How to Choose an IR - My Method

Great solution, especially the part that allows listening without looking... ears, not eyes. Love that. Thanks for the post, Leon. This needs to be a sticky in the III cabs page!

I used this today... who knew I really like the sound of the Sennheiser MD 421. The trick of using your keyboard arrows is genius. Takes your eyes right out of the decision making process. Thanks!

I used this today... who knew I really like the sound of the Sennheiser MD 421. The trick of using your keyboard arrows is genius. Takes your eyes right out of the decision making process. Thanks!

That's exactly why it's so great

This just changed everything for me.
I managed to audition a hundred different IRs in just a few minutes. Wow!!!!
Ordinarily I'd audition a few then get bored/confused and bail.
The scrolling trick is genius.
Tx Leon, you're worth your weight in gold mate.

Thanks a lot !
Do you recommend to keep settings on the amp block or to reset it ?
I mean when you tweaked gain/master/bass/mid/treble/pres etc...It has a different sound and it may affect choosing the IR ?

Thanks a lot !
Do you recommend to keep settings on the amp block or to reset it ?
I mean when you tweaked gain/master/bass/mid/treble/pres etc...It has a different sound and it may affect choosing the IR ?

Personally I've always found the Atomica to sound pretty awesome at stock settings, so once I've done this process i'll choose the IR that sounds closest to what I want and then tweak the amp for the rest. I've found IR's I've chosen this way tend to work with most amps I like.

@Chuk that makes me so happy to hear!

Thanks Leon @2112 ! This really was an eyeopener for me. It is one of those things that seems so simple, but you just never think of it. Also, the highlighting of the IR's with color to bookmark them is another one of those "why the heck didn't I think of that" moments. Great job! Keep the videos coming! Still anxiously awaiting the new Ragdoll album by the way.

Thanks for all the good pointers Leon. The part about the acoustic string noise and the playing inconsistencies are things I had not thought of.

If you use more than one IR for any of your sounds, could you possibly do an episode on blending IRs? I’m using up to 3 per Amp right now and though I’m fairly happy with the results, I’d like to know what you and other people take into consideration when blending IRs.

Leon I can’t thank you enough for all you do for us. I learned so much from this video. I was happy with my tones but tried your method as I blend 2 IR’s panned left and right. I landed on 2 I hadn’t used before and it’s really brought life to my tone, and for that I can’t thank you enough. I also for the first time in my life been experimenting with parallel delay blocks and I am blown away and how it unclutters my tone. Have you ever made a video about parallel blocks with delays and reverb? Thanks again Leon @2112

Leon I can’t thank you enough for all you do for us. I learned so much from this video. I was happy with my tones but tried your method as I blend 2 IR’s panned left and right. I landed on 2 I hadn’t used before and it’s really brought life to my tone, and for that I can’t thank you enough. I also for the first time in my life been experimenting with parallel delay blocks and I am blown away and how it unclutters my tone. Have you ever made a video about parallel blocks with delays and reverb? Thanks again Leon @2112
You might want to check out Delay Ducking, too.

I found that can really help unclutter things. I used it for a while but ultimately decided that I prefer the sound of the Delay without ducking more than I liked the uncluttered sound.

I posted this in my 5 minute tones thread, but I think it needs it's own thread as this topic comes up so often.

All you need is your favourite guitar and amp block, a looper block and a set of ears.

Thank you,this is the method I use for a very long time and it is just the right way to pick up my cabinets!

Back
Top Bottom