Jumped the wagon on modelling....advice needed (newbie)

Zakk

Hi fellas greetings from Greece!

I decided to switch to modelling after many years of ear-piercing tube amps. Im gonna get the axe fx 3 , a pair of monitors and an interface

I am not looking for professional-grade productions, but for basic recording/jamming and some live stuff.

The interface im gonna get is the focusrite scarlett 6i6 2nd generation
The monitors will be the Yamaha HS7

My setup will be like this : The monitors will be plugged to the focusrite and the axe fx via spdif will be connnected to the interface. Since I will use my pc when the axe will be off (for "home"usage) i dont wanna plug the axe and use it as an interface.

What do you think of this setup? I am open to any recommendations.

Thanks guys

The Yams 7's are good, maybe you'd like to add a subwoofer to get more lows, but besides that they are good monitors.

The Yams 7's are good, maybe you'd like to add a subwoofer to get more lows, but besides that they are good monitors.

Do you recommend a pair of foam pads for the monitors? Im gonna put them in a plywood-made desk

What do you think of this setup?
I do essentially the same thing with a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 14 and my Fractal gear. Sapphire as a mixer for blending the Fractal units with my computer audio and sending it to my monitors or headphones. Works well.

When I record in Logic or GarageBand I set the audio source to the Axe-Fx III -- I don't record vocals so I don't need the pre's from the Focusrite.

Hi fellas greetings from Greece!

I decided to switch to modelling after many years of ear-piercing tube amps. Im gonna get the axe fx 3 , a pair of monitors and an interface

I am not looking for professional-grade productions, but for basic recording/jamming and some live stuff.

The interface im gonna get is the focusrite scarlett 6i6 2nd generation
The monitors will be the Yamaha HS7

My setup will be like this : The monitors will be plugged to the focusrite and the axe fx via spdif will be connnected to the interface. Since I will use my pc when the axe will be off (for "home"usage) i dont wanna plug the axe and use it as an interface.

What do you think of this setup? I am open to any recommendations.

Thanks guys

As long as you don't expect that setup to sound the same as when you're playing through a real cab, everything looks good.

Thank you all people. No there is no need for me to use a cab . Just home recording/jamming .

If you don't plug the Axe to use it as an interface, you cannot use the easy Reamp feature of the USB (to record simultaneously wet and dry guitar takes for further processing)

If you don't plug the Axe to use it as an interface, you cannot use the easy Reamp feature of the USB (to record simultaneously wet and dry guitar takes for further processing)

I don't need reamping but good to know thanks!

I do essentially the same thing with a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 14 and my Fractal gear. Sapphire as a mixer for blending the Fractal units with my computer audio and sending it to my monitors or headphones. Works well.

When I record in Logic or GarageBand I set the audio source to the Axe-Fx III -- I don't record vocals so I don't need the pre's from the Focusrite.

Hey Iaresee,

I have literally just bought an Axe iii and have the same interface as you. I've been unsure as to what the best route is for setting up.

My main requirements are:
  • I don't want my Axe to always have to be on to use my PC
  • I want to use the Axe without my PC on
  • I want to record with my Axe into my PC
I know I can use the Axe as an interface and switch around cables whenever I want to use my PC without it but I want the most efficient setup I can get. I also know that the Saffire Pro 14 can be used in standalone mode which sounds good. Do you do this?

If I connect my AXE via SPDIF to my Saffire Pro, does this allow me to:
  1. Record into my PC
  2. Have my Axe off and still be able to use my PC with other audio
  3. Use my Axe with my PC off and have the Saffire Pro running in standalone mode
If those 3 above are able to be done when connected via SPDIF then I guess that's my perfect setup.

Thanks in advance...sorry for the long reply. I will start a new thread if need be :)

It's not difficult to reamp with SPDIF.

Personally, I don't like the idea of being required to have the Axe-Fx turned on whenever I want to listen to audio on my PC. Further, considering monitors are generally hooked up to whatever external interface you're using, you either have to plug headphones into the Axe to hear anything when using it as your interface to reamp tracks via USB, or you have to plug your monitors into it.

The HS7's will be a good choice. I personally run SPDIF into my audio interface. In fact, a good interface will be a noticeable sound improvement! I went from a budget interface to a Clarett 4 Pre - and it was a noticeable difference. It's like it opened up the HS7's that was using... took my sound to a whole new level.

Also, get those monitors on stands and set them up in a triangle pattern a few feet from your ears... this allows the sound to better develop and sound more like a cab in the room. I switch breakout a real amp and cab now and then.. and I'm impressed with how the Axe-Fx sounds very much like the cab in the room with the speakers setup this way! You won't be disappointed!

Hey Iaresee,

I have literally just bought an Axe iii and have the same interface as you. I've been unsure as to what the best route is for setting up.

I know I can use the Axe as an interface and switch around cables whenever I want to use my PC without it but I want the most efficient setup I can get. I also know that the Saffire Pro 14 can be used in standalone mode which sounds good. Do you do this?

1. Record into my PC
  3. Use my Axe with my PC off and have the Saffire Pro running in standalone mode
If those 3 above are able to be done when connected via SPDIF then I guess that's my perfect setup.

Thanks in advance...sorry for the long reply. I will start a new thread if need be :)
I keep my Focusrite plugged in all the time. And I plug the III spdif into that as well as connect the III via USB when it’s at my desk. This let’s me use Axe-Edit with as well as record with it. I don’t ever unplug the Focusrite from the computer.

Works perfectly, hassle free, on my Mac. The Focusrite is the default general audio device for the computer. But within Logic I set the iii as the audio device. MacOS allows for this. Not sure how Windows works, sorry.

Hey Iaresee,

1. Record into my PC

I keep my Focusrite plugged in all the time. And I plug the III spdif into that as well as connect the III via USB when it’s at my desk. This let’s me use Axe-Edit with as well as record with it. I don’t ever unplug the Focusrite from the computer.

Works perfectly, hassle free, on my Mac. The Focusrite is the default general audio device for the computer. But within Logic I set the iii as the audio device. MacOS allows for this. Not sure how Windows works, sorry.
curious Ian, is there a specific reason why you do not use an Aggregate Device of the Axe and Focusrite in logic, because you only record guitar, or is there a compatibilty issue? (irrelevant for OP, who , being hobbled by ASIO, should do as you suggest...)

curious Ian, is there a specific reason why you do not use an Aggregate Device of the Axe and Focusrite in logic, because you only record guitar, or is there a compatibilty issue? (irrelevant for OP, who , being hobbled by ASIO, should do as you suggest...)
Aggregate devices are buggy as shit. Doubly so when one of the devices is coming and going all the time as is the case with my AFIII. Maybe they’ve improved in Mojave, but once bitten and all that...

I don’t record vocals at home so I don’t need the preamps on the Focusrite. I could probably even replace it with a stand-alone mixer and just route the Macs internal audio to that as well as the IIIs analog output and connect that to my monitors. But I own this and it works reliably so why spend money when I don’t have to?

Thanks for the reply. Do you only have one SPDIF cable going from your Axe iii out to your Focusrite in? I was watching a YT video where someone had two cables - Axe out to Interface In and Interface out to Axe In.

Do you only play through your Axe when your mac is on then?

Aggregate devices are buggy as shit. Doubly so when one of the devices is coming and going all the time as is the case with my AFIII. Maybe they’ve improved in Mojave, but once bitten and all that...

I don’t record vocals at home so I don’t need the preamps on the Focusrite. I could probably even replace it with a stand-alone mixer and just route the Macs internal audio to that as well as the IIIs analog output and connect that to my monitors. But I own this and it works reliably so why spend money when I don’t have to?
i have had occasional problems with Aggregate as well, the latest updates on Mac seemto address them to some extent...or maybe not.....

Thanks for the reply. Do you only have one SPDIF cable going from your Axe iii out to your Focusrite in? I was watching a YT video where someone had two cables - Axe out to Interface In and Interface out to Axe In.
Yea, just SPDIF out > Focusrite. The Focusrite is basically acting like a mix for my monitors.

Do you only play through your Axe when your mac is on then?
My Mac is always on at home. But, I also use the wall wart with the Focusrite so it stays powered up even if my Mac is turned off. You can't adjust the mixer settings without the Mac, but it works just fine otherwise.

for the OP, asio can aggregate devices on windows, with asio4all

Back
Top Bottom