FRFR cabs

Shredforge

So I'm new to all of this amp modeling/sim technology and just had a question.

Would the fractal products like ax fx II or the Ax8 or the ax fxIII all work plugging directly from the unit into an Frfr cab for live playing?

I've read people buy power amps to run the fractal products and that these frfr cabs are powered on their own so no need to power amp.

So essentially it is guitar into fractal into frfr cab and your pushing out live sound?

Also how would you adjust volume in this set up and how overall loud do they get? Do the frfr cabs push air the same way a 4x12 does?

Thanks all sorry for noob questions.

So I'm new to all of this amp modeling/sim technology and just had a question.

Would the fractal products like ax fx II or the Ax8 or the ax fxIII all work plugging directly from the unit into an Frfr cab for live playing?
Welcome! The answer is yes.
I've read people buy power amps to run the fractal products and that these frfr cabs are powered on their own so no need to power amp.

So essentially it is guitar into fractal into frfr cab and your pushing out live sound?
People usually buy power amps to run Fractal products with guitar speaker cabs. If you have a powered speaker, no need.

Just wondering, how do you want to use the FRFR, as a backline or monitor?
Either way, the answer is yes. [Guitar -> Fractal unit -> powered FRFR speaker] works.
Also how would you adjust volume in this set up and how overall loud do they get? Do the frfr cabs push air the same way a 4x12 does?
A proper FRFR speaker can actually "push air" more than a 4x12 guitar cab. You can adjust the volume easily with the Fractal unit's Output level knob.

There's a great Fractal wiki, here's a link for those starting out (credit to @yek):
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_and_Cab_modeling_for_beginners

Some people use their FRFR as a Stage Monitor and then run through the PA system (FOH, Front of House) for the audience. Some use the FRFR as backline for audience sound. I do it both ways, depending on how big a place we are playing. For what it's worth,of the different FRFR monitors I have tried, I like Atomic CLR Neo best. Great speaker that's loud enough to play a decent sized club on its own.

Oh I see.. so essentially without running it thru the house pa system it may not be loud enough?

Also I'll check out the atomic clr you mentioned... Have you tried the Friedman fr12 by any chance? I've had my eye on that one.

Oh I see.. so essentially without running it thru the house pa system it may not be loud enough?

Also I'll check out the atomic clr you mentioned... Have you tried the Friedman fr12 by any chance? I've had my eye on that one.
If a 4x12 was loud enough, a good FRFR speaker like the CLR would be loud enough.

Some like the Friedman ASM/ASC stuff, but it's not really an FRFR in that it colors the sound. If you're into that, the only way to know if you'll like it is to try it out.

To make sound, you need input, mixer, power amp, and speaker.

A powered FRFR is usually 3 of those things - mixer (what you plug into), power amp (since it’s powered) and the speaker.

You can also buy the individual components to use together. So some buy separate power amps and speakers.

They are all options.

Ah ok I'm finally understanding now.. so the frfr cabs or a powered cab are different yet would both work for the ax fx units.. but a powered cab on it's own would color the sound as well

[QUOTE="
Also I'll check out the atomic clr you mentioned... Have you tried the Friedman fr12 by any chance? I've had my eye on that one.[/QUOTE]

I have tried a power amp through a THD 2 x 12, a Verve FTB, a Matrix FR12 and Atomic CLR. My bandmate had a Friedman ASM. I would say the difference between the Friedman and the Atomic is that the Friedman sounded great no matter what kind of signal you put into it but it delivered a more a limited range of tones. The CLR sounds great, but it plays your patch so that needs to be set up right. The Friedman also weighs 57 pounds vs I think 34. My bandmate ended up getting a CLR, too. Note that power modules do go out on these speakers. I have had that happen on two different brands, both replaced free of charge.

Ah ok I'm finally understanding now.. so the frfr cabs or a powered cab are different yet would both work for the ax fx units.. but a powered cab on it's own would color the sound as well
FRFR cabs can be powered or not powered... And not all of them are actually FRFR ( Full Range Flat Response) - in particular, the "Flat" part. That is why they color the sound...

Isn't it true that if you use a matrix power amp (neutral power amp) with passive or non powered FRFR cab then you are supposed to turn off Cab modeling?

Anthony has that right. With either a powered or passive FRFR, the idea is that you are getting a neutral speaker. Guitar cabs are NOT neutral. They emphasize the frequency guitar players like in different ways depending on the model. You need to use cab modeling and a cab impulse response (IR) with FRFR speakers to get a sound you will like.

Anthony has that right. With either a powered or passive FRFR, the idea is that you are getting a neutral speaker. Guitar cabs are NOT neutral. They emphasize the frequency guitar players like in different ways depending on the model. You need to use cab modeling and a cab impulse response (IR) with FRFR speakers to get a sound you will like.

Thanks! That's what I thought. Someone in another thread said to do that and I was thinking that it would suck especially since I bought the GT1600FX and 2 FR212's for when I was buying an AXE XL II+ for the very first time. Now I have the AXE III and loving it with Cab Modeling ON along with Power Amp Modeling, lol.

Back
Top Bottom