Possible Bug: Volume Block level when the FC/Expression pedal is not connected

ethomas1013

Fractal Fanatic
From the AxeFX III Manual:

The MIDI/Remote Menu
Initial Value: External Control 1-16
These sixteen parameters specify the initial value to be used for each of the
16 External Controllers (p. 150) when the Axe-Fx III is powered on. This value persists until data is received from the MIDI controller. This is especially useful when an external MIDI controller is absent. For example, if you normally use an expression pedal to control the volume in your presets, a missing pedal might make the preset get “stuck” in a muted position. Setting an initial value of 100% for the External Controller mapped to that pedal would ensure that when the pedal is not connected, the volume will stay at 100% instead of 0%. This setting is only for controllers with a MIDI CC# assignment. It does not apply to local or FC pedals or switches.

So how is this accomplished with the FC?

I know that. That isn't the question.

How do you get the Volume Block to register a level of 100% when the FC/Expression pedal is not connected like can be done with MIDI?

As it is now, when the FC is not connected, the volume block output level is at 0%. If we can set the default to 100% when a MIDI controller is not connected, shouldn't similar functionality be supported for the FC? How is this same functionality accomplished with the FC? I don't want to have to bypass the Volume block in every preset if the FC is not connected.

From what I recall from the manual, if a PEDAL is not connected it defaults to 100%. I originally thought you could bind that to an External Controller and then assign the percentage as desired. For example, I have FC Pedal 1 assigned to the input volume. I have FC Pedal 2 assigned to External 2 with 0%.

After a power cycle, I still have 100% volume. However, my external controller defaults to 100% vs 0. :(

From the FC manual:

If for some reason you find yourself without one or more of the pedals you normally use with the FC, it will assume them to be in the TOE DOWN position. It is sometimes best in this case set the corresponding External or Global Controller(s) on the Axe-Fx III temporarily back to “NONE”, which is equivalent to the HEEL DOWN position.
I didn't test to see what happens if the FC wasn't connected.

I missed that in the FC manual. Thanks for pointing that out.

In my case, that is not the behavior I am experiencing. The volume block is at “Heel Down” position, or 0% when the FC is disconnected.

How do you get the Volume Block to register a level of 100% when the FC/Expression pedal is not connected like can be done with MIDI?
It does that now. If you want it to read 0% when there's no pedal connected, you can whip up a 1/4" TRS plug that shorts the ring to the sleeve, and use that instead of the pedal.

In my case, that is not the behavior I am experiencing. The volume block is at “Heel Down” position, or 0% when the FC is disconnected.
That would happen if you had a TS plug inserted into the jack.

It does that now. If you want it to read 0% when there's no pedal connected, you can whip up a 1/4" TRS plug that shorts the ring to the sleeve, and use that instead of the pedal.

No, I do not want it to default to 0 when the FC is not plugged in. That's the problem, it is defaulting to 0 so I cannot play any of my presets without editing the volume block settings if the FC is not plugged it (I use the volume block in all of my presets).

That would happen if you had a TS plug inserted into the jack.

I have a TRS plug inserted. The expression pedal controlling the volume block works perfectly fine when the FC is plugged in. My problem is when the FC is NOT plugged in.

I think this is a bug.

If I power on the AxeFX III with the FC unplugged, the volume block defaults to an output volume of 0. I can reproduce it consistently.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, when you say FC disconnected you mean no XLR connected and NOT just a pedal disconnected on the FC?

In either case, I think the manual briefly mentions the workaround for this. It’s to make sure you assigned your volume control to an External Controller instead of the FC directly. Then when it’s disconnected, you need to go into your Settings and change the assignment for the External Controller from its FC setting to None. Not ideal, but it should prevent you from having to change your presets.

Yes, I mean no XLR connected to the FC.

I still think there might be a bug here since the manual says when no FC is connected it will default to the Toe Down position.

I can duplicate this. When FC is not plugged in, volume goes to 0. As soon as FC is plugged in, Volume jumps to pedal position.

Which source are you choosing at the volume block's volume modifier menu?

I'm wondering specifically whether you're selecting "FC Pedal _" or "External Ctrl _" at that menu.

If it's an Ext Ctrl (configured as FC Pedal in setup menu) the init. value might take effect with no FC connected. Make sure you've tried setting init. value to 100% then. If you were choosing the FC Pedal directly at modifier menu before, you may still want to try this as a possible solution.

I'm wondering specifically whether you're selecting "FC Pedal _" or "External Ctrl _" at that menu.

If it's an Ext Ctrl (configured as FC Pedal in setup menu) the init. value might take effect with no FC connected. Make sure you've tried setting init. value to 100% then. If you were choosing the FC Pedal directly at modifier menu before, you may still want to try this as a possible solution.

Thanks. Assigning to EXT 1 and assigning that EXT to FC Pedal 1 and Assigning Initial Value to 100 solves this.
Assigning to FC Pedal 1 directly does now allow setting initial value. So the work-around, so to speak, is to assign the Pedal to Ext1 and assigning that parameter an initial value of 100%.

Thanks Bakerman - he strikes again! @ethomas1013 - here's your solution.

From what I recall from the manual, if a PEDAL is not connected it defaults to 100%. I originally thought you could bind that to an External Controller and then assign the percentage as desired. For example, I have FC Pedal 1 assigned to the input volume. I have FC Pedal 2 assigned to External 2 with 0%.

After a power cycle, I still have 100% volume. However, my external controller defaults to 100% vs 0. :(

From the FC manual:

If for some reason you find yourself without one or more of the pedals you normally use with the FC, it will assume them to be in the TOE DOWN position. It is sometimes best in this case set the corresponding External or Global Controller(s) on the Axe-Fx III temporarily back to “NONE”, which is equivalent to the HEEL DOWN position.
I didn't test to see what happens if the FC wasn't connected.

Looks like what I originally wrote does work in the FULL FC disconnected state (no XLR) cable. However, it does not work in the FC is connected but I have a pedal disconnected state.

I'm using FC Pedal 2. I have not tried using an External Controller.

Thanks. Assigning to EXT 1 and assigning that EXT to FC Pedal 1 and Assigning Initial Value to 100 solves this.
Assigning to FC Pedal 1 directly does now allow setting initial value. So the work-around, so to speak, is to assign the Pedal to Ext1 and assigning that parameter an initial value of 100%.

Thanks Bakerman - he strikes again! @ethomas1013 - here's your solution.

I'll give this work around a try, but I won't get back to this for a day or two. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom