Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.02

The presets work how they worked before except with the changes outlined in the release notes.

Play your preset. Does it sound good? You decide. If not, you have the option to reset the amp block and redial.

The answer to the question is if you think it sounds good. We can not determine that.
Would you suggest an amp block reset even if it seems to sound good to reach the best that this FW offers? Or, as mentioned in release note, it’s not necessary? Thank you

is there a new version of axe-edit III - or do I even need it to get that the updates?
Updated Axe-Edit usually takes a day or two (or more) depending on what needs to be updated.

Download the firmware and update with FractalBot.

im not going to update till firmware 10 come out,:Djust kidding!!!thank you Cliff for the hard work doing all those cool updates.

Stupid question, but should this sound different from 5.00 beta 3? The notes seem to be the same.
The final 5.0 release notes are the beta notes consolidated and anything else new.
The 5.0 will sound the same or different if it effects any of the parameters , amps, etc that you use.

I have a different issue, I have noticed that the stereo spread parameter on the chorus and the reverb (as well as a few other parameters on the reverb) from my one "live" preset that I use have changed. I have loaded the firmware a couple of time and reset all the blocks and updated parameters ect. The way to get the sound back to "normal" is to save the preset on 4.3 (or anything but 5.0 release or 5.3 beta) and load that preset and save it, then everything is back to normal. If you load the 5.2 preset its normal (chorus and reverb) load the 5.3 preset its goofy. Of course I can work around it, just wondering why those parameters changed with 5.3 beta and 5.0 release. Thanks
I did notice that a couple of presets had the chorus stereo spread reset to 0. All I did was set it back to 100% & it sounded great again. I didn't notice anything with the reverb but will look at that the next time I fire up the Axe.

www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/5p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_5p00.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Completely new Amp block cathode follower algorithm yielding more accurate results. The “Ideal” cathode follower type is no longer supported as it is incompatible and has been removed from the GUI. The Cathode Follower Time and Ratio parameters have also been removed as they are no longer applicable. A “Grid Clipping” parameter has been added which allows the user to adjust the grid clipping in the cathode follower. Lower values reflect the softer response of classic British and American tubes like Mullard, Sylvania and RCA. Higher values simulate the response of modern Chinese and Russian tubes with more abrupt clipping.

Updated various Amp block parameters related to new cathode follower algorithm. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values.

Added AES/SPDIF Input Level control. This is located in the I/O->USB/AES menu. NOTE: this parameter will default to -40 dB after installation of the firmware. Be sure to adjust to the desired level if using the AES or SPDIF inputs.

Added Treble Booster and Mid Booster boost types to Amp block.

Improved Scene/Channel change logic. Only the wet data is muted when changing scenes and channels now leaving the dry data intact which results in smoother transitions.

Changed Control block Envelope Follower behavior so that when the signal exceeds the threshold the control value starts at zero rather than jumping to the threshold value.

Fixed wrong bass pot taper in Friedman Small Box model.

Fix FC per-preset corruption with some presets.

NOTE: Due to the new algorithms several amp block parameters are reset to default values when loading old presets. Included in these parameters is Preamp Bias Excursion. If you had altered this parameter in a preset note that it will be reset and you may want to readjust it.

Thanks again for all your hard work, it’s really hard to imagine all that went into this amazing product.

Thanks in particular for the note about the Preamp Bias Excursion, that kind of stuff is very helpful for us deep tweakers.

Back
Top Bottom