Anyone using Axe-Fx III to control a DAW

Sorry if this is posted somewhere! Is anyone controlling your DAW from midi block in from the Axe?

I’m tying to figure out if the Axe can send PC changes through the USB to play, record, etc in cubase 9.5 to be more specific. Kind of like what the nectar pacer can do for DAWs. I do not want to purchase the pacer...but I will be getting the new FC-6 this week and would like to complete my studio and this feature is really needed.

Thanks in advance!

at this time, the Axefx iii doesn’t send “regular” midi over USB, just over the MIDI out. (yes, it uses MIDI over USB to communicate with axe-edit, but the two don’t get mixed).

one workaround would be to attach the midi-out from the Axefx to a midi->usb adaptor

at this time, the Axefx iii doesn’t send “regular” midi over USB, just over the MIDI out. (yes, it uses MIDI over USB to communicate with axe-edit, but the two don’t get mixed).

one workaround would be to attach the midi-out from the Axefx to a midi->usb adaptor

Thanks for your reply, I’ll look into an adapter. Any good ones out there that you’d prefer?

Would there be a way to send midi commands to my fousrite and then control cubase?

I do It with axe II and Mfc 101
You're really doing that with the MFC... The Axe Fx is only a pass thru in your case. The same could be done with any midi controller, with the Axe Fx III as well. But that's not what the OP is asking for ;)

Could it? Can I connect MFC to Axe-FX III and send messages via USB to a DAW this way?
no, because unlike the axe 2, the axe 3 doesn’t forward midi between the midi ports and usb.

people who relied on this feature in the past are unhappy, but its my guess that cliff has done it for a reason

no, because unlike the axe 2, the axe 3 doesn’t forward midi between the midi ports and usb.

That's my experience as well.

people who relied on this feature in the past are unhappy, but its my guess that cliff has done it for a reason

I may be wrong, but I have the impression that @Admin M@ is in charge of all the foot controller stuff. I certainly hope that reason is something like "have been busy with other stuff" rather than "decided not to do it".

Thanks all for your expertise. I am able to send midi through the DIN ports to my focusrite and from there I can control my DAW (cubase). The MIDI block from Axe is sending just one block and I can change scenes and that will give me different values, like punch in/out, play, record ... a butt load more... seems like the midi from Axe could be better though. Idk if someone else is doing something more elegant than what I’m doing.

Then again I may end with just the bare minimum controls at the FC-6 anyway so not many scenes to be created for the DAW.

Thanks again!

That's my experience as well.
I may be wrong, but I have the impression that @Admin M@ is in charge of all the foot controller stuff. I certainly hope that reason is something like "have been busy with other stuff" rather than "decided not to do it".

That's not "foot controller stuff" at all, though.

it’s not a foot controller thing, it’s the way midi is handled by the axefx.

on the axefx II (and i presume, the standard and ultra) midi was handled by the same DSP chips that were responsible for processing sound, so when a preset used too much “cpu” the unit would respond slowly to midi.

on the axe III, there’s a separate “500 mhz 16 core micro controller” dedicated to usb, interface, and (i’m assuming again) midi. this means that cliff has a fixed CPU budget to work with for each of those tasks, so if* cliff made the decision to not do forwarding of arbitrary midi from one interface to another in order to keep the UI responsive, it would be an entirely reasonable decision.

based on this speculation, it’s entirely possible that he’s got a reserve budget of microcontroller cycles that he may someday decide to use for midi forwarding... but if i needed that functionality today i’d buy a midi/usb adaptor

* this post contains a lot of speculation about cliff’s architectural decisions. i am in no way qualified to read his mind (just. ask my wife), and having built a couple of simple arduino projects does not qualify me to design something as powerful as the axefx.

That's not "foot controller stuff" at all, though.

Okay, I just thought because you previously commented on some FC-related MIDI features you were overseeing this roadmap/feature set.

Well, here's hope then that Cliff finds a couple moments when his epiphanies allow him to do some more mundane maintenance stuff then. :)

on the axe III, there’s a separate “500 mhz 16 core micro controller” dedicated to usb, interface, and (i’m assuming again) midi

That stuff got me more excited when I first read the Axe-FX III announcement than anything else, actually. I've been using my II with quite a lot of DAW interaction and it's been rather frustrating at times, as it's just slow, MIDI doesn't seem to be high priority, so there was delayed response, skipped commands and things like that. I was thinking that this would be vastly improved. In a way it was - the III seems to be faster, but we lost important functionality in the process, unfortunately. :(

Sorry to revive a bear thread, but did this ever get implemented? I’m playing with a backing track in a week and am looking (hoping) to start the track with press of a foot switch.

Thanks all

Sorry to revive a bear thread, but did this ever get implemented? I’m playing with a backing track in a week and am looking (hoping) to start the track with press of a foot switch.

Thanks all

I haven't tried it myself, but it should be doable. Just connect the midi out port to a usb port on your computer with one of those midi adapter cables, then set up a generic remote in your DAW for that device.

Back
Top Bottom