Axe-Fx III sounds anemic

I actually bought the course when it was released.

I did just now, and it sounds AMAZING.
however, many of other presets, including stuff that I had bought do not sound as good.
Yeah, well presets are often somewhat difficult to share between rigs. Ya have to keep in mind different guitars & pickups & what your vs the person who wrote the preset are listening through can be quite different as well and can cause a pretty drastic change in how a Preset will sound on one rig vs another. The Volume you are playing at will also have a noticeable effect on how a patch will sound due to the Fletcher Munson effect.
The best thing you can do is to start to write your own patches, & you will learn a lot along the way. There’s a whole wonderful world of interactive learning that the AxeFX, The Wiki & Yek’s Amp Guide & this Forum available to teach you.

Yeah, I get fantastic sound through headphones.. but ya gotta have good phones, and a headphone amp helps too. Obviously it’s never going to be as good as cranking it up thru speakers due to the physics of the physical interaction between speakers & strings/pickups. You’re going to loose that sustain & feedback we all love, but just based on tone & imaging a good set of headphones should get ya 90-95% there & transfer over fairly accurately.

There is a trick to experience the headphones as good as cranking it up thru speakers without losing sustain, feedback or physical interaction between speakers & strings/pickups.

1. Connect a small Bluetooth speaker to the Axe-FX Output and place it between your body and the guitar (assuming you are sitting on a chair)
2. Good headphones (I use Audeze LCD-2)

Nothing to envy from my couple of Mackie HR824 monitors! :cool:

RG8550-Blue-Tooth.jpg

I even had a backplate with velcro stripes to attach the bluetooth while playing in any position. I will take pictures when I find it

Last edited:
There is a trick to experience the headphones as good as cranking it up thru speakers without losing sustain, feedback or physical interaction between speakers & strings/pickups.

1. Connect a small Bluetooth speaker to the Axe-FX Output and place it between your body and the guitar (assuming you are sitting on a chair)

I even had a backplate with velcro stripes to attach the bluetooth while playing in any position. I will take pictures when I find it
That is clever and DIY. I’d bet something that was engineered to target this directly would be very nice.

Nothing to envy from my couple of Mackie HR825 monitors! :cool:

RG8550-Blue-Tooth.jpg

That is fantastic! You could be on to something big here Piing. Some kind of a vibrating system that oscillates your guitar in silence but gives you all the benefits of playing cranked way up.
Those Audeze look bad ass, I gotta get on board with the Planer Magnetic band wagon. I have a pair of Sony 7520’s which I really really like, & they handle 4w & I like things blistering loud, but clean & they definitely deliver, (with a headphone amp obviously) and a pair of AT50’s which are thin & cardboard like sounding comparitively speaking. But I was looking at what you have there & looks like they also handle big power (5w) at 70ohm so those crank for sure. Definitely a bit more pricey, but I’m sure once ya get inside that sonic universe it’s a pretty fantastic experience & well worth it. You’ll have em forever. Officially on the list.

Some kind of a vibrating system that oscillates your guitar in silence but gives you all the benefits of playing cranked way up.
Lilke a drummer's "Butt Kicker" but for guitar - basically a speaker coil with no cone; you'd get the vibration but without the sound (though I suspect the guitar might become the speaker, but that's pretty much the point! This could be a brilliant idea! I'd kickstart that! It'd be useful for anyone who can't turn up super loud, not just headphone users.

Dream Theater's new album has a song called "Out of Reach" where almost every note that JP plays in the first solo ends with it decaying into sweet feedback. It got me thinking about how people, basically my generation (I'm about 36) haven't really had the opportunity - or necessity, really - to play with loud amps. I bet a lot of us have only rarely played with a full stack and it's mostly been combo amps and bedroom level jamming when at home, etc. Of course there are exceptions, but still. Something like this could bridge the gap, especially if it was well engineered to provide everything the guitar is "listening" for if you were to stand in front of a full stack :)

Lilke a drummer's "Butt Kicker" but for guitar - basically a speaker coil with no cone; you'd get the vibration but without the sound (though I suspect the guitar might become the speaker, but that's pretty much the point! This could be a brilliant idea! I'd kickstart that! It'd be useful for anyone who can't turn up super loud, not just headphone users.

Dream Theater's new album has a song called "Out of Reach" where almost every note that JP plays in the first solo ends with it decaying into sweet feedback. It got me thinking about how people, basically my generation (I'm about 36) haven't really had the opportunity - or necessity, really - to play with loud amps. I bet a lot of us have only rarely played with a full stack and it's mostly been combo amps and bedroom level jamming when at home, etc. Of course there are exceptions, but still. Something like this could bridge the gap, especially if it was well engineered to provide everything the guitar is "listening" for if you were to stand in front of a full stack :)
I’m telling ya, this is a pretty phenomenal & brilliant concept & idea.. if it were to actually work I think ya got something big.. especially with Bluetooth, cause then ya don’t need any additional wires going back to the guitar.. and sound quality is of no real concern, cause your not actually hearing anything.

Caveat: I don't play on a silent stage; but I do get feedback quite easily with almost any gain on an AxeFxn ...just with monitors at some level other than headphones/IEMs. It's fairly easy, esp. w/ a drive engaged (I generally just go for power amp dist.).

That said, a wireless BT speaker attached as above is a take on other devices tried before - just wireless and perhaps "easier".

how would I know if a present that I had bought is compatible with my guitar pickups, furthermore, how would I know which position should the knob be in order to achieve the same sound as the sound engineer intended

how would I know if a present that I had bought is compatible with my guitar pickups, furthermore, how would I know which position should the knob be in order to achieve the same sound as the sound engineer intended
Some, not all, preset creators specify what style pickups/position are best for each , look at the literature that came with them, best way tho is to trust your ears and learn how to adjust gain, input trim etc. how you like it.

If you have any of my presets, please PM and I will help you troubleshoot any issues that you may be experiencing.

If you get stuck with any other preset sounding anemic (even through headphones), if you can post an audio sample of your playing and screen shot of the FX chain, I will try to help out as best I can with the available info.

Back
Top Bottom