Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta

I had a feeling the Suhr Riot (ruckus) would sound at least different. Pete Thorn’s Demo of it sounds way better then what I could get out of it, but that’s probably just Pete sounding better than me anyway...

In many cases I matched the names of the controls too. For example a Timmy has a Bass and Treble control but they're actually Low Cut and Tone controls. So I named them Bass and Treble. In one case I think I named it "Bass Cut" even though the pedal has "Bass". Or maybe it was "Bass (Cut)". Can't remember.
Are the Ruckus Ge and Ruckus LED new? I didn't notice the 2 different ones before.

This is the list of changed Drive models.

As a matter of fact, I'm happy to see that some of the models did NOT change. :)

EDIT: see Cliff’s post https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-3-02-public-beta.147926/page-6#post-1749554

BB Pre
Blues OD
Esoteric ACB
Esoteric RCB
Eternal Love
FAS Boost
FAS LED-Drive
Fat Rat
Full OD
M-Zone Dist
Plus Dist
Rat Dist
Ruckus Ge (NEW!)
Ruckus
Super OD
T808 Mod
T808 OD
Timothy
Zen Master

Last edited:
WARNING!!! The sound of some of the drive models may have changed significantly.

First impressions:

• Improved? Yes. For fun, try the M-Zone.
  • Changed sound / level? Yes. The Blues OD is an example of this.
  • Need to "soft" reset? Not really. Just adjust individual parameters, like Drive and Level. [EDIT: changed my recommendation. Do a soft reset, start from there]
  • Note that when you "soft" reset a Drive type, the Tone control is reset too.

Last edited:
To explain the diode stuff:

Consider a simple pedal like this MXR Distortion+:
StreamImage.aspx

See the two diodes, D1 and D2? The type and quantity of these diodes (among other things that I can't reveal) affect the tone. D1 is the "negative" diode. It conducts when the voltage is negative. D2 is the "positive" diode. It conducts when the voltage is positive. In this schematic the diodes are listed as 1N34A but in the original Distortion+ they were actually 1N270. If you select the Plus Dist model and go to the last page in the UI you'll see the type of diode is 1N270. You can change the type and quantity which will change the distortion characteristics.

1N270 and 1N34A are Germanium diodes. They have a greater reverse saturation current (Is) and, hence, a lower forward voltage for a given current. This means they clip sooner. Silicon diodes, i.e. 1N4148, 1N916, etc. have a lower Is and a greater forward voltage. LEDs have yet a greater forward voltage (smaller Is).

This new firmware has 16 diode SPICE models that I collected from various sources that you can play with. 1N914 are often substituted for 1N4148 and vice-versa but they are slightly different so I included both. The original Tube Screamer had 1S1588 which, to my ears, are much different (better) sounding than 1N914 which are used in the newer Tube Screamers.
Thanks for the breakdown, Cliff.

In the physical world, is there a meaningful difference between samples of a given diode type?

Say, I select the FET Boost model, and change Clip Type to Op-amp, will this sound different than before 3.02?

Back
Top Bottom