[implemented] Preset level VU meters visible from Axe-Edit main screen

Vecordia

I use the VU meters of the AXE to adjust the overall level of every preset all the time. Having added them in the AXE III’s layout view is very useful now, but since the screen is reset to the home page with every preset switch, I end up having to manually go every time to the layout screen.

I was thinking that having the VU meters added to Axe Edit, some place where they are visible all the time. (Maybe the area where the tuner and tap buttons are, just next to the CPU usage bar) would be a fantastic addition, specially after seeing similar level meters having been already added (like gain in the input block or gain reduction in comprssor).

For that matter, even having also the individual block in/out level meters added to each block, (perhaps next to the level knob) would already be fenomenal! (just like in the zoomed layout screen).

What do you guys think??

Output block will show this, granted it’s not “always on”, but it is analogous to the gain in the input block or gain reduction meter in compressor block that you mention... simply click on Out1 in a patch and you can see VU meter on the right hand side with a red bar for 0db... not saying it wouldn’t be nice if there were a persistent one up near the CPU usage bar, I think it would be, but at least there is some way to check the level meter in Axe-Edit III (unlike the previous gen Axe-Edit).

FWIW, Orban’s Free Loudness Meter is a nice alternative to check VU level of patches, I just run it off to the side when I’m setting up patches sometimes, and keep an eye out for it crossing -10 (it’s scale equivalent for Axe’s internal 0db red line indicator) and level amp block(s) accordingly.

Hadn´t seen that, James. Indeed, pretty much same request.

I've just done a very quick and dirty recreation of what it could look like:

- Added the 1L/1R and 2L/2R VU meters at top of window so they are always visible (had to move tuner and tap buttons away to make the space)
- Added the In and Out level meters for each block, right below level and balance knobs, so that as one switches blocks, you always have visible both the overall preset level and the block in/out levels, without need to reach out to the Axe Fx (especially when not in an accessible location) nor toggling between the amp block and the out block.

This would be really amazing, IMO :)

AXE EDIT III EXAMPLE.jpg

Hadn´t seen that, James. Indeed, pretty much same request.

I've just done a very quick and dirty recreation of what it could look like:

- Added the 1L/1R and 2L/2R VU meters at top of window so they are always visible (had to move tuner and tap buttons away to make the space)
- Added the In and Out level meters for each block, right below level and balance knobs, so that as one switches blocks, you always have visible both the overall preset level and the block in/out levels, without need to reach out to the Axe Fx (especially when not in an accessible location) nor toggling between the amp block and the out block.

This would be really amazing, IMO :)

View attachment 49663
I've been asking for that very thing since owning an AxeFX II

+1 to adding the meters to the top of the axe edit window - or have the ability to open the meters in another standalone window

Yes! I usually set volume levels in Pro Tools using Waves WLM in order to send the FOH a consistent level from preset to preset.

+10
I always check the out level in the OUT1 bloc to be under the red with all possible combinations blocs in the preset
WOuld be a great helper.

If you’re using peaks to set levels, you’ll usually be disappointed in the results.
I use them mostly for reference, so that the average levels chosen can be checked to ensure the peaks aren't past the point of clipping....

Reactions: Rex
In that case, give me averaging meters and a clip light.
That's the other way of doing it. I have had a fair amount of equipment that had averaging meters with the little line left at the short-term peak, which would be about the same, except the clip LED is replaced with a little line that shows you where the highest peak in the last several seconds peaked out. I find that useful for setting stuff just barely under clipping...

That's the other way of doing it. I have had a fair amount of equipment that had averaging meters with the little line left at the short-term peak, which would be about the same, except the clip LED is replaced with a little line that shows you where the highest peak in the last several seconds peaked out. I find that useful for setting stuff just barely under clipping...
Even better.

Last weekend I spent quite some time playing around with some new presets and I kept wishig I had a permanent VU level meter accessible right from Axe Edit. Meters such as the gain reduction on the compressor or the fantastic recent addition of the Headroom meter at the amp block make life so much easier. Just thought i’d revive this post 😉

Back
Top Bottom