Wish A/B/Y Block

trixdropd

Inspired
For a multiple rig setup a virtual a/b/y would be killer. Essentially a reverse multiplexer with the option of more than one output.

Right now I need to use 2 m-plex blocks to achieve the same result. (limited to 2 rows max only)

Ideally, the block would have 1 input that allows you to send to up to 6 outputs. Since we have channels this would allow all kinds of possibilities, including a simple 2 amp rig.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    209.5 KB · Views: 56
For a multiple rig setup a virtual a/b/y would be killer. Essentially a reverse multiplexer with the option of more than one output.

Right now I need to use 2 m-plex blocks to achieve the same result. (limited to 2 rows max only)

Ideally, the block would have 1 input that allows you to send to up to 6 outputs. Since we have channels this would allow all kinds of possibilities, including a simple 2 amp rig.
You don’t need Mux blocks to do this. Just set up the last block in each chain to mute on Bypass. Bypass the side you don’t want to hear at the output.

You don’t need Mux blocks to do this. Just set up the last block in each chain to mute on Bypass. Bypass the side you don’t want to hear at the output.

That is a way it can be done as well, BUT it's not very visual two months down the road when you revisit a preset and wonder what's going on. In a real rig we use Mux blocks.

Also, if I did the LAST block in each chain to mute on bypass I wouldn't have smooth tails with my delays and verb. Seamless is very much a requirement for me. (yes, I know I can mute before those effects, but then they are being fed when "muted")

When we get the 3rd amp block (please) Metallica would want the mux block I'd bet.

can you explain how it'd be used exactly? are you using multiple guitars? what is changing between A/B or blended with Y?

can you explain how it'd be used exactly? are you using multiple guitars? what is changing between A/B or blended with Y?
One guitar into 1 or more rigs. In the real world If I wanna use 1 amp for clean and 1 for dirty I would split my guitar with either a A/B/Y pedal or a rack like a Radial jd7. Then I could hit a button and send my guitar signal to the rig of my choice or both.

To do this in the axe fx 3 requires several extra steps. Instead of 1 block I can set I would have to change several blocks per scene to get what I'm after.

One guitar into 1 or more rigs. In the real world If I wanna use 1 amp for clean and 1 for dirty I would split my guitar with either a A/B/Y pedal or a rack like a Radial jd7. Then I could hit a button and send my guitar signal to the rig of my choice or both.

To do this in the axe fx 3 requires several extra steps. Instead of 1 block I can set I would have to change several blocks per scene to get what I'm after.
does a volume block have channels? i can't remember.

if so, you could use 1 volume block, channel A set to left output only, channel B set to right output only. C could be both outputs?

A would go to an amp block that is set to listen to the Left Input only
B would go to an amp block that is set to listen to the Right Input only
C would feed both amps

not at the gear, but would something like that work?

does a volume block have channels? i can't remember.

if so, you could use 1 volume block, channel A set to left output only, channel B set to right output only. C could be both outputs?

A would go to an amp block that is set to listen to the Left Input only
B would go to an amp block that is set to listen to the Right Input only
C would feed both amps

not at the gear, but would something like that work?

That is another way to do it. But it is less viable as you get more complex of a setup. What If I added output 3 as a loop to a real amp and wanted to select between 3 amps? See what I mean? A splitter block makes this simple; have 6 output boxes, one for each row set to "on" or "off", done.

The problem with that approach is if you want to use a block before the amp, blocks don't have input selects in most cases.

Here's how I do it now and it's seamless and great, but it's two m-plex blocks where one split block would do. Also if I wanted to add a 3rd rig there's not another m-plex block left.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    317.7 KB · Views: 24
That is another way to do it. But it is less viable as you get more complex of a setup. What If I added output 3 as a loop to a real amp and wanted to select between 3 amps? See what I mean? A splitter block makes this simple; have 6 output boxes, one for each row set to "on" or "off", done.

The problem with that approach is if you want to use a block before the amp, blocks don't have input selects in most cases.

Here's how I do it now and it's seamless and great, but it's two m-plex blocks where one split block would do. Also if I wanted to add a 3rd rig there's not another m-plex block left.
i mean, you could always add "what if" and make situations that go out current capabilities, so i never count on that.

i agree my suggestion doesn't work in all situations. it was a thought.

i mean, you could always add "what if" and make situations that go out current capabilities, so i never count on that.

i agree my suggestion doesn't work in all situations. it was a thought.
It's not so much of a "what if" as it is a "am doing now".

It works as is in the axe 3, BUT there are extra steps where it could be much more intuitive.

(yes, I know I can mute before those effects, but then they are being fed when "muted"

What does this mean? If you mute somewhere before those effects, they're no longer being fed any signal.

I'm wondering if mute-bypassing either amp block as needed in a scene would accomplish what the multiplex blocks are doing, at least in the examples so far.

My name is blathering tool, and I approve this wish.

The multiplexer is more satisfying than a cold beer and a bag of kettle chips. If there was multiplexer's little brother, ABY box, to use in front of two rows of gear for the same jamaican-electron seamless switching speed, just like you use the pedal, it would be more satisfying than a cold beer and a bag of kettle chips brought to you by Emma Watson wearing a itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka-dot bikini

What does this mean? If you mute somewhere before those effects, they're no longer being fed any signal.

I'm wondering if mute-bypassing either amp block as needed in a scene would accomplish what the multiplex blocks are doing, at least in the examples so far.

it means when I DO click the delay on it will output what I was playing BEFORE I turned it on...

Doing anything on the amp block will cause a drop out on scene change.

Last edited:
Doing anything on the amp block will cause a drop out on scene change.

I think I know what you mean. It's slow bypass/engage fades in general. The multiplexer does this too, but it's less noticeable when done before distortion. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/faster-bypass-mixer-multiplexer-ramps.147609/

Are you using scene changes (changing mux block channels) as the only means of changing signal flow in these examples? Multiplex blocks aren't really required for that. Mute-bypassing another block (volume, null filter, flat EQ) at the start of a row will do the same thing.

Usually the first block that's already there can work for this too. If thru bypass of that block is needed on any scenes, you'd need a channel available to get mute bypass mode when required. The channel could still be a sound used in other scenes; you just wouldn't be able to thru-bypass it in those while staying on that channel.

I think I know what you mean. It's slow bypass/engage fades in general. The multiplexer does this too, but it's less noticeable when done before distortion. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/faster-bypass-mixer-multiplexer-ramps.147609/

That's not what I meant. The gap on the multiplexer is fine. the gap when changing channels on the amp block is FAR larger. Also, when changing amp channels it cuts out effects down the line like delay ect.

No issue with that with m-plex

That's not what I meant. The gap on the multiplexer is fine. the gap when changing channels on the amp block is FAR larger. Also, when changing amp channels it cuts out effects down the line like delay ect.

No issue with that with m-plex

You don't need change amp channels for this. Just set the amps for mute bypass mode and bypass them.

You don't need change amp channels for this. Just set the amps for mute bypass mode and bypass them.

As far as I'm aware, ANY change on the amp block causes a drop out. That's why I don't do it that way in the first place.

EDIT: ^ I'm wrong about it cutting the delays. Maybe that solution is fine after all....

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.25.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.26.30 PM.png I just tested another way to do this: Use multiple volume blocks. Split your signal at the input of your "rigs" then put a volume block behind each of your cabs and before your modulation/delays. Use channels or control switches to activate the input gains. If you use a control switch, you can even set the attack to cross fade between settings.

I don't remember if all modifier settings export with the preset.
(note - the attached preset is a dummy preset with random blocks just made to illustrate the concept)

Attachments

• Dual Rig.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.25.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.25.37 PM.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom