Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I thought it was there but my hearing continues to evolve. Right now I think it's there but in a year I might think differently. There are things I hear and feel now that I couldn't discern years ago. Most people only hear frequency response and that's enough to fool them. That's why those online A/B tests don't mean much. And you can't hear feel.

I've sat and played one chord for hours on end comparing the amp to the model and it's taught me things that measurements don't show. Every firmware update it gets harder and harder to tell the difference in blind A/B tests but in a month or three or twelve I might be able to again.

Cliffs, i appreciate you saying this. I think from now on people should say that TO THEM it sounds like real amps not that it DOES.

To me it still dosn't but when i say it here people say to me, well this is your opinion.
But it is not an opinion hearing a difference, So It is subjected to hearing details, but it is not a Subjective judgment.

I think it is getting closer all the time, amazingly so, but nothing can be like something else, merely because it is not. But that's also what makes the AxeFx what it is, no amp can nearly do what the Axe does!

I am a daily loving user of the AxeFx and i am grateful to you for being at peace enough to say your evolving, It is at the benefit of all of us and it is an incredible amazing box already, Thanks for the pursuit!

Without disregard to what you said, the sound is in your head. It can never come from the outside. If you hear it in your head you can get it out of most decent amps and guitars.. If you don't hear it, you can never find it...
Take a great player and he'll sound quite similar on any piece of gear. That said, the love for sounds and the love for video games are being brought together here, and so you have more and more game levels. Are you not gonna play them? I know i will... But Holy Grail?? That can only live in your head and money can not buy it...
Oh, I don’t believe that to be true. The more I learn about how amps work and the better I get at knowing my sonic footprints of Speaker & Mic types and the better I get at being able to apply that knowledge the closer I am getting to attaining my personal Holy Grail of tone. And the more & more refined Cliff brings his unbelievable creation to us, the easier and more efficient & effective it makes it. Not to mention absolutely beautiful tone(s), & not just my personal Holy Grail tone either, all sorts of desirable tones.

whip out your favorite single-coil axe, bring up a fresh Band Commander, crank the amp Input drive into Legacy 99 Bassguy with a little 2290, and try not to pee your pants a little when you beat a little hard on the lower notes of a 1st position E chord
Grabbed the EJ strat, dialed this in, lost track of time........fabulous! Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh, I don’t believe that to be true. The more I learn about how amps work and the better I get at knowing my sonic footprints of Speaker & Mic types and the better I get at being able to apply that knowledge the closer I am getting to attaining my personal Holy Grail of tone. And the more & more refined Cliff brings his unbelievable creation to us, the easier and more efficient & effective it makes it. Not to mention absolutely beautiful tone(s), & not just my personal Holy Grail tone either, all sorts of desirable tones.

All that is true, but using the term Holy Grail means that you reach a nirvana which feels perfect and that has to come from within.

Holy Grail is also subjective. What might be your perfect sound one day may not be the next. That has happened to me many times.

thats why i only use the term Holy Grail when a sound is *Perfect*. When i listen to records ive made 25 -30 years ago in which i felt it is perfect while recording, it is still perfect to me today. Perfect can never go un-perfect for me.
But like you say. Its all subjective, Im just reserving "holy grail" for when i feel it is indeed that, But Its all semantics... we can let it rest, back to having fun ;-)

thats why i only use the term Holy Grail when a sound is *Perfect*. When i listen to records ive made 25 -30 years ago in which i felt it is perfect while recording, it is still perfect to me today. Perfect can never go un-perfect for me.
But like you say. Its all subjective, Im just reserving "holy grail" for when i feel it is indeed that, But Its all semantics... we can let it rest, back to having fun ;-)

The reason those records from 25-30 years ago sound perfect, because your fingers were 25-30 years younger. ;)

whip out your favorite single-coil axe, bring up a fresh Band Commander, crank the amp Input drive into Legacy 99 Bassguy with a little 2290, and try not to pee your pants a little when you beat a little hard on the lower notes of a 1st position E chord

What is "Band Commander"? Thx

@FractalAudio some strange behaviour with the USA Lead model presence control when using two amps blocks. Only seems to happen when running 2 amp blocks and only when the presence is between 0.9 and 1.3 - clip below.

OMG, Leon, you hit upon my Holy Grail right there!

(JK, loved your clean Band Commander clip. Beautiful!)

Going to spend some more time with this tonight. The bass is definitely better. Skull Crusher crushed some skulls last night, too :D

Years ago I thought it was there but my hearing continues to evolve. Right now I think it's there but in a year I might think differently. There are things I hear and feel now that I couldn't discern years ago.

Cliff, are your ears insured? Thinking of a (not so funny) moment in the future when you actually start having hearing loss and the firmware 43beta comes out and you swear it sound better but everyone else is like...? Why are there so many highs? :p

Cliff, are your ears insured? Thinking of a (not so funny) moment in the future when you actually start having hearing loss and the firmware 43beta comes out and you swear it sound better but everyone else is like...? Why are there so many highs? :p
43 beta? No, I don't think he'll have hearing loss in just two years..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom