Tone Matching A Modded Amp

Update, so after fiddling around with the input trim and master volume trim, I found that I got closest to the smoothness of the overdrive from my modded JCM800 by turning the input trim all the way down, using the full 24dB neutral drive boost and rolling the MV trim back 1 notch. I was able to bump up the dynamics settings to get back some what was tamped down by the boost. It’s the best high gain sound I’ve had yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m going to try this approach with all high gain amps from now on. And will try tone matching my amp next I’m time in the studio...
Cool. I’m glad you got there. I’m a bit surprised that it took a lowering of MV Trim to get there, but whatever works... works.

Cool. I’m glad you got there. I’m a bit surprised that it took a lowering of MV Trim to get there, but whatever works... works.

Yes, not exactly sure what’s going on but at the nominal 1 MV trim it seemed too tubby, not as dynamic, but we are talking .956 vs 1 on the Citrus 50w. The Energyball I kept it at 1, but it’s a blend and I like the Citrus better overall...

FYI (unless this changed since Axe II) MV trim and MV have the same effect.
Yes. I recommended MV Trim to simulate the hotter preamp, which would likely affect the range of gain covered by the MV knob.

I don’t mean to be coy, but I’d rather not say as he’s not really working anymore and he managed to piss off a few people in the past, so I don’t want to distract from the topic with people airing potential beefs. Send me a PM and we can discuss further.
Heh heh heh, if bringing up his name causes that much chaos, there’s only one guy it could be! lol:D

Update, so after fiddling around with the input trim and master volume trim, I found that I got closest to the smoothness of the overdrive from my modded JCM800 by turning the input trim all the way down, using the full 24dB neutral drive boost and rolling the MV trim back 1 notch. I was able to bump up the dynamics settings to get back some what was tamped down by the boost. It’s the best high gain sound I’ve had yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m going to try this approach with all high gain amps from now on. And will try tone matching my amp next I’m time in the studio...
Turning the Input Trim all the way down and using 24 dB neutral boost is the same as using 4 dB of boost. Or you could increase the Input Trim to 1.58.

Rolling the MV Trim back one notch is no different than reducing the MV.

Just for fun, why not duplicate this preset and apply the alternate adjustments Cliff “suggested” and then A/B them?

Just for fun, why not duplicate this preset and apply the alternate adjustments Cliff “suggested” and then A/B them?

I did this and of course Cliff was right, same same. The crappy part is that I experimented for hours with multiple boost types at multiple dB settings and didn’t love any of them before. So I tried +4,5,6 etc with the neutral boost. Full on proof of confirmation bias in my own self. One day to the next, your ears will be more or less sensitive, coupled with wanting to hear a certain result, and down the rabbit hole I went.

I did learn something new in the process of looking for a smoother high gain sound. I tried putting the studio compressor up front on a setting with just enough ratio to get all the strings to balance out, something I spent hours doing with my real amps before by adjusting pole pieces. I then turned up the MV and fiddled with PA grid bias, hardness, xformer match and a few other things. And I did get a bigger, smoother sound without losing the definition I did when I previously went past 3.5 on the MV. This is great since the power amp modeling really adds another dimension which is hard to access at reasonable volumes.

I guess I could also try putting a clean preamp, like the USA clean in front of a high gain amp and slamming the front end of the amp. Anybody doing this? And, what is the fullest sounding, clean preamp in the 3?

Yes, indeed, no surprise I’m fully capable of fooling myself. We are often our own worst enemy, so it is very important to know your enemy!

Haha, sorry mate. I’m certainly good at
fooling myself too, but I was actually trying to reference the “Cliff was right” portion of your previous post. ‍♂️ I should have been more specific rather interesting than just saying “Yeah, no surprise there” which was mighty nebulous.

Haha, sorry mate. I’m certainly good at
fooling myself too, but I was actually trying to reference the “Cliff was right” portion of your previous post. ‍♂️ I should have been more specific rather interesting than just saying “Yeah, no surprise there” which was mighty nebulous.

Understood, all good.

Back
Top Bottom