Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed 5.00 beta. There is something seriously wrong with the clean Fenders. The 59 Bassman, 65 Bassman, Super Reverb, Vibroverb, etc. With the bass on 0 and treble on 10 it is still a total low end mess. All bass. I had all of these sounding pretty good with 4.03. Please check into this. Something is wrong with the Fenders.

Post presets so @FractalAudio has something to work from.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and couldn’t find these questions answered in the manual or the wiki.

How can we tell if an amp model has a cathode follower? Are the cathode parameters just not there on those amps without it?

The manual does not list the Cathode Resistance parameter in the Power Amp page, but there is one on the Axe Edit Power Amp page. The manual lists a Cathode Resonance parameter but I don’t see one in Axe Edit.

In the release notes it says the “Ideal” cathode setting is no longer supported, but I can still switch to it in Axe Edit and I hear a difference. Is this a Beta thing or am I hearing things again?

How can we tell if an amp model has a cathode follower?
Plexis and similar amps (Friedman, Splawn, etc.) have cathode followers. There are others

The manual does not list the Cathode Resistance parameter in the Power Amp page, but there is one on the Axe Edit Power Amp page. The manual lists a Cathode Resonance parameter but I don’t see one in Axe Edit.

In the release notes it says the “Ideal” cathode setting is no longer supported, but I can still switch to it in Axe Edit and I hear a difference. Is this a Beta thing or am I hearing things again?
Don't sweat the Axe-Edit stuff until an update to Axe-Edit is released.

Sounds BIG. I did some clips with the Recto, Uber, 5153 and Mark IV - AFAIK the Mark IV doesn't have a cathode follower but it sounds pretty slamming in this update anyway.

The first clip with the Recto have a very noticeable difference between 4.03 and 5b. back to riffing.

Morning Leon! Yeah I can hear it, sounds killer buddy!

Sounds BIG. I did some clips with the Recto, Uber, 5153 and Mark IV - AFAIK the Mark IV doesn't have a cathode follower but it sounds pretty slamming in this update anyway.
Yeah! The mark IV is improved too because:
All models have been improved as there was a change to the triode algorithms as well.

Last edited:
Every now and then there's a bunch of guys eagerly waiting for a particular Australian guy to wake up and make a video about a new digital guitar amp modeler firmware. I can't express how much I love this community <3 :p

Also can't wait to finish work and try this firmware later today...

The first clip with the Recto have a very noticeable difference between 4.03 and 5b. back to riffing.

RIP low end flub –2019. You won't be missed.

The Bong is Real.....................

jasmine-smoking-a-bong.jpg

Is she smoking a cathode follower? Awesome!

Just installed 5.00 beta. There is something seriously wrong with the clean Fenders. The 59 Bassman, 65 Bassman, Super Reverb, Vibroverb, etc. With the bass on 0 and treble on 10 it is still a total low end mess. All bass. I had all of these sounding pretty good with 4.03. Please check into this. Something is wrong with the Fenders.

Not doing that here. Tried a lot. Bass and Treble behaving fine.

Last edited:
Absolutely not having that problem here. The Fenders are very well balanced. Have a look at what else may have changed in your rig.

Looks like I am the only one having problems with 5.00 beta and the clean Fenders. I don't know what happened, but all my clean Fenders sounded terrible with 5.00 beta. Like if I'd turned the bass on 10 and treble on 0 and they were distorting also. While I was still on 5.00 beta I also tried resetting the amps and re-dialing them in but it didn't help. They still had the same problems. I'd backed up everything in 4.03 before I installed 5.00 beta, so I spent most of the night re-installing 4.03 and re-installing all 4 preset banks and system files just in case. After doing so all my clean fenders sounded good again. I've never had to go back to an older firmware before. I'm glad I'd backed everything up. I'm glad no one else seems to be having problems with the clean Fenders. Maybe it was just a fluke. I am going to wait for the official release to come out to try it again, and maybe even wait until I hear some people post videos of clean fenders also.

Looks like I am the only one having problems with 5.00 beta and the clean Fenders. I don't know what happened, but all my clean Fenders sounded terrible with 5.00 beta. Like if I'd turned the bass on 10 and treble on 0 and they were distorting also. While I was still on 5.00 beta I tried resetting the amps and re-dialing them in but it didn't help. They still had the same problems. I'd backed up everything in 4.03 before I installed 5.00 beta, so I spent most of the night re-installing 4.03 and re-installing all 4 preset banks and system files just in case. After doing so all my clean fenders sounded good again. I've never had to go back to an older firmware before. I'm glad I'd backed everything up. I'm glad no one else seems to be having problems with the clean Fenders. Maybe it was just a fluke. I am going to wait for the official release to come out to try it again, and maybe even wait until I hear some people post videos of clean fenders also.

Try a reset of the amp block. Make sure Power Amp Modeling is turned on.

5.0 beta:

Things never sounded better, from clean to mean.

Ran through many of my Amp+Cab presets. Sounds fantastic so far. A few amp blocks may need some minor adjustments.

Make sure to try the Skull Crusher with cabs Legacy 50 and 51. Makes a Recto start crying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom