How to connect the Friedman ASM12?

yves vanmeenen

Inspired
Hi I am awaiting my new Friedman asm12. Up to now I am using a real cab in stereo.
I need some advice on what is the best way to set this up on my axe fx 2 and how to connect.
first : I will go mono from now on. should I do something in my global settings ? I guess/ sum L and R? correct?
second : what is the best way to connect to the asm12 : output 1 or ouptut 2? If output 1 than the jack or the XLR?

For FOH i plan to use XLR output on the ASM12 , or is that a bad idea?
Any help from people with experience on how to setup the best way is welcome.

If going mono, copy L to R to avoid any weird phase cancellation when summing.

I would run XLR from out 1 to FOH and run out 2 to ASM. That way you can use an expression pedal to control your stage volume without affecting the level going to FOH.

If going mono, copy L to R to avoid any weird phase cancellation when summing.

I would run XLR from out 1 to FOH and run out 2 to ASM. That way you can use an expression pedal to control your stage volume without affecting the level going to FOH.
ok that is a good advice indeed.
I guess it does not matter if you take left or right channel go to asm, correct?

Keep in mind that if you are going from out 2, you will need an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable to connect as the ASM only have XLR input jacks. I do the same setup, not for expression purposes, but so that i can turn up the ASM volume without affecting the FOH volume. Its a little tough to adjust the ASM on the fly with it being a wedge, vs out 2 knob on the Axe fx

Keep in mind that if you are going from out 2, you will need an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable to connect as the ASM only have XLR input jacks. I do the same setup, not for expression purposes, but so that i can turn up the ASM volume without affecting the FOH volume. Its a little tough to adjust the ASM on the fly with it being a wedge, vs out 2 knob on the Axe fx
agreed, thankx for the good advice.

Could you please provide a link for this kind of cable ? I´m trying to find trs to xlr male cable but there is always only trs to xlr female on thomann(dot)de. thanks in advance
What I always do : I use output 1 with regular XLR to FOH. To the Friedman I use a regular XLR as well from output 2 but with an adapter in between, neutrik adapter XLR male to stereo jack male. ( for sale on Thorman 9.8 euro)
And works fine.

AX8 1/4 out jacks have Humbuster correct ?
So if you are going to connnect this to the ASM XLR, you would want to take advantage of this correct ?? Wire it accordingly.

And not just use a 1/4 unbalanced to Male XLR correct ?

Or, do you get a 1/4 inch balanced cable with a TRS to XLR adaptor. Does this exist ?
Thx

Wish I could get a straight answer on this,.......

For OUT2,
Is there any benefit using a TRS to XLR, ( would this utilize The humbuster circuitry ?)

as Opposed to a TS to XLR cable. As the manual states OUT 2 phono is Unbalanced.

Note ; Connecting to a Friedman ASM ( has XLR input only )

Wish I could get a straight answer on this,.......

For OUT2,
Is there any benefit using a TRS to XLR, ( would this utilize The humbuster circuitry ?)

as Opposed to a TS to XLR cable. As the manual states OUT 2 phono is Unbalanced.

Note ; Connecting to a Friedman ASM ( has XLR input only )
No. Humbuster is specifically the TS to TRS cable wired as a Humbuster cable.

Humbuster is only a Fractal Audio function, it is not a general audio concept.

Ok,thanks.
I see others in this thread saying use TRS to XLR for the connection out 2 to ASM.

That is wrong then ? Should just be TS to XLR .....does it matter ?....

Hi I am awaiting my new Friedman asm12. Up to now I am using a real cab in stereo.
I need some advice on what is the best way to set this up on my axe fx 2 and how to connect.
first : I will go mono from now on. should I do something in my global settings ? I guess/ sum L and R? correct?
second : what is the best way to connect to the asm12 : output 1 or ouptut 2? If output 1 than the jack or the XLR?

For FOH i plan to use XLR output on the ASM12 , or is that a bad idea?
Any help from people with experience on how to setup the best way is welcome.
I'm buying same. Did you buy the wedge or standard cab version and why? i can't decide. thx

i prefer to run it the other way and have done for years

out 1 XLR>XLR cable to the cab. out 2 TS cable to the mixing desk (either plug into a line input which will be a TS connection, or use a DI box).

any time i've run an unbalanced cable to my monitor, i've suffered from terrible noise interference, so i always run it as above. the signal to the desk is perfectly good from out 2, no noise problems at all. just run out 2 at max volume.

Back
Top Bottom