Two Amp Patch?

jhowell

I just purchased an AX8 and would like to build a patch with two amps. I found a video for the FX II but the process doesn't work on the AX8. Does anyone know how to add a second amp on the AX8 - or does the AX8 not have that capability?

You can have different amps on the x and y states of an amp block. You can only have one amp block in each preset

I just purchased an AX8 and would like to build a patch with two amps. I found a video for the FX II but the process doesn't work on the AX8. Does anyone know how to add a second amp on the AX8 - or does the AX8 not have that capability?

Only 1 amp. block per preset.

What did you plan on two with two amp blocks? Did you wish to run them simultaneously and mix them together?

Man, that's disappointing....

I bought a small economy car, took it to get a class 3 hitch installed, and planned to tow a 30 foot trailer. They said it couldn’t be done. That was also disappointing.

If you really want dual amp setups you need a II or a III. The Ax8 runs one amp model at a time, but, that one amp model sounds really good and comes in a great form factor.

Yes that was the idea. In a video on the FX II, a guy copied his amp and cab in separate blocks and and was able to tweak each amp with distinct settings for tones you can't get through one amp alone. I know a lot professionals combine amps to get their tone and thought I would try it on the AX8. I can still get some amazing tones but it would have been fun to play around with different amp combinations.

lqdsnddist - you don't need to be insulting. This is my run with an amp modeler and I'm learning. Thanks to all for the responses.

lqdsnddist - you don't need to be insulting. This is my run with an amp modeler and I'm learning. Thanks to all for the responses.

lqdsnddist was not being insulting at all. He was clarifying a point with regard to your question.

He answered the question and at the same time cleverly pointing out the reasons why.... and the approach taken by FAS to provide the benefits of the Ax8 and it’s limitations as as a result as well.

I think he did a good job.

Last edited:
It’s been well documented that the AX8 is not an AxeFX II in a floor unit format. Different processors entirely. From the start, Fractal has been very clear that the AX8 is not capable of running two of Fractal’s amp models. In fact, one of the two processors in the AX8 is dedicated to running the amp model.

Videos from the Axe II are not necessary applicable to the AX8.

Yes that was the idea. In a video on the FX II, a guy copied his amp and cab in separate blocks and and was able to tweak each amp with distinct settings for tones you can't get through one amp alone. I know a lot professionals combine amps to get their tone and thought I would try it on the AX8. I can still get some amazing tones but it would have been fun to play around with different amp combinations.
When you can run 2 IRs at once which can each be a mix of different cabs and mics you can do tons with just that.

I thought that the dual amp thing would be cool too (I've got an Axe FX and an AX-8) I learned through experience that it can be a lot of work blending two amps together. Mixing IRs make a huge difference and you can do that with just 1 cab block even if you run it in mono. You can also apply EQ or filters to each side (left or right) independently as well.

Most folks have been using dual amp blocks to switch between two different amps because it's been the smoothest way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom