WISH: An Idea for 4 channel Selection...

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
...use the hold feature to temporarily show all 4 channels of a block using the mini LCD displays. Once you choose a channel, the displays would revert back to their original state. You could then use the Tap function to turn the channel on or off.

The following two features in combination with the one mentioned in the OP would be a bonus:
1. The ability to name channels. For instance if your drives are: FAS Boost, TS808, Riot, and Pi it would be nice to see those for your choices instead of just Ch1, Ch2, etc...
2. The ability to limit number of channels displayed. If I'm only using 3 channels of my Phaser block, I only want to see three choices when I go to "channel select mode"

Last edited:
A commonly heard wishlist features from the beta team was a function to show a smart, automatic menu for effect channel selection — as done on several other popular pedalboards. In order that this wish isn't repeated again and again, I want to publish that we're aware of the request.

@atquinn In the name of K.I.S.S., I am not envisioning that any of those "bonus" items would be a part of something like this.

2. The ability to limit number of channels displayed. If I'm only uses 3 channels of my Phaser block, I only want to see three choices when I go to "channel select mode"
Just like Scenes, all channels are always available and the Axe doesn’t know what is “used” or not.

Just like Scenes, all channels are always available and the Axe doesn’t know what is “used” or not.
I think he asking for the ability to manually limit the ones displayed. Similar to the min/max options for the scrolling controls. However, I don't think it would really be feasible unless the channels you want to limit to are all sequential.

Well, yes, that why it's a request :D
There's no technological reason I can think of that would prevent you from creating a flag you could set on channels and scenes to exclude them for increment/decrement and selection functions. This would also prevent any need to have the scenes/channels you want to include or exclude be sequential.

I can understand (and am fine with) not considering them because they would both be niche requests (although I think they would both increase usability a bunch), but not on the basis of there being something impossible about them on the software side.

Austin

Well, yes, that why it's a request :D
There's no technological reason I can think of that would prevent you from creating a flag you could set on channels and scenes to exclude them for increment/decrement and selection functions. This would also prevent any need to have the scenes/channels you want to include or exclude be sequential.

I can understand (and am fine with) not considering them because they would both be niche requests (although I think they would both increase usability a bunch), but not on the basis of there being something impossible about them on the software side.

Austin
I didn’t consider you were manually setting the limit. I thought you meant it would “know” what channels (or scenes) you by chance never adjusted. It’s a common request.

The MFC and FC have bank limit and other similar limits, so this could potentially be possible.

...use the hold feature to temporarily show all 4 channels of a block using the mini LCD displays. Once you choose a channel, the displays would revert back to their original state. You could then use the Tap function to turn the channel on or off.

I am just setting up my FC-12 and this wish item, to display channels temporarily, would be tremendous as it would allow so many options without allocating switches/scenes for each combination. My only other suggestion would be to add a 5th mini LCD for "cancel".

The total 'icing on the cake' would be to have this feature along with channel naming.

Seems the shorter my memory gets the more labels I need....

It would be a pretty cool hold option

What I do right now when my 6 is set the hold to cycle through all channels, and the tap is bypass, so I can press and hold and watch the display cycle and let go when I get the channel I want, works well, but labeled channels would sure help.

I think it would be pretty awesome though to hold and have 4 buttons all change colors, display the channel names, and let you pick which you want, would be better than the cycle by a long shot.

How cool to be able to select 4 amp channels, 4 drive blocks etc all on the fly, and this would work even with the FC6

Honestly this is one of the best ideas I’ve heard suggested. +1000 on this one!

Hey @yek how does the RJM handle this? I would guess simply hit the channel you're already on

The RJM provides a Cancel button. :)

Don't want to sound too arrogant (but yes, I do), but I do claim the intellectual property for the "Hold switch to display a Channel Menu" feature on the GT. :cool:

I suggested it in an early stage of RJM's support for the III. Very happy when Ron implemented it indeed.

Is it possible to have it but without using a hold function?
We have this working on the Liquid foot controller too and you don't need to hold anything, you just quick tap the "Chanel" switch, and then the mini displays turn into the 4 channel, you quick tap the channel you want to pick. Once you pick your channel the layout come back to normal
I am wondering if it is different from the RJM ?

I love the idea of being able to name channels - so much easier than having to remember which delay is 1/4 and which is 3/8, etc. And another +1 for being able to smart select them.

Don't want to sound to arrogant (but yes, I do), but I do claim the intellectual property for the "Hold switch to display a Channel Menu" feature on the GT. :cool:

I suggested it in an early stage of RJM's support for the III. Very happy when Ron implemented it indeed.
Combine the channel select feature with named channels on the FC and it'd be absolutely killer.

Don't want to sound to arrogant (but yes, I do), but I do claim the intellectual property for the "Hold switch to display a Channel Menu" feature on the GT. :cool:

Brilliant! So can FAS use that idea?

Combine the channel select feature with named channels on the FC and it'd be absolutely killer.

Channel naming for any block would be sweet. And I think that there could be intelligent default “auto” names for a lot of blocks. Anything with a type like drives are obvious candidates. Delays could be extra smart and prepend time or musical division - 400 Tape, 1/8 dot Ping Pong, etc.

Channel naming for any block would be sweet. And I think that there could be intelligent default “auto” names for a lot of blocks. Anything with a type like drives are obvious candidates. Delays could be extra smart and prepend time or musical division - 400 Tape, 1/8 dot Ping Pong, etc.

Just as long as the auto names are short enough to fit in the scribble strips! :p

Back
Top Bottom