VOLUME - LEVEL - MASTER - and all that jazz...

Mij

My setup is simple. Guitar (2singe-1humbucker) into AX8 who goes into a QSC K12 (1000 watts or so).
My request is not.
I have a volume on my guitar. I have a volume pedal.
I have Master knob, Level knob, OUT1 knob in front of the AX8
Each preset has its own amp with its own INPUT DRIVE and LEVEL
At the end, there's a volume on my QSC K12.
That makes for a lot of volume controls.

I tried to figure out a way to have my volume pedal half way, and have the output volume the same
for all presets. Then, if I need more volume, I could push my volume pedal harder.
And if I'm really in need of more volume, go to the back of my QSC K12 and raise the volume a bit.

Austin is a nice guy but I may be dumb... I don't really get what he's saying.
How do you guys do it ?

Thanks

I disagree with the pedal approach but here:

Level all your used presets with the horizontal VU meter (last page of main screen”) using the Level parameter in the Amp block - just turn the A knob while on that VU screen

Set your pedal to half way.

Turn the Out 1 knob on the top panel to 10 o clock or so.

Turn up the K12 until it’s loud enough.

If you turn up the K12 and it’s immediately too loud, reduce the Out 1 knob and try again.

If you turn up the K12 over 1/2 way and it’s not loud enough, turn it back down, increase the Out 1 knob a bit and try again.

To do that, I guess I have to select a preset via the AX8-Edit, and then locate the VU meter PAGE on the AX8 front panel, but you say I need to be in the AMP block of that preset and turn the LEVEL parameter. Since there's only one window, I sense there's a lot of going in and out done ?
You don't seem to agree with the volume pedal approach. But live, you may need a quick move. Nothing's quicker than your own foot. It beats bending down to adjust some knob.

To do that, I guess I have to select a preset via the AX8-Edit, and then locate the VU meter PAGE on the AX8 front panel, but you say I need to be in the AMP block of that preset and turn the LEVEL parameter. Since there's only one window, I sense there's a lot of going in and out done ?
You don't seem to agree with the volume pedal approach. But live, you may need a quick move. Nothing's quicker than your own foot. It beats bending down to adjust some knob.
As I mentioned, the VU meter page has that Level adjustment right there. Just turn the A knob.

If you are constantly adjusting your main volume during the gig, something isn’t right.

Guitar volume pots, in-line volume pedals etc aren’t really meant to control output volume exactly, they do to an extent but they are more for controlling levels of drive and breakup etc

If you want to control output levels you can assign an expression pedal to a level modifier for the output, or you can also set up buttons to serve as as level up/down control, which probably would work better for fine adjustments.

I've already set a volume pedal to pedal 2 jack at the rear of the AX8 as recommended by Austin Buddy.
But, if I read you correctly, I could go to a preset, display its amp block, and try to assign my volume pedal to the
rectangle Inside INPUT DRIVE or MASTER VOLUME (no such thing in the LEVEL button) but I'd say it would be
the MASTER VOLUME.

Input drive and Master Volume don't necessarily adjust output volume though, especially if the amp is already pretty distorted. You can crank master volume on some amps and the level doesn't really change past a certain point, it just gets more saturated. Output level is what I think you want to be controlling.

Personally, I would use a VOLUME BLOCK and just do it manually, by ear. The Volume block allows you to set the pedal position as desired, level your presets, then dial in the desired "swell boost" amount using the MIN and MAX parameters of the modifier. I predict that you will find that different tones may seem respond differently to different pedal positions otherwise.

Like it is said here:

I would let MIN at its minimum and MAX at its maximum to conserve the full range of my volume pedal.
My volume pedal will act as a volume.Like I want it to be.
Now for unity gain across presets...

I would let MIN at its minimum and MAX at its maximum to conserve the full range of my volume pedal.
Using the full range of the volume pedal is great for swells, as shown in the video, but it’s an absolute bitch to try to set an exact volume that way. You’ll spend forever trying to adjust your foot to the precise position you’re looking for. And when you get there, it’ll be time for another tone and a different volume.

At MAX, wouldn't the full volume of the preset allowed ? Same for all presets.
I think what you're saying is that one wouldn't want to play at max all the time. Right.
So, he'd have to backup the volume pedal a bit.
Would that "backup" be the same on all presets IF all presets are somewhat the same output volume
when they're at max ?
The thing I'm trying to do here is to eliminate the volume gap that may exists between different presets.
Without touching any volume, even my volume pedal who could rest at halfway.
If there were a button called something like "All presets will have the same output value", it would be a
swell place to begin with. The rest would be adjusting the volume pedal sometime for extra output volume.

Well, I'm a musician, not a sound engineer. I probably see things in a different way.
Nevertheless, I'm Learning every day.

At MAX, wouldn't the full volume of the preset allowed ? Same for all presets.
I think what you're saying is that one wouldn't want to play at max all the time. Right.
So, he'd have to backup the volume pedal a bit.
Would that "backup" be the same on all presets IF all presets are somewhat the same output volume
when they're at max ?
The thing I'm trying to do here is to eliminate the volume gap that may exists between different presets.
Without touching any volume, even my volume pedal who could rest at halfway.
If there were a button called something like "All presets will have the same output value", it would be a
swell place to begin with. The rest would be adjusting the volume pedal sometime for extra output volume.

Well, I'm a musician, not a sound engineer. I probably see things in a different way.
Nevertheless, I'm Learning every day.
What I'm saying is that, when you have the entire volume range set to the expression pedal, a tiny shift of your foot makes a big difference in volume. It's difficult to be that precise with your foot even under ideal conditions. In the middle of a song?... well, try it and you'll see what i mean.

Just use a set boost rather than a volume pedal that you have to delicately put back on the correct spot. Filter block, null type, level + 4 or whatever you need. Repeatable, 1 switch. Easy.

Eq block flat on pedal . Min as your normal volume and max 4 or 5 db. This way when you need a boost you use the pedal .

A boost ? You mean a boost pedal instead of a volume pedal ? You probably mean a filter block ? I didn't see it in the manual.

An EQ block ? I'd have to read on this one too.

A boost ? You mean a boost pedal instead of a volume pedal ? You probably mean a filter block ? I didn't see it in the manual.

An EQ block ? I'd have to read on this one too.

It's not that easy to explain, I use it this way since I used pod dh 500x, because I'm a band singer, I do not like to use a volume pedal cause I can accidentally step on and mute my volume completely. So I use a flat eq block in the end of the chain instead of the volume pedal, the eq block level I set on extern 1, and the bypass mode set on the external 3, I set the volume min(level) on 0 db and max on 5 db, so when I want to have a extra volume I just use the pedal mission,
I just use one expression pedal
I posted a picture
, very complicated?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-02-20 at 11.57.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-02-20 at 11.57.22.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 9
So, at the end of the chain (after all the effects ?), you put an EQ block. I saw the picture. For Extern 1, I guess you plug your pedal in PEDAL 1 at the rear of the AX8, like I've done for my own volume pedal in PEDAL 2 (as Austin displayed it in his video) and you calibrated it. What I don't get is your external 3 ?
You don't want to cut completely the volume as a singer. As a guitarist, I may want to cut the volume completely.
The volume block, placed just after the amp block, seemed to me fine.
Thank you all for your inputs

Back
Top Bottom