Ideas to subtle WAH in preset

AllanH

Inspired
Hi all

On my AXE FX II I had a preset which included a WAH in fixed position. On my AXE, I placed it in a small (virtual) loop using send/return, so I could add only the amount of WAH that suited the over all sound (it is for the Money for nothing sound, with dire straits)

Now on the FX8 I cannot do send/return, and the WAH block doesn't include a MIX button. I tried placing in in parallel but I can't get it to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe it is not possible? When placed in parallel, the overall level goes down when I decrease the WAH level...

Does any of you good folks have an Idea I could try?

Best regards
Allan

Going into the Wah block there are quite a few things that can be done to set min's and Max's right withing the setting itself. If you click into the elipse there is a lot you can control. Need to investigate that. There are also controls that can be set to play those automatically using LFO.

Here is a great vid

Oh thank you very much, but I might not have been clear enough. What I'm after is lets say 25% Wah signal and 75% Dry guitar, so it doesn't add 100% wah sound to my guitar sound

I agree that the wah block should have a mix setting. I've run into this same problem myself. I also feel that PEQ blocks would benefit from a mix setting. That way I could model a deep cut/boost, but mix in more dry signal to moderate it if need be.

Since you're leaving it fixed (as in no sweep), assuming I'm reading that correctly, why not just use a filter block?

Since you're leaving it fixed (as in no sweep), assuming I'm reading that correctly, why not just use a filter block?

And if you need a little wah action you can setup an LFO Controller to sweep it ever so gently using touch.

Sounds like an idea I need to try out. But as I remember it, there is no mix control either on the filterblock, so I think I'll run in to the same issue, or do you see a way working around that?

I thought that placing the WAH in parallel, I would be able to have just some amount of signal through the WAH (by lowering the WAH level) and the rest bypassing the other block in Parallel? Am I totally off about that idea? It doesn't seem to work

I thought that placing the WAH in parallel, I would be able to have just some amount of signal through the WAH (by lowering the WAH level) and the rest bypassing the other block in Parallel? Am I totally off about that idea? It doesn't seem to work
As a starting point it would be equivalent to 50% mix, I think.

One thing I'm wondering is why you feel the need to control mix for this? I've seen MK demonstrate and it's just guitar -> wah -> amp. There's no mix control on a real wah, either.

I know mate, thats how he does it, but it's way too much in that way on the Fractal, or .... I can't find the sweet spot for it??? On my Axe FX I had it in a virtual loop to take the top of the Wah sound and that worked like a charm

I think I figured it out.... I changed the bypass setting from mute to "thru" now i can turn down the parallel effect I would like to decrease in the signal. Also played around with the parametric Q for this fixed WAH, and it sounds better to my ears, at least on lower volume settings at home.

Thanks for chipping in lads, it is much appreciated :cool:

Back
Top Bottom