Upgrade AX8 to III?

Gasp100

Power User
Huge AX8 fan, LOVE the form factor. More than enough power, very happy with the tones, CLR on the way, just locked in my guitar situation. I'm SET once all the gear flows to/from me by the end of next week. Gigging this weekend with current rig which is also FINE.
It just so happens I will be in the black with my gear account (for once LOL) and should NOT want another guitar. Any new purchases would be completely superfluous to the core rig and my requirements.
That being said...:)
The band is going back to IEMs. The lead singer was also gifted some nice gear including older DAS audio mains which are supposed to be really good, very powerful and we are playing bigger rooms soon. He is also buying my XR18 and we will be back to putting guitar and bass into FOH as well as backline. I'm the sole guitarist in my band as well.
I'm also doing a lot of home studio clips and recording, hoping to do an entire album eventually.
And I play A LOT at home through monitors / computer.
And it just so happens I have a nice rolling 4 space rack AND a rack mount power supply.
I use the Boss WL20 wireless too...

So my rig could go from Guitar gig bag on back, CLR in one hand, AX8 bag in the other -TO- Guitar gig bag on back, CLR in one hand, rolling 4U rack bag in the other.

BUT! I would want to invest in the FS6. Does it no longer use ethernet?
I know there is a waiting list, but I believe Fractal is better with their handling of waitlists than years past. What type of cable do I use? Will the cable power the footswitch? If not that would be a huge bummer.

What to y'all think? :)

I bought a AxeFX III last year when they came out. From the first chord, I could tell it was better sonically than the AX8. More responsive, more immediate, more clarity, just better. And there's no comparison when you consider the CPU power. The current FW has upped the game even more.

However, the lack of a foot controller caused me to hold on to the AX8. And eventually, I began to question whether I even needed the III. There's no doubt it's the better sounding unit, but the all-in-one form factor us a huge convenience. I thought seriously about selling the III on more than one occasion.

I got the purchase invitation for the FC a month ago. I didn't make the decision to buy one for a month and finally bit the bullet. So, I'm sitting here the the III and the FC-6 and still undecided whether I want to go back to a rack/controller setup (I no longer gig, but I do play weekly in church using in-ear monitors).

The III is a fantastic piece of gear, no doubt. And I'm going to start using it at church now that I have the FC-6. But I'm not selling the AX8 yet. It sounds fantastic in its own right and I may end up going back to it if I get tired of the rack/separate controller setup. With the III, I'm only caring one additional piece (the III itself in a rack) compared to the AX8, so it may prove to be an acceptable inconvenience because I can definitely see myself using those new reverbs for ambient tones. Plus the upcoming drive block rework has me really curious as well.

Also, the FC controllers are currently sold out. Getting on the wait list at this time may take longer than you anticipate. See the "Now Serving" sticky post in the FC sub-forum.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help.

I’ve been beta testing the Axe3 for a while, mostly keeping it home and gigging the AX8 3x or more a week.

The AX8 is amazing, small, fits in one small rolling suitcase with all my cables and digital mixer (I really need to show you guys!) and I wouldn’t trade that setup for many of my hotel gigs that have a lot of walking to get to the gig.

I took the Axe3 out recently for a particular weekly gig of mine. A bit less “rushed” and I can setup stereo monitors, etc.

Oh man.

Playing the AX8 so often at gig volumes, I know it so well. So to suddenly have the Axe3 at the gig it was like DANG this thing sounds good. Even my gig partner was like woahhhhh and just stared and smiled when I soloed or played.

I have the Axe3 in a shallow 4 space with my IEM racked, and my TouchMix goes right on it. Barely takes up any room. The FC-12 is a bit big for my gigs and i really want an FC-6, but even so, it’s just the additional rack and a different rolling suitcase, but it is well worth it. Way more power, better sound and feel, multiband comp for my acoustic is amazing.

You can’t go wrong with either. Really. But the 3 is just so good. The AX8 is the amazing cake, and the Axe3 is the ice cream on top.

DE95F659-BEA1-46F1-947B-61F86F4E751A.jpeg
The mixer on the table is provided by the restaurant, all my stuff is on the ground. That is so compact. I can’t understand how people don’t have room for a rack like that. (Yeah yeah I can understand, but, you know.) It’s a pleasure to play and so powerful in such a small package.

I also really like having the wires behind the rack away from the front. With the AX8, I have 6, sometimes 8 cables sticking out of it, and for some gigs, that cleanliness matters.

Yes, things like "simplicity of cabling" really matter. For example, using CLR as backline I need to run that to a power source. More importantly I need to run the AX8 (front of stage of course) to a power source along with at least one cable back to the CLR. If I'm also going to PA another separate cable to the mixer (usually onstage with us, sound engineer uses iPAD connecting wirelessly to XR18).

The the rolling rack (which I already own) and rack power (which I already own) I need a single outlet. WL20 wireless would plug directly into the III input. III power is in the rack into the rack power. CLR is into rack power. XLR - FS6, one cable on stage that's it!!!

Now, the biggie. The AX8 sounds killer, I have wrestled with FRFR for many years. I am accustomed to it but also extremely attuned to the things that I'm missing for a real rig. The modeling and IR's in the AX8 are astounding, really. So the AX8 and CLR will sound great I'm sure... BUT, if the modeling is EVEN BETTER in the III it's very possible that III into CLR would be extremely satisfying... and I would not longer question a thing.

That is what is rolling through my head right now :)

I have struggled with FRFR. I have owned the CLR twice, and several others (FBT, RCF, XiTone, Matrix, Atomic) and none of the have delivered a satisfying experience IMO. I prefer amps with open-backed cabs better, and using the AxeFX with a power amp and speaker cab kind of defeats the purpose of using a modeler. I'm debating whether to buy a CLR for the third time, or to wait for Celestion to finally release the new F12-X200 speaker and try on of those in a powered cab.

Did I see a post were you tried the Line6 PowerCab? I have never tried one, but guessing that it's not all that great considering some of that I have seen a few other Fractal users that have bought one and put it up for sale a couple weeks later.

I have struggled with FRFR. I have owned the CLR twice, and several others (FBT, RCF, XiTone, Matrix, Atomic) and none of the have delivered a satisfying experience IMO. I prefer amps with open-backed cabs better, and using the AxeFX with a power amp and speaker cab kind of defeats the purpose of using a modeler. I'm debating whether to buy a CLR for the third time, or to wait for Celestion to finally release the new F12-X200 speaker and try on of those in a powered cab.

Did I see a post were you tried the Line6 PowerCab? I have never tried one, but guessing that it's not all that great considering some of that I have seen a few other Fractal users that have bought one and put it up for sale a couple weeks later.

Yes, I have tried the PowerCab and the new Tech21 Power Engine Double Deuce (I made a video of that one YouTube). Both are very solid ~$500 options. The Tech21 has more options but neither provide the crystal clear smooth high mid and top end response I want to hear as backline at a gig. We just went back to IEMS (honestly, a downgrade in the unit but I still use my trusty Shure 215's and it sounded fine, one bud in, very tame volume) and we are back to more FOH support.
So I want all of my monitoring to sound a clear and "true" as it can: Adam A5 nearfields, IEMS, FOH and I think the CLR represents that better than the other options.
I no longer need to fulfill that "amp in the room experience" Live.

That being said, I am definitely looking at a real amp to have at home, specifically as a reference amp to compare against my patches as a sanity check. And also just to have some simple, low tech fun playing experiences as well.

BTW, this WAS great help. I wrestle with the idea of convenience vs. differentiation in tone daily. In my case I already have a perfect rack for the III and the III plus FC6 would be a very elegant solution for my needs. But, the AX8 is very easy too!

I bought a AxeFX III last year when they came out. From the first chord, I could tell it was better sonically than the AX8. More responsive, more immediate, more clarity, just better. And there's no comparison when you consider the CPU power. The current FW has upped the game even more.

However, the lack of a foot controller caused me to hold on to the AX8. And eventually, I began to question whether I even needed the III. There's no doubt it's the better sounding unit, but the all-in-one form factor us a huge convenience. I thought seriously about selling the III on more than one occasion.

I got the purchase invitation for the FC a month ago. I didn't make the decision to buy one for a month and finally bit the bullet. So, I'm sitting here the the III and the FC-6 and still undecided whether I want to go back to a rack/controller setup (I no longer gig, but I do play weekly in church using in-ear monitors).

The III is a fantastic piece of gear, no doubt. And I'm going to start using it at church now that I have the FC-6. But I'm not selling the AX8 yet. It sounds fantastic in its own right and I may end up going back to it if I get tired of the rack/separate controller setup. With the III, I'm only caring one additional piece (the III itself in a rack) compared to the AX8, so it may prove to be an acceptable inconvenience because I can definitely see myself using those new reverbs for ambient tones. Plus the upcoming drive block rework has me really curious as well.

Also, the FC controllers are currently sold out. Getting on the wait list at this time may take longer than you anticipate. See the "Now Serving" sticky post in the FC sub-forum.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help.

The CLR should serve you well. I thought it was by far the best FRFR solution out of the ones I have tried. My problem is that I love open-back combos and an FRFR monitor with an IR will never sound like that. When I go jam with friends, I always take the RedPlate. But if I were still gigging, there's no doubt I would use the Axe3 with an FRFR monitor.

Now, the biggie. The AX8 sounds killer, I have wrestled with FRFR for many years. I am accustomed to it but also extremely attuned to the things that I'm missing for a real rig. The modeling and IR's in the AX8 are astounding, really. So the AX8 and CLR will sound great I'm sure... BUT, if the modeling is EVEN BETTER in the III it's very possible that III into CLR would be extremely satisfying... and I would not longer question a thing.

That is what is rolling through my head right now :)
I'm on the same exact boat right now. I've been holding off with the hope of a new ax8 coming soon, but I costantly have my finger on the "add to cart" button (metaphorically) of the axe III, and the new drive block announcement is not helping at all.

I've been struggling with the upgrade question as well. But for me there is another potential benefit to the III....I could mount it in the rack with the PA head and the IEM transmitters and simplify the setup. Instead of placing the AX8 on the floor, running power to it, running audio cables from the AX8 to the PA head, and finally midi in/out if I have automation going, the III would just live in the rack all wired up....even the wireless RX for my guitar would live in the rack with the III. Only thing I'd need to do is run a single cable to a FC6/12 and plop an expression pedal next to it.

Now I don't gig out a lot these days, so even though this makes the rig much cleaner, I have to remind myself that I'm not currently playing out 2-3x a week, or even 2-3x a month...more like once every 2-3 months, and frankly I prefer it that way. But I am in the studio every day and having the unit off the floor would be nice.....but then I'd want one in my studio rack and one in my live rack.....don't think I can afford two!!!

Have you tried the Mission Gemini? I have the 2x12. It's FRFR stereo to get all the nice stereo effects. It sounds killer in my small venue gigs. It's the best one I found so far for having a real amp feel on stage. It also allows you to dial in 100% FRFR or mix that with the sound of the cab. Great feature for live rooms to dial in the tone of the cab for the room. The only negative is that it weighs 62 lbs. so it's not as easy to lug as a CLR.

I have read great things about the Gemini. But at 62 lbs for the 2x12 a bulging disc in my lower back says "no!"

Doesn’t xitone make an open back frfr monitor? Other option I’ve read about is use a second monitor facing to the back and use an ir set that has a back capture.

I'm on the same exact boat right now. I've been holding off with the hope of a new ax8 coming soon, but I costantly have my finger on the "add to cart" button (metaphorically) of the axe III, and the new drive block announcement is not helping at all.
More than likely there will be a waiting list for it. Probably a long waiting list.

I’ve been beta testing the Axe3 for a while, mostly keeping it home and gigging the AX8 3x or more a week.

The AX8 is amazing, small, fits in one small rolling suitcase with all my cables and digital mixer (I really need to show you guys!) and I wouldn’t trade that setup for many of my hotel gigs that have a lot of walking to get to the gig.

I took the Axe3 out recently for a particular weekly gig of mine. A bit less “rushed” and I can setup stereo monitors, etc.

Oh man.

Playing the AX8 so often at gig volumes, I know it so well. So to suddenly have the Axe3 at the gig it was like DANG this thing sounds good. Even my gig partner was like woahhhhh and just stared and smiled when I soloed or played.

I have the Axe3 in a shallow 4 space with my IEM racked, and my TouchMix goes right on it. Barely takes up any room. The FC-12 is a bit big for my gigs and i really want an FC-6, but even so, it’s just the additional rack and a different rolling suitcase, but it is well worth it. Way more power, better sound and feel, multiband comp for my acoustic is amazing.

You can’t go wrong with either. Really. But the 3 is just so good. The AX8 is the amazing cake, and the Axe3 is the ice cream on top.

View attachment 52548
The mixer on the table is provided by the restaurant, all my stuff is on the ground. That is so compact. I can’t understand how people don’t have room for a rack like that. (Yeah yeah I can understand, but, you know.) It’s a pleasure to play and so powerful in such a small package.

I also really like having the wires behind the rack away from the front. With the AX8, I have 6, sometimes 8 cables sticking out of it, and for some gigs, that cleanliness matters.

That TouchMix 16 is nice and compact. How do you like it?

Yes... The MBritt Xitone is "convertible" back, I think.

I had one of those. I'm not fond of the Eminence driver used in those. It still sounded artificial to me. I liked the CLR a lot better. Mick at Xitone said he has a Celestion F12-X200 in another thread and has done some testing with that speaker. I'm interested in finding out more about that.

That TouchMix 16 is nice and compact. How do you like it?
I love it. My only complaint really is that I have to plug in so many cables at the gig, since it’s not rack mounted. Really that’s maybe 5-7 more cables (mixer power, axe power, stereo Axe outputs, IEM power, IEM stereo inputs; these could be pre wired in a rack), but it all adds up for setup and break down.

That said, almost everything else is better compared to other digital mixers. I’ve owned and sold (most) X32 rack, xAir 12, TF-Rack, Studiolive III 16R, 01V, and also tried the Midas M32R, q16, DL1608.

X32 rack is the 2nd favorite compared to the TouchMix, but every other mixer has some sort of critical problem that I just can’t deal with. I can detail these later if desired. Main things are 6-band Parametric on all outputs + high and low cuts... that's 8 EQ things per output... PLUS full GEQ on each. nothing else has that. solid wireless connection. 2x built in IEM outputs with the aux channels ready to go in stereo. easy Scene save and recall that sorts it alphabetically. i just prefix each scene with the venue name (abbreviation) then my duo partner name, or solo, and it's easy to find and recall. super small and flat, easy to pack in most bags, or use its included semi-hard case.

The main reason I wanted the TM is that you can actually control it from the unit itself. So many other digital mixers have zero control on it, so if something goes wrong and your wireless decides to not work for the moment, you’re basically screwed. I’m NOT bringing a hardwired computer AND iPad to my small 2 hour gigs. And even hardwired, some mixers had connection issues.

That said, the onboard interface is very slow and laggy. Always use an iPad - it’s fast and responsive. The wireless (included!!!) hasn’t failed once in over a year. It’s solid. Short range but enough to walk off the stage and EQ the mains. Use a separate router with a USB adaptor if you need more than say 30-50 feet of range but again, I’ve never needed it and never had any issues at all.

I’ve been trying to get back to an all rack, prewired setup since buying the TM, but nothing gets me close to the sound quality, size and weight, reliability and feature set of the TM. 2 built in IEM outputs too in addition to 6 aux and stereo mains and more? It seriously has everything. I’ll gladly wrap a few more cables before and after the gig.

And it’s so small, I can take it to every single gig just in case the system there is unusable. Side pocket of my rolling suitcase that holds the AX8. It’s amazing. I save every main EQ setting that I shape per venue, and save each different duo partner per venue in Scenes. Get to the gig, see who shows up, load there Scene and we’re good to go.

Oh just thought - the preamp gain is a physical control. Most digital mixers can save that. Honestly this isn’t a problem because when I ran the TF or x32, I’d load Scenes, have it exactly like the last week, yet I’d always have to adjust the channel gain anyway for how we were feeling that night. Sometimes people sing louder, or being a different mic or guitar. I always changed channel gain, and now with it being physical on the TM, I don’t have to mess around with scene setting anyway. So keep that in mind, but total non-issue and almost a unique feature.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom