Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Heartpedal 11 (based on Lovepedal OD11 / Amp Eleven)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
lovepedal-od-11-_1_GIT0024618-000.jpg Afbeelding1.png

Heartpedal 11: Lovepedal OD11 / Amp Eleven

NOTE: at the time of writing this model is available only as part of firmware Ares 3.02 for the Axe-Fx III.

Lovepedal’s OD11 (or OD Eleven) and Amp Eleven pedals feature the same type of overdrive, aimed at replicating the authentic sound of an overdriven tube amp. They won’t do over-the-top distortion, but convincingly produce organic, dynamic and touch-sensitive overdrive, without adding too much coloring of their own.

The OD11 isn’t produced anymore. It’s been integrated in the Amp Eleven pedal, with an added boost section.

It's not entirely clear if Fractal Audio's model is based on the OD11 pedal or Amp Eleven pedal.

“AMP ELEVEN, fat, organic tone of an overdriven tube amp – with separate controls for bass and tone. (…) Smooth, round, balanced, low-to-medium gain overdrive. Slight overdrive to mild distortion. Great dynamic response and open sound”Lovepedal

The number “11” in the pedal's name probably refers to Rob Reiner’s “This Is Spinal Tap” mockumentary:

The pedal, together with some others, has caused some stir on Internet forums, because of alleged similarities to the Timmy.

More information about this pedal:
The diode-based OD11 has these controls:
  • Drive: amount of overdrive (model: Drive).
  • Level: output volume (model: Level).
  • Bass: bass cut (model: Bass Cut).
  • Tone: amount of treble (model: Tone).
The Drive block allows us to adjust far more things than the modeled unit: Bias, Slew, Mix, High Cut, Diode switching and other parameters are available. But that's beyond the scope of this thread. Those parameters are discussed in the manual and wiki.

Link to the list of published threads

This (and more) information will also be included in the next edition of Yek's Guide to the Drive Models.

Last edited:
This is my absolute favourite new pedal on the latest update. Playing it through the Supro model and it sounds so full of life with all my guitars (LP, Tele, Strats etc). I tend to put the drive quite low on the drive block, (around 11 o'clock) and it has plenty of balls when you need it! Then it cleans up beautifully when you roll your guitar volume back.

And I had no problem matching sounds from various YT videos of it, Cliff really nailed this one!

Yes, it's a terrific amp-like sounding pedal.

But this might at the same time be its weak point: you might as well use a similar amp model instead.

I like the model with Drive below 12 o'clock, and with Bass Cut turned up to get rid of the woofy low end.

Yek's guides are back! Really enjoying this drive in the current beta release, turns a clean Fender tone into a roaring rock beast.

Yes, this ranks at the top with a couple others for that purpose.

Thank you, Yek. Experimenting with the drive and amp models while reading your guides adds an extra pleasure to the experience.

I have a question about the Heartpedal 11: I have placed it in front of a Tweed Deluxe, imitating the settings from the Anderton's video, and I notice that the tone controls of the real OD11 are "Bass" and "Treble". However, at the Axe-FX they are "Bass Cut" and "Treble". Therefore, the Bass knob is reversed.

Not a big issue, just wondering if it is reversed intentionally or accidentally.

BTW: the tones I get are quite similar to that video. It's amazing

Last edited:
Thank you, Yek. Experimenting with the drive and amp models while reading your guides adds an extra pleasure to the experience.

I have a question about the Heartpedal 11: I have placed it in front of a Deluxe, imitating the settings from the Anderton's video, and I notice that the tone controls of the real OD11 are "Bass" and "Treble". However, at the Axe-FX they are named "Bass Cut" and "Treble". Therefore, the Bass knob is reversed.

Not a big issue, just wondering if it is reversed intentionally or accidentally.

BTW: the tones I get are quite similar to that video. It's amazing

On some models the controls are reversed relative to the actual pedal.

I used to spend many hours trying to get a simple and clean lead-tone like Latimer's solo at Rajaz. The result was never fully satisfactory, browsing through hundreds of commercial IR's and complicating myself with compressors, EQ's, etc...

I don't know if it has been my lucky day, or if it is the Heartpedal-11 or what, but I've got it (or at least one that I like as much as that one, and I can spend hours playing with it). I can't believe it!

(Strat with Fat '50 on neck) > H-11 > Deluxe Tweed > CAB Legacy #81

I attach the preset.

Attachments

• Tweed Deluxe + Heart-11.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I’ll give it a try later this week. I’ve been liking the 6CA7 myself.

I normally go for either the 1981 DRV or the OCD with this amp, but I wanted to try something different tonight. I played around first with the Tube Driver 3-knob, which was awesome, but then when I really started messing with the OD11, it felt like my neck humbucker (on a 24 fret super strat) started cooking. I feel like I can never get any damn soul out of that pickup, probably because of the 24 fret placement. But with the OD11 dialed in just perfectly, I got the closest to soul I've found yet.

And the range of what you can get with this combination is really astounding, without any deep tweaks; it was like altering the gain of a Marshall without losing any character at all. Some hot rodded Marshall type tones don't hit me so much, because I feel like some character can sometimes go away, but that was not the case here. I was running into factory cabs 703 (4x12 Fractal GB 57) & 721 (4x12 Fractal V30 160 1B) in bank 2, with Smoothing at 7.00 for each cab, and some Proximity to taste. Anyway, complete awesomeness.

Back
Top Bottom