Latency Using Virtual Capo

brettllingle

Inspired
Title pretty much describes the issue here. I noticed when using the pitch block and virtual capo option there is a very noticeable bit of latency. This is even after simplifying my signal chain. It is usable but a bit annoying.

Are you playing loud enough to cover the acoustic sound of your strings, this is the most common symptom of using virtuaL CAPO

Title pretty much describes the issue here. I noticed when using the pitch block and virtual capo option there is a very noticeable bit of latency. This is even after simplifying my signal chain. It is usable but a bit annoying.
It takes time to listen, pitch shift, then produce a new notes.

As mentioned above, also make sure you can’t hear the actual strings, just the speakers.

Thank you everybody. I will try your suggestions when I get home from work tonight. Might just have to bite the bullet get heavier gauge strings and tune down.

Been using virtual capo recently. Surprised at how usable it is. Half step. Turning tracking very low seems to help.

I think the Axe latency is on par with anything else these days. Any pedal is going to introduce some latency from the processing, and the Axe has cut it down a good bit from earlier versions. It’s not perfect but unless it knew what you were going to play before you played it there will also be some degree of latency.

Playing around with the tracking parameter is the best way to dial in the feel/latency. get it as close as you can and if you need it even tighter then try the volume block trick.

Yeah, I've even had people who use the Drop admit that there's latency. Just gotta deal with it, honestly. The virtual capo is not good for solo practice or practicing solos at home in your bedroom - it could be useful for jamming with a band where everyone's already a few 10s of ms off from each other anyway. Don't play it along with a metronome lol! As the others have said, if you can't hear your strings acoustically, that helps, too.

Some of us are just more sensitive to latency than others. I read one guy on the Helix group say that he has no idea why anyone would buy the Drop or continue using it with their Helix as the Helix has perfectly good pitch shifters with no latency (in his opinion, he qualified that statement). I mean, they're not terrible, but there're not as good as the Drop... Maybe he just wasn't sensitive to it. Just like some people can sing along to songs and be completely off pitch but not know or care - they just like the song :)

(funny thing about that - I have a friend who does that. Not only is she completely off, but she's usually singing a perfect harmony and not even realizing it!)

Like mentioned above, the tracking parameter directly relates to latency. Stock setting was unusable for me. Turn it until the latency is better but if you go to far you’ll get artifacts so gotta find the sweet spot

Odd. Since the most recent improvements to the pitch algos, I can downtune a whole octave with barely any latency at all. And that's with tracking at 5 or higher.

Back
Top Bottom