Input and Output Levels

rockhound252

Inspired
Hi all. I'm cheking my AXE and i'm not sure what are the volume parameters i have too keep. I received the machine 6 month ago but i have only used that for one concert, I Ussually feel the sound is clearlier than i would want. Then, Do you ussually change the input and output volume? I Mean the Instrument Input and the different outputs levels, like Scenes, Out 1 or Out 2 Levels, etc. The out 1 knob I ussually keep at noon position for the gigs or soundchecks. Thanks

Input volume has a really weird design, and I've been mocked for expressing this opinion before:
Red doesn't mean you are clipping. Which is just silly.
Standard practise is, that your loudest strum should light up the reds.
You will never know whether you are actually clipping, unless you go the utility/Status page.
Ideally, you have to set your input as high as possible without clipping. Setting the input volume does not affect how loud your input hits the amp, it's basically just to set where the noise floor is. Though, i did notice some tonal differences with different input levels, it may just been a placebo.
Just set it and leave it.

Output - Middle is fine. It's not too high or too low for the sound engineer. And that's all that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happen is when i practise at home with earphones seems i don't get a big crunch tone but later when i connect to the FOH seems it works minimally good... I don't have a good reference to get the tones at home... Maybe the problem is not having a good monitors, but not sure.. I would like to set a song at home and when i go to a gig obtain the same sound from the PA.

What happen is when i practise at home with earphones seems i don't get a big crunch tone but later when i connect to the FOH seems it works minimally good... I don't have a good reference to get the tones at home... Maybe the problem is not having a good monitors, but not sure.. I would like to set a song at home and when i go to a gig obtain the same sound from the PA.
To be fair, you will never ever get the same sound in a gig as at home.
You are at the mercy of the sound engineer and how he mixes you with the rest of the instruments, and the PA speakers you are played through.
Your best bet is to achieve your sound on studio monitors. Which you don't have...

Back
Top Bottom