Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta

First of all, Cliff; this is an AWESOME update!

Cliff, you da man.
I'm not yet an Axe FX 3 user, but here's Question: So, the drive blocks now have a page where it only shows knobs that actually exist on the pedal, right?...

This was what I am still a little confused. I love my sufr green Timmy, and I use the Teemah! in the Helix and the Timothy in the Axe Fx, but this is a little odd; the Timmothy has only 4 knobs on the main screen: Gain, Bass Cut, Treble, and Level. Is there a reason it doesn't just have the knobs the actual pedal has? In other words, Gain, Low Cut, High Cut, Level, and a three-way toggle (like the Line 6 model). I think it sounds great - it's just got confusing parameters and I'm not sure what diodes or whatever to change in order to accomplish the pedal's toggle modes, and why the treble knob defaults to 12 o'clock; not sure if it's like a 'super' treble knob that adds AND cuts or what, but it's just unfamiliar territory.

That aside, I was THRILLED to just see 3 knobs when I loaded up an 808 - that was one of my first "wish list" requests when I joined the forums and got my Axe III. Thank you so much; I know it'll only get better :)

Last edited:
I notice when I turn the Rat pedal drive to zero i lose all gain from my amp. no so with other drive pedals. Love the new drive algos ..sounds great. Defiantly using less drive then before

Last edited:
I notice when I turn the Rat pedal drive to zero i lose all gain from my amp. no so with other drive pedals. Love the new drive algos ..sounds great. Defiantly using less drive then before
Probably it's the design of the rat, some pedals go completely (or almost) silent with the gain knob down.

This was what I am still a little confused. I love my sufr green Timmy, and I use the Teemah! in the Helix and the Timothy in the Axe Fx, but this is a little odd; the Timmothy has only 4 knobs on the main screen: Gain, Bass Cut, Treble, and Level. Is there a reason it doesn't just have the knobs the actual pedal has? In other words, Gain, Low Cut, High Cut, Level, and a three-way toggle (like the Line 6 model). I think it sounds great - it's just got confusing parameters and I'm not sure what diodes or whatever to change in order to accomplish the pedal's toggle modes, and why the treble knob defaults to 12 o'clock; not sure if it's like a 'super' treble knob that adds AND cuts or what, but it's just unfamiliar territory.

That aside, I was THRILLED to just see 3 knobs when I loaded up an 808 - that was one of my first "wish list" requests when I joined the forums and got my Axe III. Thank you so much; I know it'll only get better :)
I guess bass cut and treble are the equivalent of low cut and high cut.

Thank you for updating the drives, I think the ones that use the SPICE modeling sound/feel more like using the real drive pedals now that I have used in the past. I am very happy with the update.

I guess bass cut and treble are the equivalent of low cut and high cut.
That was my point; it's not; and I don't understand why the specific parameters and way they're configured. I mean, it's not a huge deal to figure out how the treble knob works, but it's just odd that it's not like the pedal. And then there's no 3-way toggle, though I'm sure if someone knew enough about the circuit of the Timmy they could figure out how to adjust diodes and whatnot to achieve the three positions (which is why it'd be ideal to have a 3-way toggle that automatically switches diodes - or whatever the toggle does in the actual circuit).

To explain the diode stuff:
This new firmware has 16 diode SPICE models that I collected from various sources that you can play with. 1N914 are often substituted for 1N4148 and vice-versa but they are slightly different so I included both. The original Tube Screamer had 1S1588 which, to my ears, are much different (better) sounding than 1N914 which are used in the newer Tube Screamers.

Perfect! Now we can better match the DOD250 circuit up from Distortion+ model.
Just need to change the filter frequencies, diode type and voila!!!

Dude.
zr6pNX3.png

Thanks.

Booom!!
· Drive types based on op-amp and diode clipping circuits now allow control over the type and quantity of diodes in the positive and negative polarity. For example, the user can select (2) 1N34A diodes for positive signal polarity and (1) red LED for negative. Experiment with the various diode types and quantities to obtain new and unique sounds.

· The Basic GUI page now reflects only the controls found on the actual pedal. In cases where the actual pedal does not have any tone controls a simple Tone control is included for convenience.
Sounds like a really cool update! I really like these two features of this one, allows you to go even deeper into mods/customization if you see fit, but the starting point is actually easier/simpler/authentic.

The real pedal has Gain, Bass, Treble, Level. The model has Drive, Bass Cut, Treble, Level. Seems pretty self-explanatory.

The tone circuit in the Muff model was updated. The drive section is the same.

I should've been more clear in my previous post. Models that show the diode type/qty use the new op-amp/diode algorithms. Otherwise they use the old algorithms. ALL models have had updates to the tone circuits.

Does this mean that if we copy the new tone values into the af2 drive models we get more accurate drive models? Will these value be updated in the final ares fw for af2?

I’ve got my hardware Tube Screamer and Rat pedals up for sale now. Still have my Civil War style Big Muff and still need to try the op-amp big muff settings to see how those might have changed. Still keeping my fuzz pedals too.

Nice update overall IMO, as it resulted in what I feel is an improvement in a couple of bread and butter pedals, the TS and Rat, to where I feel the model gives up nothing. Few other nice options too with the Timmy etc.

Doesn’t replace any and all pedals, but didn’t expect it too. Certainly moving things forever forward though.

Amazing it’s a 0.0x level update honestly as this added a lot of new tools and sonic versatility.

Plus pots some money back into my pocket by being able to sell some hardware stuff lol

Not yet a full year of ownership of my III and boy has it sure been worth every penny and a fun journey seeing how much great new stuff has been added over the year. Plus finally getting my FC delivered tommorow!

Back
Top Bottom