Just got an Axe-Fx II, first post

Hey @Toowoombaus! Since you just got the Axe FX 2, I would stick with the latest stable firmware which is Quantum 10.01. I've noticed some weird phasing issues with the new "Ares" 1.00 Beta firmware. It is in beta, after all.

However, firmware issues aside, if you're summing stereo patches down to mono that the effects aren't causing phasing. There are some settings in the cab block that could be doing this. Check the "Room" tab and make sure the Mic Spacing is at 0 so there is no stereo information. Others have suggested that the "Air" setting can make things sound phasey, too.

Hey @Toowoombaus! Since you just got the Axe FX 2, I would stick with the latest stable firmware which is Quantum 10.01. I've noticed some weird phasing issues with the new "Ares" 1.00 Beta firmware. It is in beta, after all.

However, firmware issues aside, if you're summing stereo patches down to mono that the effects aren't causing phasing. There are some settings in the cab block that could be doing this. Check the "Room" tab and make sure the Mic Spacing is at 0 so there is no stereo information. Others have suggested that the "Air" setting can make things sound phasey, too.
Thanks for your concern. But within the first hour of getting the AXE, I wiped it, upgraded the firmware, installed Axe Edit, downloaded the free cab packs so I’ll deal with it...;)

I understand the summing stereo down to mono, Air and Room potential for phase issues.

I posted in your thread about Phase issues. I still hear it sometimes. When I do I change IR’s and get rid of it.

Enjoying the ride! :)

The ML cab packs are quite good. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Austinbuddy Naked Tone Pack. He also has a new DreamRigs pack out for the II. The only reason I have not bought the latter it is that I have recently upgraded to the III. Welcome to the Fractal Family. It will be a fun ride, I assure you.

Yes Guitars are fun and they won't become obsolete like the Axe FX II. ;)

But I still love amps, that's why I appreciate the Axe FX so much

You don't even look at amps anymore? you said: "It would be taking a step backwards" I think I know what you mean, but would you care to elaborate?

Is that like a graphic artist in the late 1980's saying "I don't draw in my sketchbooks with pencil anymore because I really need to spend that time in Photoshop and Illustrator and get my digital chops together"?

I think Fractal has a ways to go before they become to amplifiers, what Pro Tools has become to recording studios.

But it won't be too long before they are ubiquitous.

Well for me the experience is different, I enjoy it more and I feel it is a better overall experience with Fractal.
If I was rich, would I own a bunch of nice tube amps... yes.
I still have Marshall & Rivera tube amps, I just don't play them any more.

I don't miss hauling a 4x12 cab, 100 watt head, pedal board and everything else to connect it all.
I don't have to worry about any effect pedal knobs getting bumped in transport for example.

The reliability, consistent tone, size weight and endless combinations makes it the best choice for me. :)

I've only bought one IR pack, it was the ML Sound Labs Greatest Hits, which I got soon after downloading the free "best IR in the world" from them (included in the pack as "Mikko's Cab"). I really like it as it has a good variety of different speakers and cabs (biased towards V30 cabs) but is pretty concise with only one IR per cab so it's not overwhelming to dig in to. I think it's a least a great starting point and a good introduction to their IRs and would be a good jumping off point for when you find one you like to buy a more detailed pack.

I've only bought one IR pack, it was the ML Sound Labs Greatest Hits, which I got soon after downloading the free "best IR in the world" from them (included in the pack as "Mikko's Cab"). I really like it as it has a good variety of different speakers and cabs (biased towards V30 cabs) but is pretty concise with only one IR per cab so it's not overwhelming to dig in to. I think it's a least a great starting point and a good introduction to their IRs and would be a good jumping off point for when you find one you like to buy a more detailed pack.
Yes I watched a bunch of his demos on YouTube I think he makes some of the best IR’s I’ve heard.
What kind of amp models do you like?

Yes I watched a bunch of his demos on YouTube I think he makes some of the best IR’s I’ve heard.
What kind of amp models do you like?

I use a few for my stuff. I currently use the 5153 blue 50w, 5153 green, and the ODS-100 clean in one "rig". That's running through the 5153 cab and the USA Bulb Cab blended in the cab block. This is primarily used for solo guitar rock type music.

I also use the Friedman Dirty Shirley along with the ODS-100 through the creamback "brit cream" cab for more of a blues jam kind of set up.

Back
Top Bottom