Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after losing almost my presets, I recreated this one and recorded something...
It's a sound I was looking for for ages....now it almost was too easy to create ;-)

Thanks Cliff for everything.
Despite probably needing and surely deserving a good rest, you keep up improving the AxeFx
Big hats of to you

Nice job! Love me some Quo.

It sounded like you were saying that you would not look into it, period. Not trying to be a dick & I understand it is beta firmware which is why I was trying to report an issue. Also, I assume the Bandmaster and Tweed Deluxe are not over 40lbs. Fenders are the models I use the most so it's important to me.
In rhe meantime, you are going to have to adjust the master volume down to 5 or 6. This will automatically get rid of the excess bottom end and looseness. Then adjust your gain, bass, mid, treble and level accordingly. Or turn your bass down to 0 to 1. These are the only ways to get rid of any mud flubbing tones that are coming out of certain amps with this firmware version. Or like @FractalAudio said, downgrade for now, until it gets reported that the mud is gone. Mine sound great, but I still had to adjust low end.

Last edited:
You are going to have to adjust the master volume down to 5 or 6. This will automatically get rid of the excess bottom end and looseness. Then adjust your gain, bass, mid, treble and level accordingly. Or turn your bass down to 0 to 1. These are the only ways to get rid of any mud flubbing tones that are coming out of certain amps with this firmware version. Or like @FractalAudio said, downgrade for now, until it gets reported that the mud is gone. Mine sound great, but I still had to adjust low end.

Take a look here ... ;-)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...version-5-00-beta.148607/page-18#post-1760600

^^^ THIS ^^^

If you're not using the Fender "magic 6" then your almost wasting your time .... My past experience w/ real Fenders would suggest that if you don't use this as your starting point, you'll always be disappointed with the sound. Fender's just sound like crap when they're dialed any other way ... !
Glad it works for you. Doesn't for me. One size fits all approaches have never worked for me. That may be a good starting point for some Fender amps but, as always, use your ears, not your eyes.

Glad it works for you. Doesn't for me. One size fits all approaches have never worked for me. That may be a good starting point for some Fender amps but, as always, use your ears, not your eyes.

Agreed. Magic Six is nice on a Super Reverb for ex., but it certainly doesn't work with all Fenders.

There are two "classic" ways to dial in a Bassman, as described in the Amp Guide. Of course, not to say that any other way won't sound great too.

I never said BMT was an advanced parameter, at least not on the 59 bassman. It is on other amps. I said, as the 59 is in 5 beta, you would have to go beyond BMT to get any kind of useable sound out of it. I also said I already had the bass at 2.
This conversation got me interested in checking out the 59 Bassman. To try to replicate what I think you may be hearing, I used humbuckers and dialed in a great tone on the bridge pickup, but when I switched to the neck, it had some of those qualities you mentioned, but it's a sound I associate with that amp being driven too hard on the front end. So I went to the Input EQ page in the Amp Block and gave it a low cut at about 90 Hz which didn't affect the bridge pickup much at all, but cleaned up the neck and took some of the woolliness out of the tone. Maybe that will help you?

This conversation got me interested in checking out the 59 Bassman. To try to replicate what I think you may be hearing, I used humbuckers and dialed in a great tone on the bridge pickup, but when I switched to the neck, it had some of those qualities you mentioned, but it's a sound I associate with that amp being driven too hard on the front end. So I went to the Input EQ page in the Amp Block and gave it a low cut at about 90 Hz which didn't affect the bridge pickup much at all, but cleaned up the neck and took some of the woolliness out of the tone. Maybe that will help you?
I was using single coil pickups & also have the input trim lowered to varying levels so it's a cleanish, edge of break up to lightly distorted sound. I know it's a bassy, wooly amp but was getting a nice, fat tone on my neck pickup before 5 beta. I don't usually tweek too much on beta firmware for the very reason that there can be issues with it & it could change with the final release. It looks like there was an issue found which will hopefully resolve the 59 Bassman issue. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...version-5-00-beta.148607/page-18#post-1760600

In rhe meantime, you are going to have to adjust the master volume down to 5 or 6. This will automatically get rid of the excess bottom end and looseness. Then adjust your gain, bass, mid, treble and level accordingly. Or turn your bass down to 0 to 1. These are the only ways to get rid of any mud flubbing tones that are coming out of certain amps with this firmware version. Or like @FractalAudio said, downgrade for now, until it gets reported that the mud is gone. Mine sound great, but I still had to adjust low end.
The Cut switch on the Amp Block helps a ton. I got curious and fired up the 59 & heard what you were talking about, but it’s not an amp I normally use, but the only way I could dial it out was with the cut switch on. I didn’t touch the MV BTW. FWIW. Even with the Bass on 0 there seemed to have some subsonic low end going on.
I’m using the Legacy 4x10 Bassguy M160 cab just for the record.

Last edited:
The Cut switch on the Amp Block helps a ton. I got curious and fired up the 59 & heard what you were talking about, but it’s not an amp I normally use, but the only way I could dial it out was with the cut switch on. I didn’t touch the MV BTW. FWIW. Even with the Bass on 0 there seemed to have some subsonic low end going on.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-version-5-00-beta-2.148664/

Sorry for asking, but what is all that Magic 6 talk? You walk to an amp, plug your guitar and turn the knobs to make it sound as close to what you'r after as you can. The reason for using a certain amp is the general voicing it already has + a few tweaks...Thats how its always been.
Since when anyone is using presets and magic numbers for a guitar amplifier? Do you have to have secret codes to use a guitar amp these days...? It really should never be that complex.
(im not talking about complex Effects presets- just getting the amp itself to do what you want it to).

Sorry for asking, but what is all that Magic 6 talk? You walk to an amp, plug your guitar and turn the knobs to make it sound as close to what you'r after as you can. Since when anyone is using presets and magic numbers for a guitar amplifier? Do you have to have secret codes to use a guitar amp these days...?
(im not talking about complex Effects presets- just getting the amp itself to do what you want it to).

The Fender "Magic Six" amp setup - SINGLECOIL.COMwww.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf

The sound has to be in your head, dialing this number is certainly not a remedy if one does not hear what he wants, and if he does, it takes a few seconds to get there.
Each amp suffers from its own particularities, as the guitar and rest of chain... Its funny to me that there is a "Magic number". It reminds me of taxi drivers of our generation that without a GPS can't even get home...;-)

Sure. But research will show that lots of players swear by it. The article tries to provide a scientific explanation. I can't tell if there's any truth to it. But without a doubt, with some Fenders it works very well.

Sure. But research will show that lots of players swear by it. The article tries to give a scientific explanation. I can't tell if there's any truth to it. But without a doubt, with some Fenders it works very well.

It is interesting no doubt!

Yea I used that too. I just wish that there would be a setting where the amps would stay the way I set them and not reset. I usually write down my settings or take pics of the screens, but I got lazy and was not changing anything during this quick update schedule.

The Cut switch on the Amp Block helps a ton. I got curious and fired up the 59 & heard what you were talking about, but it’s not an amp I normally use, but the only way I could dial it out was with the cut switch on. I didn’t touch the MV BTW. FWIW.
Time for this thread to go bye bye, and say hello and wow to beta v2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom