<SOLVED> Axe-Fx is locking up when adding an amp or changing to any preset

Jason Scott

Fractal Fanatic
This just starting happening about 15 minutes ago. Everything was fine this morning. However, I just turned it on a few minutes ago, added an IN / OUT block to an empty slot with shunts across, and right after I added an Amp block, I hear this:

Noise:

The unit locked up, so I rebooted. It loads to the same empty preset. Everything's fine. I then try selecting another preset using the front panel. I select one I've used ad nauseam and the result is the same as above; noise and locks up. I restart, select a factory preset. Same result.

So, on the next restart, I added other blocks first and discovered that I can add other blocks without consequence. It's only when I add an Amp block that it exhibits the above noise and locks up.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Solved. I use SPDIF and the sample rate of the external interface was set to 88.2K. Once it was set back to 48K, everything returned to normal.

Last edited:
I’d boot to a different preset. That one sounds corrupt.

https://support.fractalaudio.com/article/28-axe-fx-iii-recovery-steps

It boots into the empty preset fine. Everything works fine. It's only when I add an Amp block or change to any other preset that it locks up. I suspect it's only locking up on presets with an Amp block. I mean, I guess it's possible the empty slot it's booting into could be corrupt. I'll try the recovery step outlined in that link.

When I tried to boot up holding the Home button and the unit boots to the preset screen, the screen flickers furiously while continuing to hold the button. If I don't let it go, at some point the unit locks up. When I do let it go, it defaults to the Empty preset I was using originally(slot 456).

When I tried to boot up holding the Home button and the unit boots to the preset screen, the screen flickers furiously while continuing to hold the button. If I don't let it go, at some point the unit locks up. When I do let it go, it defaults to the Empty preset I was using originally(slot 456).
it's flickering because you're basically pressing Home many times rapidly. let go.

it's flickering because you're basically pressing Home many times rapidly. let go.

There's that. Even when I let it go before it finished booting, it would flicker for about 2 or 3 seconds and default to the original empty preset.

Problem solved.

I'm using SPDIF, and the last time I was using my DAW, I'd been working with a project that had files which were recorded at 88.2K. This inherently set the sample rate of the external interface to 88.2K. After switching the interface sample rate to 48K, everything's working fine.
please edit your title to say solved. click Thread Options near the top.

There's that. Even when I let it go before it finished booting, it would flicker for about 2 or 3 seconds and default to the original empty preset.
the button's command was still playing out.

Back
Top Bottom