FC6 - How long to learn/program?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
Curious, fellas; I jumped on my chance to order the FC6. I figure it MIGHT get here Saturday afternoon and I have a gig Saturday night. I really only need 2 presets and several scenes, along with access to the tuner.

Do you guys think I'd be safe gigging with it that night if it comes on time? Or will I need extra time to change settings, optimize layouts, etc?

Also, and I didn't see this anywhere, but is Faslink just a mic cable? Thanks!

It’s super simple to edit, and has 9 layouts already setup which work really well.

Everything is redundant too with the scribble strips, the colored rings, the main lcd screen etc so you always know what each switch is doing and when.

It’s amazing how much it can do with 6 buttons

I was thinking the same. I have an RJM MMGT22 at the moment which I have no plans to sell and was looking for a slightly smaller pedalboard to take to some of the more smaller cramped venues I have to play. I have my main preset with 8 scene's and the rest of my presets are around 4-5 scenes max. Do you guys use all 8 scenes in a preset with the FC6? if so is it easy to access them with just 6 buttons?

I was thinking the same. I have an RJM MMGT22 at the moment which I have no plans to sell and was looking for a slightly smaller pedalboard to take to some of the more smaller cramped venues I have to play. I have my main preset with 8 scene's and the rest of my presets are around 4-5 scenes max. Do you guys use all 8 scenes in a preset with the FC6? if so is it easy to access them with just 6 buttons?
You can use Scene Toggle to access multiple Scenes with one switch. You just have to be honest about how fast you need to access certain Scenes.

For example, on one switch I can get to 4 Scenes. Tap for S1
while on s1, Tap again for S2
Hold for S3
While on S3, Hold again for S6

Clearly, S6 is the slowest to get to, but it’s my lead distortion sound that I don’t use often and I happen to have that time if I really need it. S1 is my most used, so I can get to it with a Tap at any time.

So this approach won’t always work, but 1 switch, 4 Scenes, just as an example.

You can use Scene Toggle to access multiple Scenes with one switch. You just have to be honest about how fast you need to access certain Scenes.

For example, on one switch I can get to 4 Scenes. Tap for S1
while on s1, Tap again for S2
Hold for S3
While on S3, Hold again for S6

Clearly, S6 is the slowest to get to, but it’s my lead distortion sound that I don’t use often and I happen to have that time if I really need it. S1 is my most used, so I can get to it with a Tap at any time.

So this approach won’t always work, but 1 switch, 4 Scenes, just as an example.

Thanks Chris,Sounds easy enough, I think I'll be able to get away with that by using a tap for my scenes I need to access the quickest and then a hold for some of the scenes I don't need to access that fast. Just waiting for G66 to get some stock, shouldn't be that much longer hopefully.

The defaults are well thought out and highly useful. I'm confidant you'll literally plug it in and find it gig-able.
And if not, 30-60 minutes with EZ mode from front panel would easily cover what you described.

Using Axe-Edit probably faster.

Great ... I've been looking forward to it and hope it helps me to decide between the 6 or 12 when the invite comes and, ... on another note, just a quick thanks for all the good that you do on this forum - very much appreciated and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way!

Great, thanks everyone. Looks like it should get here Saturday afternoon - so that's perfect.

Like I said, I'm super simple. I could probably gig the Helix Stomp no issues (with my special mod mode that I invented adding an extra foot switch without increasing the real estate it takes up). Last gig, I forgot my RJ45 cable to use with my FCB1010 (with MIDImizer/power mod) so I had to play the whole night adjusting everything using the face panel buttons lol! That was frustrating.

But yeah; 1 preset with 3 or 4 scenes, another preset with one scene, and a button for tap tempo, which I can assume I can hold for tuner, right? That's about all I'd need to gig :)

Yea, you'll be fine! Setup was really intuitive- I was up and running with custom layouts in about 15 minutes. You're an ace with the FCB, and this is just a whole different (much simpler) experience. I think you'll love it!

I'm a pretty technical user so maybe not representative, but I was able to use the FC-6 pretty much immediately. Mapping with the EZ setup on the Axe-FX was a breeze, and now that Axe-Edit supports the FC it's even easier.

With what you need for your gig you can probably just load the factory layouts, but it's really easy to make changes from either the III or Axe-Edit III.

Danny W.

Welp, you guys were right. So easy to program that I spent more time trying to think of creative ways to use the buttons after I had what I needed programmed. Probably took me 5 minutes from the time the UPS guy arrived until I had my FC6 gig-ready!

I only use one layout and there's even one unassigned button lol!
1 - Toggles between two main presets
2 - Unassingned
3 - Tuner
4 - Scenes 1/5
5 - Scenes 2/6
6 - Scenes 3/7

What's not to love? :D

Welp, you guys were right. So easy to program that I spent more time trying to think of creative ways to use the buttons after I had what I needed programmed. Probably took me 5 minutes from the time the UPS guy arrived until I had my FC6 gig-ready!

I only use one layout and there's even one unassigned button lol!
1 - Toggles between two main presets
2 - Unassingned
3 - Tuner
4 - Scenes 1/5
5 - Scenes 2/6
6 - Scenes 3/7

What's not to love? :D

Great to hear! Mine will be here in a few days. I can’t wait to get set up. Workflow improvements incoming!

Hopefully this will scratch my itch for the 12 , but it is definitely going to be better than what I have MFC doing for me currently.

Worst case, get the 12 and keep the 6 for a dedicated Looper with bonus layouts if needed.

Hopefully this will scratch my itch for the 12
No joke, I think this cured my itch for the 12. It's so versatile that the ONLY reason I could want the 12 is just to have more buttons in front of me and save me maybe a tap here and there depending on what I need to do when I'm experimenting.

This thing is surprisingly large, too. I guess I was expecting it to be a little smaller, but it's huge. It's SUPER sturdy, though. I'm sure I could toss it off a building and it'd be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom