Atomic CLR Neo MK2 vs Friedman ASM-10?

If the CLR sounded shrill it was because the sound into was shrill. The Friedman wil l roll that off. But recorded it through a good PA you’ll get all the shrill.

Sounds good when I play it through Adam monitors and our practice PA, and that’s after I make a preset on the Friedman. How would you explain that? Oh wait, maybe the Adam’s and PA arent working properly! Lol!! Look man, I know the CLR is a good speaker but it’s not the only good speaker on the market, unlike some think. Enjoy the CLR and I’ll enjoy the Friedman and we’ll agree to disagree.:disrelieved:

I’ve had a CLR then a CLR Neo. I ordered and tried an ASC-10. I just sent it back. Lacked clarity and sounded boxy and small. Maybe it was defective?

Regardless, you made a good choice. :)

I too have been trying the ASC 10 for a couple weeks now, not too thrilled. Still time to return. Don't want to wait on Atomic's. On back order with no end in sight. Can you suggest two others I should consider as I will probably return the ASC 10. thx

I too have been trying the ASC 10 for a couple weeks now, not too thrilled. Still time to return. Don't want to wait on Atomic's. On back order with no end in sight. Can you suggest two others I should consider as I will probably return the ASC 10. thx

I’d look for a used CLR. Alternatively if you just want a monitor then the Yamaha DXR10 or QSC K10.2 are supposed to be good. I had an RCF NX-10 SMA that was good. Not as accurate as the CLR but better than the ASC-10. It is a bit pricey though.

I’d look for a used CLR. Alternatively if you just want a monitor then the Yamaha DXR10 or QSC K10.2 are supposed to be good. I had an RCF NX-10 SMA that was good. Not as accurate as the CLR but better than the ASC-10. It is a bit pricey though.

Found out Andertons in UK has CLR's available. Still trying my Friedman ASC 10 because I'm a Friedman fan and I love the look. Feels/looks like my tube amps and is sounding pretty good. Personally not a big fan of the wedge. Still in return period so will keep trying it out. Thanks for your help.

Found out Andertons in UK has CLR's available. Still trying my Friedman ASC 10 because I'm a Friedman fan and I love the look. Feels/looks like my tube amps and is sounding pretty good. Personally not a big fan of the wedge. Still in return period so will keep trying it out. Thanks for your help.

Don’t always buy into the hype. CLR is good but not the be all end all. If you’re looking for a hi-fi sound, try the CLR, but honestly that’s what drove me away from it. Can’t hold a candle to the Friedman for a cab like sound and feel.

Last edited:
I have owned the Verve FBT, a Matrix amp through a TDH 2x12 cab, a Matrix FR12 and Atomic CLRs. My bandmate had a Friedman. The Friedman sounded good no matter what tone he put it in. He ended up selling it get a CLR for the weight. Sounds as good as better as long as you tune your patches correctly. I like the CLR the best of what I have tried, but I am sure there is always something better.

I have owned the Verve FBT, a Matrix amp through a TDH 2x12 cab, a Matrix FR12 and Atomic CLRs. My bandmate had a Friedman. The Friedman sounded good no matter what tone he put it in. He ended up selling it get a CLR for the weight. Sounds as good as better as long as you tune your patches correctly. I like the CLR the best of what I have tried, but I am sure there is always something better.

Ya, had they not come out with the 35lb ASC-10 I’d have looked elsewhere. I had the 52lb ASM-12 and it was a beast to try and cart around, that’s why I sold it. Glad Dave made these 10’s though, that guy knows tone!

Don’t always buy into the hype. CLR is good but not the be all end all. If you’re looking for a hi-fi sound, try the CLR, but honestly that’s what drove me away from it. Can’t hold a candle to the Friedman for a cab like sound and feel.

Playing it more and more and have to agree with you. I love the look and feel, like my old tube amps. If too dark, I'm adjusting tone on my AX8 to accommodate but I feel it's gonna work. Plus I've realized I just can't do the wedge thing. Too different for me. I like tradition so I think this Friedman will be fine. Thanks so much.

I've used tube amps for 25 years so just can't adjust to the wedge. I know there are a few others cab looking FR's but my Friedman seems to be working better. Getting more used to it and dialing in tones to accommodate which is fine. I think I'll stick with it. Thanks for your input.

Playing it more and more and have to agree with you. I love the look and feel, like my old tube amps. If too dark, I'm adjusting tone on my AX8 to accommodate but I feel it's gonna work. Plus I've realized I just can't do the wedge thing. Too different for me. I like tradition so I think this Friedman will be fine. Thanks so much.

Do you find it too dark at gig volume? I think that's where it shines. I don't like bright though so maybe that's why I prefer the ASC-10 and it's "guitar cab" orientation.

Do you find it too dark at gig volume? I think that's where it shines. I don't like bright though so maybe that's why I prefer the ASC-10 and it's "guitar cab" orientation.

I've only had it two weeks and gigged with it once, loud........ most has been bedroom use dialing in my new AX8 so the volumes have been pretty low. When I did take it out, I cranked it good and all was well. Mine too is the ASC 10. It's my first Friedman and I think it looks bad ass first of all. Secondly as I mentioned, that wedge is just to odd for me. Been playing too long to make that radical switch and just love this Friedman look and feel. It's gonna be fine, just adjusting to newness. I cranked the amp to about 2:00 and AX at about 10 and she was screamin. All good. Thanks and have fun.

I just got an ASC-10 today and I've had a CLR for some time. I love the CLR for home use. Very accurate and sounds great at low volumes. However, it doesn't give me what I need in a live situation. We're pretty loud and the sound just smears out and I can JUST barely hear it. The ASC-10 seems to shine when cranked, but sounds VERY dark at low volumes. I may just need to keep both to cover all bases. :)

I have/ had a lot of FRFRs (sans the Friedmans), the CLR is the winner for me. Putting it up some (on a pole e.g.) and switching it to free field is absolutely killer (the developer himself recommends that positioning).

I just got an ASC-10 today and I've had a CLR for some time. I love the CLR for home use. Very accurate and sounds great at low volumes. However, it doesn't give me what I need in a live situation. We're pretty loud and the sound just smears out and I can JUST barely hear it. The ASC-10 seems to shine when cranked, but sounds VERY dark at low volumes. I may just need to keep both to cover all bases. :)

I’m adjusting my presets to accommodate the low end of my ASC-10. When cranked, it sounds awesome and man does it look cool. Beautiful bad ass tube lookin amp that sounds great. Like I said, I just can’t deal with a wedge. A Les Paul into a Friedman, that’s rock and roll and makes my ears smile.
Thanks, have fun.

Drop some Black covers on your FRIEDMAN,then it looks rock and roll.
Check for sale section.

I had emailed Atomic about availability of the CLR- they stated they are still 30-60 days out from restocking.

I’m adjusting my presets to accommodate the low end of my ASC-10. When cranked, it sounds awesome and man does it look cool. Beautiful bad ass tube lookin amp that sounds great. Like I said, I just can’t deal with a wedge. A Les Paul into a Friedman, that’s rock and roll and makes my ears smile.
Thanks, have fun.

That’s surprising. I find I don’t need to adjust for low end on the ASC-10. The ASM, yes, but not the 10’s. My presets are the same as they’ve been with just about every speaker I’ve tried.

Thanks, have fun.

I cranked 'em both at the studio yesterday. They are very different from each other. I do love the look and the form factor of the Friedman quite a bit more. We have a gig on the 27th. I am thinking I'm going to run the Friedman as well as direct for FoH.
Should be fun!

Back
Top Bottom