On waiting list for Axe-Fx III - Need Power Amp Suggestions!

BakerySpecial

As a tube amp guy that dabbles in modeling, I was to purchase a power amp to go along with my new Axe FX III. I will use if for pushing a traditional cab and a FRFR Mission 212 cab. What's going to give me the best amp feel tone?

That will be subjective with a lot of people. I use a QSC power amp and Vox 2-12 cabs for amp models. Some use the Mission powered FRFR cabs, some use The Friedman FRFR cabs. Some will go with QSC k-12 PA powered PA or other powered PA cabs.To me most FRFR cabs are over priced when a separate power amp and flat full range speakers sounds just as good. Having separate things to hook up is a little more trouble, but with me if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The best thing to do is select a budget that you want to spend. You do want to stay stereo, so you will need two sets. Stereo is a world of difference from mono. If you don't mind spending the money, it appears Friedman and Mission are the best Powered FRFR. I also have the QSC K-12 Cabs but only have one cab. If I were going with a powered PA speaker Yamaha DZR12 2000W 12" Powered Speaker is the best for the money with a 2 in tweeter voice coil. That is not RMS power I don't think. I compared them with my QSC k-12 and The Yamaha's are better. You get what you pay for, but I do think the Mission and Friedman are overpriced. Many will disagree, but 2 of the Yamaha's above is the best for sound and power.

Many have the problem of playing at home on studio monitors then going out live and being disappointed with their sound. The Yamaha will get you closer to the studio monitor mix at home. I have Adam Reference Monitors and they are very flat, so to me a high end powered PA is the best if you are starting from scratch. The Axe FX has a global EQ to adjust the difference between your home reference Monitors and your live rigs. With good Reference monitors at home and the Yamaha rig very little will need to be changed. FRFR cabs for guitar seems a little boomy from my home mix.

That will be subjective with a lot of people. I use a QSC power amp and Vox 2-12 cabs for amp models. Some use the Mission powered FRFR cabs, some use The Friedman FRFR cabs. Some will go with QSC k-12 PA powered PA or other powered PA cabs.To me most FRFR cabs are over priced when a separate power amp and flat full range speakers sounds just as good. Having separate things to hook up is a little more trouble, but with me if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The best thing to do is select a budget that you want to spend. You do want to stay stereo, so you will need two sets. Stereo is a world of difference from mono. If you don't mind spending the money, it appears Friedman and Mission are the best Powered FRFR. I also have the QSC K-12 Cabs but only have one cab. If I were going with a powered PA speaker Yamaha DZR12 2000W 12" Powered Speaker is the best for the money with a 2 in tweeter voice coil. That is not RMS power I don't think. I compared them with my QSC k-12 and The Yamaha's are better. You get what you pay for, but I do think the Mission and Friedman are overpriced. Many will disagree, but 2 of the Yamaha's above is the best for sound and power.

Many have the problem of playing at home on studio monitors then going out live and being disappointed with their sound. The Yamaha will get you closer to the studio monitor mix at home. I have Adam Reference Monitors and they are very flat, so to me a high end powered PA is the best if you are starting from scratch. The Axe FX has a global EQ to adjust the difference between your home reference Monitors and your live rigs. With good Reference monitors at home and the Yamaha rig very little will need to be changed. FRFR cabs for guitar seems a little boomy from my home mix.
What does any of this have to do with the question? He asked specifically about a power amp. Nothing about cabs or powered FRFR...

What does any of this have to do with the question? He asked specifically about a power amp. Nothing about cabs or powered FRFR...

He actually did mention traditional cab and FRFR (OP).

Subjective is not incorrect. The Axe III has all the 'feel' things you need for a FRFR situation. Can't speak authoritatively about traditional cabs power amps, but it's rare to find someone who doesn't like the Matrix line. If you look around in this forum you'll find many experiences.

Good luck.

He actually did mention traditional cab and FRFR (OP).
Yes, and the OP asked specifically about what AMP to use with those.

The post I replied to was a lot of stuff about powered FRFR and studio monitors. Actually, the 2nd sentence did refer to a power amp...;)

I was trying to be helpful to someone else and you should not be addressing me, you should be giving your opinion with him. If you would spend less time criticizing what others say and stick with being helpful to the person asking and not be offensive to them. You post a lot of good ideas and I respect that. What I don't respect is how you come across to others sometime. Please read what you type and say to yourself, am I being offensive? Let your knowledge be powerful here and be a nice guy.

I was trying to be helpful to someone else and you should not be addressing me, you should be giving your opinion with him. If you would spend less time criticizing what others say and stick with being helpful to the person asking and not be offensive to them. You post a lot of good ideas and I respect that. What I don't respect is how you come across to others sometime. Please read what you type and say to yourself, am I being offensive? Let your knowledge be powerful here and be a nice guy.
I'll post this nicely. I have no intention of being offensive, but the OP asked specifically about what power amp he should use. You posted a lot of stuff about powered FRFR. Nothing about a power amp. How is that helping answer the question that was asked?

I'll post this nicely. I have no intention of being offensive, but the OP asked specifically about what power amp he should use. You posted a lot of stuff about powered FRFR. Nothing about a power amp. How is that helping answer the question that was asked?
I even seen an admin tell you in the last statement tell you that his last statement that what I said was valid. It is none of your business what I post to someone else, and it is not my business what you post to someone else. Why don't you stick to talking to the person that has the problem and stop offending people. I can't believe the admins have not kicked you off here. I did not post anything incorrect. I did state that all was subjective. Something else, if I were to post something inaccurate, that is an admins job to correct me, not you.I do not want any hard feeling between us. All I am asking is you think before you post anything to me and be nice. If it is someone else asking for help, you give your help and and others will give their help. It is not your place to micromanage what other say. That is a admins job in case someone says something incorrect. As I stated before, you post a lot and have a lot of knowledge and that is great. Learn some tact to go with that and people will actually respect you.

I think the Fryette Power Station could be a good thing for a tube amp person dabbling in modelling to try out .... it has the tools built in to do useful things with both tube amps and modeller processors ..... and has a decent size tube power section so should be able to produce the volume at low/clean input settings.

I even seen an admin tell you in the last statement tell you that his last statement that what I said was valid. It is none of your business what I post to someone else, and it is not my business what you post to someone else. Why don't you stick to talking to the person that has the problem and stop offending people. I can't believe the admins have not kicked you off here. I did not post anything incorrect. I did state that all was subjective. Something else, if I were to post something inaccurate, that is an admins job to correct me, not you.I do not want any hard feeling between us. All I am asking is you think before you post anything to me and be nice. If it is someone else asking for help, you give your help and and others will give their help. It is not your place to micromanage what other say. That is a admins job in case someone says something incorrect. As I stated before, you post a lot and have a lot of knowledge and that is great. Learn some tact to go with that and people will actually respect you.
This is a discussion forum. It's everyone's business what you (or anyone else) posts to anyone. That's how forums work.

If you post something inaccurate, anyone is free to say so. I don't think you quite understand forums.

In any case, if you were offended, I apologize. As I already stated, that was not my intent. I'll refrain from commenting further on any of your posts.

Back
Top Bottom