tone would change. The volume would likely remain the same.

To remedy this, I would add an EQ block to the scene and boost mids slightly. Not only would this help you pop out in the mix for solos, depending on which frequencies you boost it could easily accentuate the juicy legato tone you're after.

All of my suggestions could easily be set up as scenes for simple toggling back and forth.

As this thread implies, there are many ways to handle this. The above is how my brain works.

Good luck!

Your over all description of the desired tone sounds like you want a more compressed tone, not necessarily more gain.

Good luck!

I guess I’d describe what I’m seeking is similar to what you get out of a hot rails p/u. But you watch Warren DeMartini and he’s got a mismatched single relative to the JB he plays in his Charvels and he gets a juicy tubey sounding tone. And judging from the recent vids I’ve seen he plays a lot on that neck pick up when he’s playing a guitar that even has a neck p/u.

And I say they are mismatched without looking first ... I’ll check into that.

You’re ideas are on point on how to achieve this. And soooo many ways to get there. The route I took was to juice the input trim (boost the front end). And I like what it did to that lead scene for the other pickup as well. Lots of gain, clarity and easy to play. The drawback was that playing power chords or palm muted rhythm sounded rough. This I tackled by increasing the negative feedback value.

And I guess I’m now trying to figure out is there downside to increasing the negative feedback.

I still ‘need’ a tad more juice to make the neck as juicy as I set out to do. I’m thinking a Control Switch.

Back
Top Bottom