Ares 1 for AX8?

Well, here's some reality by simple counting:

27 axe-fx III updates since Jan 2018. (1.03 to 4.01 as of today)

2 AX8 updates since Jan 2018
(10.00 in July and 10.01 in Sept, which fixed 2 bugs)

27 to 2.

If I was Cliff I guess I'd be more excited to work on the III also. Not to mention they are probably all working hard on the next-gen floor units, which probably will share some codebase... oops, there I go speculating again!

Last edited:
As long as we're just randomly speculating with any basis whatsoever, I'm going to begin claiming that the AX8 is getting the full Ares modeling and becoming a miniature III. Because magic, that's why.

27 to 2.

If I was Cliff I guess I'd be more excited to work on the III also. Not to mention they are probably all working hard on the next-gen floor units, which probably will share some codebase... oops, there I go speculating again!

Yes, and as far as I can tell, the AxeFX II has had twice as many updates as the AX8 in the same period, while being discontinued, and the FX8 has had no firmware updates since January 1, 2018.

Don't think about it, it will just ignite more speculation :D

I want to label a button on my AX8 that says.......SKULL CRUSHER

Cmon FAS :) please......

It's unfortunate that there are so few updates to a current active product (competitors are certainly making big updates) but the AX8 is still in my opinion ahead of the competition in terms of feel, sound quality, and amp models. There are gaps in the drive pedals and effects but nothing overly glaring.

I'm choosing to focus on getting the best sound and having the most fun with my AX8 rather than worrying about updates.

27 to 2.

Man... AX8 has been there for a long time and has been refined till the end of its possibilities, or close to it.

III Is a new device that has a long way to go.

I don't think we can compare them that way.

One thing to remember (if I'm not mistaken) is that the guy whose job was all things AX8's Firmware is no longer working at FAS (Joe Rogers) so is expected for updates to be slow at this side until a new guy fills his position.

Plus I would assume Fractal would like to compile the last Axe II update first, edit bugs before they run, if we are lucky an Ax8 11.
Cross fingers n toes.

The fact that Ares 1.0 is going be the final fw for the AxeFX2 makes me a bit nervous. I'd like my AX8 to be supported with new fw for a couple more years until I switch to its successor.

Given the dramatically lower processing power of the AX8 compared to the Axe FX 2 or 3, that's pretty much inevitable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever is the follow on the the AX8 includes enough horse power to get more of the AxeFx 3 secret sauce.

But I may be in the minority here - I'd be happy to pay more for more power, but I really don't want to move to a rack + footboard setup. The AX8 all in one form factor is just SO convenient.
Agreed. Hopefully whatever comes next, whenever it comes is a III for the floor.

[Usual counter-argument follows] - My ancient Axe-Standard is still making the sounds I dug when I got it however-many-many-years ago.
If you're enjoying the AX8 today - how much does the next firmware update really matter? How much more 'real' are the emulations of 40+ year-old Amps and stomp-boxes going to get? I suspect our expectation and addiction to constant "app" updates has spilled over to this part of our lives.

It's your (or my) money to do with as you wish according to your own value calculation - just seems weird to get hung up on a will-it-or-won't-it-get-the-next-software-update for something with well-proven utility.

"It's your (or my) money to do with as you wish according to your own value calculation - just seems weird to get hung up on a will-it-or-won't-it-get-the-next-software-update for something with well-proven utility."

For a number of us who own both an AxeFx2 and an AX8, it's been great to have a firmware upgrade path where each unit is on the same FW rev. That way, there's more confidence in porting sounds created on one to the other, without worrying about them sounding different.

So, NOT really that weird.

As to whether it's actually in the cards... THAT'S another story.

Back
Top Bottom