The Lemon Song...as in, is my new AX8 a lemon?

macfly

Inspired
After painstakingly tweaking eq for my new CLR and had the thing sounding amazing, I quit AX8 Edit, switched off the AX8, packed it and went to rehearsal. Powered up at rehearsal, and my system settings were all reset to factory...wtf? Fortunately presets were fine and I was able to get the eq close, but it worries me a little because this isn't the first weird issue. Glad I have a backup AX8 because that would have bugged me out on a gig.

Never had these problems with my FX8...

After painstakingly tweaking eq for my new CLR and had the thing sounding amazing, I quit AX8 Edit, switched off the AX8, packed it and went to rehearsal. Powered up at rehearsal, and my system settings were all reset to factory...wtf? Fortunately presets were fine and I was able to get the eq close, but it worries me a little because this isn't the first weird issue. Glad I have a backup AX8 because that would have bugged me out on a gig.

Never had these problems with my FX8...
so the thing that changed was the.... what? Global EQ?

Yeah, Out 1 for FOH, Out 2 for IEM, I/O settings, function switches. Not hours of work to get to a useable place, but never had to do that kinda thing with other multi-fx. It was a rehearsal, so certainly no big deal, and if it had been on a gig, I'd run out to my car and get the other one.

So, are you rolling your eyes? Is this not unusual?

Last edited:
How long between saving and powering off?

I believe there is a known issue and it's recommended to wait 30 seconds after saving before powering off.

Note: I'm not an AX-8 owner...

I believe there is a known issue and it's recommended to wait 30 seconds after saving before powering off.
What? Wow. I've never heard of this. There's definitely some delay using AX8-Edit and the AX8 that can require a bit of a pause. But 30 seconds before powering down? That seems very extreme. I must test this...

@macfly change the internal batter maybe?

What? Wow. I've never heard of this. There's definitely some delay using AX8-Edit and the AX8 that can require a bit of a pause. But 30 seconds before powering down? That seems very extreme. I must test this...

I'm pretty sure I've read this here... But again, not an AX-8 owner.

One thing that might cause this would be if you turn the unit OFF while it is saving settings. Wait a moment before powering down and see if this helps.

As M@ said earlier, shutting the unit off while the global configuration is being saved is the most likely cause of these issues. Any time you make a change on the unit, give the unit 30 seconds or so before shutting it off.

Both from this thread.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...settings-including-large-display-mode.131812/

Last edited:
That’s interesting. I had saved and played for a while before shutting down. I didn’t back it up, thinking I would test it at rehearsal first. I’ve learned a lesson about that ;)

Memory held between rehearsal tues and last night, so I’d guess its not the battery but will keep backups in case that turns out to be the issue.

Yes, this is true. I have had this problem of loosing all of my global settings several times. When I learned of needing to wait after changes before powering down I recalled that I had uncharacteristically shut it down right after a preset change. Since then I have waited the 30 seconds after a change before powering down and it has never reoccurred.

Now I have the fear of a blackout occuring right after a patch change during a gig :eek:

A patch change (changing from one to another) or a setting change in the preset?

The former is not the issue...
Oh I got that wrong then. Anyway in the original thread they also talk about moving an expression pedal, so the fear remains.

The problem as I understand it is relative to SAVING and then powering off.
They were also talking about moving an exp pedal before shutting off, but after reading that thread again I realize it probably was just speculation from some users. If that's the case, better for us.

Yes, this is true. I have had this problem of loosing all of my global settings several times. When I learned of needing to wait after changes before powering down I recalled that I had uncharacteristically shut it down right after a preset change. Since then I have waited the 30 seconds after a change before powering down and it has never reoccurred.

That's good info...may explain what happened to me in this case. If so I'm surprised it's the first time. I do sometimes reset to preset 1 before I shut down. I'll make sure I wait before shut down.

i've never experienced this. in the past there was talk about changing a Setup menu setting and immediately turning off. i believe it was more in the range of 8 seconds or so, maybe even less.

still, i've never had this happen in normal use of the AX8 for a long time now.

i don't think expression pedals affect this.

seems like someone will have to try to make it happen and report.

seems like it's gonna be me.

AX-8 don't have an internal battery, at least to mine it is not soldered.

I just opened the case last week for fun, and see an emply position for battery jack.

I doubt the firmware needs multiple seconds to save presets to flash memory.
Likewise. But I could see a situation where AX8-Edit takes multiple seconds to complete a series of write commands. But the hardware? No way. I'll save and flip it off in a few quick presses and a switch flip when I'm out live using my AX8 and no editor is attached.

Back
Top Bottom