Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds great. Which Austin preset did you start with.

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 12.18.56 PM.png

Love that this preset is only at 80% CPU :)

I've been using my AX8 for rehearsals and am looking forward to getting my power amps / cabs out of storage so I can use the III and get some more elbow room!
I essentially never run out of CPU now. Everything I want is in one preset and then some. My only problem now is I lose track of channels on blocks and what they do. I've tried to apply some logic to things like the drive blocks, but it can be hard to keep track of in the moment.

View attachment 53535

I essentially never run out of CPU now. Everything I want is in one preset and then some. My only problem now is I lose track of channels on blocks and what they do. I've tried to apply some logic to things like the drive blocks, but it can be hard to keep track of in the moment.
Yup. A preset can do so much that it's hard to keep track of everything you put into it. That's driven me away from kitchen-sink presets. If I can't name it with a scene, it goes into another preset. Named channels would be a boon.

Last edited:
I did not know this about beta versions, I don’t recall seeing anything about beta firmware update procedures being different in the manual.

However, I’m pretty sure Axe Edit read through block definitions on every beta that I’ve loaded.
it doesn't read it every single time. always good to do Refresh after FW Update when you update firmware.

beta procedures are not in the manual because it's beta.

it doesn't read it every single time. always good to do Refresh after FW Update when you update firmware.

beta procedures are not in the manual because it's beta.
This.

Going from one 5.00 beta to another beta doesn't register as new firmware, because it's still 5.00.

View attachment 53535

This is why my WISH was to be able to click on the channels tab - in Edit , and see a list , without having to select each channel.

This is why my WISH was to be able to click on the channels tab - in Edit , and see a list , without having to select each channel.
+0.5 this wish? :) Seeing them listed as "Channel A", etc. doesn't help with my recall. I still need to call up the channel to remember that I set Channel C on drive block 3 to be a Pi Fuzz, for example. Named channels are really where I'd like to see things go.

That Tone of Kings. Man, so good.

First half is without, second half is with. There's cascading drive blocks. The preset is normally: Micro Boost > '65 Bassguy Bass, so when the ToK is kicked on it's ToK > Micro Boost > '65 Bassguy Bass.

The preset is built around an @austinbuddy preset pack setting. Sounds so good with Strats.

Awesome tone AND chops Ian! :eek::)

Also, I'm starting to realise that every single time I'm going to hear a recording from an @austinbuddy preset that I'm going to love it! Might have to convince the wife on a purchase of that....

Awesome tone AND chops Ian! :eek::)

Also, I'm starting to realise that every single time I'm going to hear a recording from an @austinbuddy preset that I'm going to love it! Might have to convince the wife on a purchase of that....
Thank you! You absolutely will not regret an @austinbuddy preset pack purchase. Money well spent.

(Buddy doesn't pay me to say these things. I wouldn't use them if I didn't like them. :) )

I just quickly created the patch from scratch and randomly picked an IR. I was trying to demonstrate the Class-A amp level differences, but if Cliff says that is normal, then OK. It seems that when I added a Class-A to the B channel on an existing preset, it sounded way worse. I suspected I tweaked something. When I reset the channel the only thing that changed was the Speaker Compression. It was 3.0 on my existing preset. Resetting the channel with the "Class-A 30W Hot" changed it to 1.0. That brought the level up a bit.

I don't recall changing Speaker Compression. I may have started with a copy of a factory preset that had it set.

I'm currently in an apartment waiting for our home remodel to finish (just weeks away!). I monitor on Adam A7 or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones. In a few weeks, it will be ATC SCM 100s :)

EDIT: I consider this case-closed at this point. Thanks to all that looked into it. Now, off to antique shopping... :( I'd rather be playing my guitar...
I had your same issue. I reinstalled the previous beta, then re-installed this beta,reset my amps, poopy bass gone.
The only thing I can think of, being a tech by trade, is something didn't over-write correctly the first time. Back in my phone rooting days it was always good to install the new firmware 2 times, to guarantee no breadcrumbs were left from the old firmware. I'm not saying this is what is needed here. But me doing it this time helped.
Also, those of you mentioning lags in scenes, If AXE Edit is loaded, it causes a lag in all switching on the AXE. So make sure AXE Edit is closed. I'm not saying this is the reason why those of you might be experiencing the lag. But I don't have any lag here. And I'm using an antique ART X-15 controller.

Last edited:
+0.5 this wish? :) Seeing them listed as "Channel A", etc. doesn't help with my recall. I still need to call up the channel to remember that I set Channel C on drive block 3 to be a Pi Fuzz, for example. Named channels are really where I'd like to see things go.

Agreed. The solution would be to have the channels listed ABCD - Vertically , and the TYPE - Horizontally ( like it is now ) next to each corresponding - ABCD. To have the type - showing for each block would be a HUGE help. Please give this a thought @FractalAudio

...just trying to help.

Now I don't know that I should bother with the beta and just wait for it.

I always like reading about the new stuff, but I always wait for the major releases. This one has been tough, because it always seems like it will probably drop the next day or so, but then another beta comes out.

I'm patient though. It's not like the Axe is spewing garbage tones. It already sounds better than anything I've owned.

That Tone of Kings. Man, so good.

First half is without, second half is with. There's cascading drive blocks. The preset is normally: Micro Boost > '65 Bassguy Bass, so when the ToK is kicked on it's ToK > Micro Boost > '65 Bassguy Bass.

The preset is built around an @austinbuddy preset pack setting. Sounds so good with Strats.

View attachment 53523

Sounds good. Those 2 drive types play well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom