Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say resetting the amp block that is done by temporarily selecting a different amp model and then going back to the original?
That’s one way to do it. Due to the recent “authentic” controls addition, most of that stuff changes too when you do that now.

Lots of great stuff.
However, USB input is not playing anymore...Went through, i think, all the possible settings. Running audio from my computer to be heard through Axe. Worked fine before update.
Anything changes in correlation to the new spdif/AES volume control;?

Lots of great stuff.
However, USB input is not playing anymore...Went through, i think, all the possible settings. Running audio from my computer to be heard through Axe. Worked fine before update.
Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Completely new Amp block cathode follower algorithm yielding more accurate results. The “Ideal” cathode follower type is no longer supported as it is incompatible and has been removed from the GUI. The Cathode Follower Time and Ratio parameters have also been removed as they are no longer applicable. A “Grid Clipping” parameter has been added which allows the user to adjust the grid clipping in the cathode follower. The default value reflects the “softer” response of classic British and American tubes like Mullard, Sylvania and RCA. Higher values simulate the response of modern Chinese and Russian tubes with more abrupt clipping.

Updated various Amp block parameters related to new cathode follower algorithm. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values.

Added AES/SPDIF Input Level control. This is located in the I/O->USB/AES menu. NOTE: this parameter will default to -40 dB after installation of the firmware. Be sure to adjust to the desired level if using the AES or SPDIF inputs.

Added Treble Booster and Mid Booster boost types to Amp block.

Improved Scene/Channel change logic. Only the wet data is muted when changing scenes and channels now leaving the dry data intact which results in smoother transitions.

Fixed wrong bass pot taper in Friedman Small Box model.

Fix FC per-preset corruption with some presets.

Completely new Amp block cathode follower algorithm yielding more accurate results. The “Ideal” cathode follower type is no longer supported as it is incompatible and has been removed from the GUI. The Cathode Follower Time and Ratio parameters have also been removed as they are no longer applicable. A “Grid Clipping” parameter has been added which allows the user to adjust the grid clipping in the cathode follower. The default value reflects the “softer” response of classic British and American tubes like Mullard, Sylvania and RCA. Higher values simulate the response of modern Chinese and Russian tubes with more abrupt clipping.

Updated various Amp block parameters related to new cathode follower algorithm. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values.

Added AES/SPDIF Input Level control. This is located in the I/O->USB/AES menu. NOTE: this parameter will default to -40 dB after installation of the firmware. Be sure to adjust to the desired level if using the AES or SPDIF inputs.

Improved Scene/Channel change logic. Only the wet data is muted when changing scenes and channels now leaving the dry data intact which results in smoother transitions.

?

this was all posted on the first page.

also: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-spdif-after-fw-5-00-beta-3-read-this.148908/

If you don't like this firmware then your ears are shot. I went through every single model that uses a cathode follower and compared it to the real amp. That's why it took so long. My ears have gotten quite refined and even I was guessing wrong at which was the amp and which was the model. The second to last amp I tested was my all original black panel SLO 100. IMO the model sounds better than the actual amp because the model doesn't hum as much.

Long live to virtual circuits that don't suffer from EMI and grounding design flaws like some real equipments.
This is something I really like about the Axe Fx.

I have a 90s Chandler/Butler Tube Driver where the hum was almost as loud as the signal. IMHO this version have the best sound but I had to redo the circuit grounding to get rid of that noise and make the pedal usable.

Lots of great stuff.
There were no changes to the USB subsystem and it was tested and works fine here.

All the Fender models except the 59 Bassman and 5F8 Tweed don't have cathode followers. The only algorithm changes were to the cathode follower and amps that use them. Therefore the Deluxe Tweed has not changed. I just tested it here and it sounds fine. That amp (and the model) is quite nasty when overdriven.

Here are my modeling notes for that specific amp:
// The actual amp has no grid stopper resistor on the second stage and therefore
// has LOTS of blocking distortion.
Thanks for the info; I use the Tweed Deluxe extensively-it is one of my favorite.

Thanks- that was not the issue. The computer needed a restart to understand the audio driver again even though it showed it in the list of available interfaces, but no audio.
Solved.

Thanks- that was not the issue. The computer needed a restart to understand the audio driver again even though it showed it in the list of available interfaces, but no audio.
Solved.
That wouldn't have helped anyway LOL! I could have sworn the release notes mentioned USB too but it is only AES/Spdif input that is defaulting to -40. Glad you got it sorted out.

That’s one way to do it. Due to the recent “authentic” controls addition, most of that stuff changes too when you do that now.

Speaking of the authentic controls, and I am not sure as I had to fly out of town due to my father in laws stage 4 cancer in its final stages, but I loaded beta 2 and LOVED the sound, but when rolling off the volume to clean up, it doesn't wanna clean up for me. Then I looked at the amp block and it was on the authentic page. I cant remember, is authentic the default now? Thanks as always Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom