Patch panel power socket

Harm

Experienced
Hi All,

I am planning to make a patch panel to get all my axe FX2 connections to the front of the rack. So far it will be all neutrik.
I found panel connectors for everything where you can plug in on both sides of the panel, so no soldering or anything necessary. For example: in the panel is a connector for XLR, male on the front (outside) of the rack plate, female on the back(inside) of the plate.
The only problem I have now is the power socket. Id like to use a connector that also has a plug on both sides and has the rectangular shape that is the same as the power in on the axe for example. Does it exist? If no, how does everybody cover the power wires? I do not want any exposed power cable parts in my rack.

Thanks in avance.

Harm

Heat shrink tubing works great, as does electrical tape.

I used the Powercon connectors on my rack, just because it looks cool and fits a standard D-Sub style jack, but then you need your cords to have the right connector too, so harder to find a spare if you forget

Manny, that is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.
As for those powercon connectors, I agree with Iq.
Thanks guys!

If you're talking about "power wires" carrying 120/240V, heat shrink tubing isn't going to be enough, no insulation.
Don't be the guy with half a roll of electrical tape holding everything together either. ;)

Heat shrink tubing works great, as does electrical tape.

Nooooooooo!!! Please no electrical tape. It's literally a sin.

When the application calls for it, always use heat shrink. Your pro audio project should not have tape on it or in it.

If you're talking about "power wires" carrying 120/240V, heat shrink tubing isn't going to be enough, no insulation.

Heat shrink is used on 120/240v (and higher) connections all the time. Heat shrink is most definitely an insulator. Quality sleeve even has voltage ratings.

I used the Powercon connectors on my rack, just because it looks cool and fits a standard D-Sub style jack, but then you need your cords to have the right connector too, so harder to find a spare if you forget

+1 for Powercon. I use those as well.

I like electrical tape, it works well in a pinch, though i of course prefer heat shrink when possible. Electrical tape works well for cable mgmt and routing too. I also find it really useful for brake lines and shifter cable routing on my bicycle handlesbars before wrapping with foam backed bar tape.

It’s simply a tool and has some valid applications in my book, though I just build projects for my personal use, so maybe I’m not picky enough.

Man I am from Holland and I have been searching for an hour now but I can’t find the connector from the link anywhere. Does anyone have a neutrik solution? I’ll just limit my wish now to: I want a connector and no cables exposed, preferably plugs on both sides.
Kind regards, Harm

Heat shrink is used on 120/240v (and higher) connections all the time. Heat shrink is most definitely an insulator. Quality sleeve even has voltage ratings.
On connections that are covered. I wouldn't suggest it to cover exposed bare wire with a current running through it.

On connections that are covered. I wouldn't suggest it to cover exposed bare wire with a current running through it.

True, usage is definitely context specific. If we're talking about the back of Neutrik's Powercon connectors, this is Neutrik's solution:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/scdr

Personally, I'd just heat shrink each connection point, and then use larger ~1.5" shrink over the back of the connector and cable joint. It's nearly the same thing.

True, usage is definitely context specific. If we're talking about the back of Neutrik's Powercon connectors, this is Neutrik's solution:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/scdr

Personally, I'd just heat shrink each connection point, and then use larger ~1.5" shrink over the back of the connector and cable joint. It's nearly the same thing.
Powercon is the only way to go.
I like the 'boot' neutrik sells, but I've just used heat shrink tubing, leave a little bit of extra length and put a zip tie on it so it can never slide down the cable. I've done this about with about 10 different patch panel powercon jacks and haven't had an issue yet.

I have the SCDR covers on my powercon panel, however I did use electrical tape to better secure that cover to the rack panel itself. Otherwise it’s just a fairly weak friction fit, so a few wraps or electrical tape added some security. Been working great for like 4 years now

Hi All,

I am planning to make a patch panel to get all my axe FX2 connections to the front of the rack. So far it will be all neutrik.
I found panel connectors for everything where you can plug in on both sides of the panel, so no soldering or anything necessary. For example: in the panel is a connector for XLR, male on the front (outside) of the rack plate, female on the back(inside) of the plate.
The only problem I have now is the power socket. Id like to use a connector that also has a plug on both sides and has the rectangular shape that is the same as the power in on the axe for example. Does it exist? If no, how does everybody cover the power wires? I do not want any exposed power cable parts in my rack.

Thanks in avance.

Harm
Where did you find those panel connectors that you can plug in on both sides? I couldn't find them on the Neutrik site, but I could be missing them.

The IEC-13/14 cables are IMO better than PowerCon for one simple reason: you can find a spare one easily and likely somebody at a gig will have one in an emergency.

Same reason I always thought XLR was optimal for use with the MFC.

PowerCon looks cool though...

You can also get the little over priced hinged cap covers for each port which look cool as well

I wired up a powercon panel using all short leads from a Furman, then wired up all the cords from my monitors etc to powercon.

Obviously could of saved like $80 in parts just plugging into IEC sockets, but was always fun plugging in the twist lock Powercon each night.

As I said, spares are a big downside, but Powercon is still kind of a silly luxury that is fun to have.

If your going to go through the trouble of wiring soemthing up, might as well make it a bit over the top right ? Lol

The IEC-13/14 cables are IMO better than PowerCon for one simple reason: you can find a spare one easily and likely somebody at a gig will have one in an emergency.

Same reason I always thought XLR was optimal for use with the MFC.

I hear you.

But I'll share - making a powercon cable is super easy.
I have a few 6" cables I made, powercon on one end, traditional 3 prong on the other. I keep them in my gig bag....so I always have a back up option. You could also put a spare one in the back of our Axe rig.

Worst case scenario - you forget your powercon cable....and your back up powercon cable...and your other back up powercon cable.
Just find a traditional IEC cable and plug it into the back of your Axe.

I will also share, I have one sitiation where I need a right angle...and they don't make a right angle powercon (bummer).
So in this case I needed to use an IEC. If you buy an IEC male jack on Amazon, you 'can' use a metal file to widen the hole on that D-Panel punch out, so that an IEC jack will slide in there.
I did this. It was a crazy tight fit (so it would not wiggle out), and then I epoxied the heck out of it, so it will never come out.
So you 'can' put an IEC into a D-panel if you truly want to.

Big fan of powercon. But be sure to tighten the screws on the connections, I once pulled the cable off the connector and shorted out the electricity in my entire home.

Man I am from Holland and I have been searching for an hour now but I can’t find the connector from the link anywhere. Does anyone have a neutrik solution? I’ll just limit my wish now to: I want a connector and no cables exposed, preferably plugs on both sides.
Kind regards, Harm

Tried conrad.nl already?

https://www.conrad.nl/zoeken?search=neutrik&searchType=regular

The downside of asking this on a forum which is predominantly American you will get links to American webshops. Which may or may not ship to the Netherlands. Not to mention having to pay custom duties.

Where did you find those panel connectors that you can plug in on both sides? I couldn't find them on the Neutrik site, but I could be missing them.
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I bought them at thomann. An example is neutrik NA3 FDM. I found every connector double sided except power.

Kind regards, Harm

Hi all, thanks for thinking with me. I went for the powercon, bought clamps for the wire and bought neutrik “Scdr”. That is a rubber cover uou slide over the interior side of the patch panel plug. It covers everything fine. Problem solved!

Kind regards, Harm

Back
Top Bottom