Oscar

I thought the show was fun! Not the best year for movies, but I can’t imagine how something as frivolous as the Oscars managed to offend so many people so deeply. Sort of fascinating how outraged people are able to get about their imagined idea of “Hollywood.”

Simple, most people dislike political correctness, half of the country identifies as liberal or leftwing, at least half of the electorate voted for Trump. Hollywood is full of PC, very liberal and very vocal about Trump. Since people don't like to be preached at, that is bound to offend some people. It's bad enough the Oscars get used to preach, it's worse if the movies get used to do so too.

The purpose of Hollywood is to entertain. People want to escape the daily grind of life by seeing a movie for a couple of hours. If they can't escape that daily grind in the cinemas then that is a mission failure for Hollywood. A lot of people feel like quit your preaching and start entertaining or else I'll take my money and find my entertainment elsewhere.

Thanks for your response! I'm not really interested in talking politics, and I know it's against forum policy, so I'm not going to touch the claim that half of the electorate voted for Trump.

That aside, I totally understand where you're coming from on how a lot of people want an escape when they go to the movies (although I thought it was interesting that a big escapist movie like Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture). I just think it's interesting HOW sensitive people are to this stuff. Whenever people get super steamed about stuff that (in my mind) doesn't really matter, I feel like there's usually some unexpected lesson to be learned.

Thanks for your response! I'm not really interested in talking politics, and I know it's against forum policy, so I'm not going to touch the claim that half of the electorate voted for Trump.

Well, somebody voted for him, he won after all. But the American system is strange and hard to understand for those of us who are outside it. Suffice to say that unless he was blessed and anointed by Saint Putin at least halfish of the voters voted for him. And that's a lot of potential movie goers you'd better not chase away by preaching to them.

That aside, I totally understand where you're coming from on how a lot of people want an escape when they go to the movies (although I thought it was interesting that a big escapist movie like Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture).

A movie about a black action hero getting major attention from PC Hollywood? Seems like a no brainer to me. :D

I just think it's interesting HOW sensitive people are to this stuff. Whenever people get super steamed about stuff that (in my mind) doesn't really matter, I feel like there's usually some unexpected lesson to be learned.

Maybe the stuff doesn't matter to you, in which case more power to ya my friend, but I suspect there might be some stuff that others, myself included, don't find that earthshattering either that will have you up in arms. It just used to be that we could agree to disagree, whereas nowadays we aren't trying to find common ground anymore, we're one step away from sending those we disagree with to the gulag. A very sad turn of events. The lesson is that we should learn to agree to disagree again. You cannot convince everyone, you cannot get everyone to agree. Learn to accept that there will always be people with different opinions then yours, that this is not the end of the world and actually a very good thing. Always be willing to expose yourself to something that you disagree with. So stay away from the ignore button. ;):D

116a2cc701c9c3abb248ea3fa6dfd907a0d862a1dfa71c856191bfea655d6e6c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom