Beat Buddy with Axe-Fx III

I was wondering if anyone had used the Beat Buddy drum pedal plugged in to the Axe-Fx III to play guitar along with it. I’m wanting to use this for practice at home and was curious if anyone had any tips or suggestions about the best way to accomplish this using just these two devices.

Thanks!

I don’t have a Beat Buddy but use an iPad with Ninebuzz Drumbeats+. I don’t want to have to modify presets so I use a cheap Mackie 802VLZ4 mixer to mix drum beats, backing tracks from internet and Axe III. I am hoping to get a friend plugged in to Input 1 Right some time to see how the AxeIII handles two guitar players at the same time.

I did have one input on the mixer go out due to the ribbon cable problem. So I’m not recommending this particular model mixer. But a mixer in general is super handy.

Last edited:
I run a cheap drum pedal in some of my presets for jamming. I just plug the output of the pedal it into an input (IN3) on the AxeFXIII then create a signal path with whatever effects I want to use to fancy up the drum sound (usually a touch of Reverb, some compression, and a volume block) then connect that into the same output block as my guitar (OUT1), or give it a separate output (OUT3) and run both outputs separately into into a mixer. I would think the BeatBuddy would work fine the same way.

May I also suggest using jam tracks? There are GOBS on YouTube and they're amazing. You can buy all of Elevated's jam tracks on Bandcamp for like $20 and there's about 400 tracks in every key and style you could want. It all depends on your needs; but if you're just looking to jam or practice, you can't go wrong. Now, if you need a VERY specific chord progression, that may be harder to find. But yeah - I haven't touched my Trio+ since I discovered how useful jam tracks are. Like the old days when you could buy the blues or metal backing tracks on CD in the guitar stores :)

I don’t have a Beat Buddy but use an iPad with Ninebuzz Drumbeats+. I don’t want to have to modify presets so I use a cheap Mackie 802VLZ4 mixer to mix drum beats, backing tracks from internet and Axe III. I am hoping to get a friend plugged in to Input 1 Right some time to see how the AxeIII handles two guitar players at the same time.

I did have one input on the mixer go out due to the ribbon cable problem. So I’m not recommending this particular model mixer. But a mixer in general is super handy.
Thanks for this. I was thinking the same thing but wondering if anyone had figured out a “shortcut.” IMO, it seems like a minor thing and perhaps some might consider it an affront to such a beautiful pro-level device, but I think the Axe could benefit some by giving an 1/8 inch aux in for drum machines or MP3’s to play along with. A simple small trim or gain knob alongside it would finish the job perfectly.

I’m sure this has been mentioned before. Again, thanks.

I run a cheap drum pedal in some of my presets for jamming. I just plug the output of the pedal it into an input (IN3) on the AxeFXIII then create a signal path with whatever effects I want to use to fancy up the drum sound (usually a touch of Reverb, some compression, and a volume block) then connect that into the same output block as my guitar (OUT1), or give it a separate output (OUT3) and run both outputs separately into into a mixer. I would think the BeatBuddy would work fine the same way.
I’m trying to avoid this but thanks very much for sharing the details of how you set up yours. It is much appreciated.

May I also suggest using jam tracks? There are GOBS on YouTube and they're amazing. You can buy all of Elevated's jam tracks on Bandcamp for like $20 and there's about 400 tracks in every key and style you could want. It all depends on your needs; but if you're just looking to jam or practice, you can't go wrong. Now, if you need a VERY specific chord progression, that may be harder to find. But yeah - I haven't touched my Trio+ since I discovered how useful jam tracks are. Like the old days when you could buy the blues or metal backing tracks on CD in the guitar stores :)
Neat site with loads of tunes. I knew nothing about it. I’ve got a regular trio that I don’t use much.

Again, thanks for sharing about Elevated’s jam tracks. I miight not go that route but I always like having options.... kinda like the AxeFx. :)

You have three choices. The most versatile solution is run both into a mixing board. (I do this with my Axe FX 2.) Next would be run the beat buddy out to one of the Axe 3 inputs, which as Manny pointed out above, gives you the option of adding some great effects to the beat buddy using the Axe 3. The last option would be running the Axe-FX outs through the beat buddy inputs. I've never used the input on my beat buddy to pass through a signal so I don't know what kind of signal level it's looking for. You'd want to start low and come up to avoid clipping and such.

You have three choices. The most versatile solution is run both into a mixing board. (I do this with my Axe FX 2.) Next would be run the beat buddy out to one of the Axe 3 inputs, which as Manny pointed out above, gives you the option of adding some great effects to the beat buddy using the Axe 3. The last option would be running the Axe-FX outs through the beat buddy inputs. I've never used the input on my beat buddy to pass through a signal so I don't know what kind of signal level it's looking for. You'd want to start low and come up to avoid clipping and such.
Awesome info... Thanks very much!
:)

Back
Top Bottom