Hooking up to PA power amp, and failing !

The first time I saw those combo Speakon 1/4" was on my new Matrix amp. No amp I ever used prior had the 1/4" hole in the center of the Speakon. Great idea though.

OP: assuming it's a normal Speakon, push the plug all the way in (it's 'keyed' so it can only go in when lined up properly) and then twist it clockwise until it clicks into place. That makes the connection and locks it in place. To remove, pull back on the silver release tab (to unlock), then twist counter-clockwise while pulling. The plug will rotate inside the jack about 1/8th of a turn.

If I had to guess, I'm assuming you just pushed the plug in (like a 1/4") and didn't know you had to twist/lock. Amirite?
Also, if the cables are not using Neutrik connectors, you may have challenges.

The jacks and connectors can have "compatibly" issues. I had a rack panel made as well as some cables. The cable connectors would not properly lock, and could actually rotate beyond the lock position. The company I got them from sent me different connectors from another supplier and they work fine.

The first time I saw those combo Speakon 1/4" was on my new Matrix amp. No amp I ever used prior had the 1/4" hole in the center of the Speakon. Great idea though.

OP: assuming it's a normal Speakon, push the plug all the way in (it's 'keyed' so it can only go in when lined up properly) and then twist it clockwise until it clicks into place. That makes the connection and locks it in place. To remove, pull back on the silver release tab (to unlock), then twist counter-clockwise while pulling. The plug will rotate inside the jack about 1/8th of a turn.

If I had to guess, I'm assuming you just pushed the plug in (like a 1/4") and didn't know you had to twist/lock. Amirite?
Haha Robboman , you nailed it . That was my first time using Speakon cables , once I figured out the twist , everything came together . Appreciate all the helpful response on the matter

Haha Robboman , you nailed it . That was my first time using Speakon cables , once I figured out the twist , everything came together . Appreciate all the helpful response on the matter

I think I did the same thing on my first encounter with Speakon, but that must have been 20 years ago. :)

Back
Top Bottom