Firmware upgrades, general question

in general with the Axe-Fx III, it seems Cliff has really made a point to not change tone with FW updates, more so than ever before. not sure if anyone else noticed this.

of course major revisions to amp or drive properties will force a change. but otherwise, i think i didn't adjust a thing from 1.xx through even 3.00.

Personally, I tend to upgrade as soon as I can.
Meaning, NOT right before a gig, yet as soon as I have a few moments to check presets and make adjustments.

Firmware updates are NOT frivolous and DO represent and support more evolution of the product.
I appreciate this as part of the Fractal experience, which I have been a part of for many years now.

You don't "have to" update, no problem there.
Just know that the unit will keep evolving with you or without you.
That's what I like about Fractal products, Cliff's continued commitment to his creation and US, the customers.

P.S. Always great to have a backup
P.P.S Always great to have a 2nd unit :D

Just know that the unit will keep evolving with you or without you.
That's what I like about Fractal products, Cliff's continued commitment to his creation and US, the customers.

P.S. Always great to have a backup
P.P.S Always great to have a 2nd unit :D

It's a trip how this thing really is like a live animal, or a river, it keeps moving along. I just played for an hour with headphones, on a preset (which sounded fantastic tonight) that did not sound very good through headphones last week. Maybe its just my ears, and a different day, maybe not...

A second unit would be nice to be able to A/B different firmwares, and really compare the differences, be really interesting to do that.

Or record some things over USB with each firmware and A/B them in your DAW
You can do even better than that:
Record some DI tracks, then re-amp with different firmware versions.
Then you guarantee your A/B tests are consistent with identical playing ;)

You guys are certainly correct, not trying to be logical
I'm just saying 2 Axe III's are happiness :D
#GOALS

Also consider the Fractool utility. If you have a bunch of presets based on a common amp for example, you can run a batch edit on them all if needed to redial your tone for new firmware

Some new firmware is hard to hear improvements, the recent releases are not subtle and especially class A amps got a significant bump. In general it seems the improvements over the years have made it easier to get great tone quicker. The overall tone has improved also but nearly as much as the tone to effort curve.

Back
Top Bottom