Need to control my JP2C with my MFC!

Ramses Barrientos

I need to control and command my JP2C via midi with my MFC-101 MarK III using scenes... how can I assign in scenes a midi commas to a IA Switch ? can anyone please help me!!!!!!

Warm regards.!

The Axe Fx itself does not send midi. It will pass it through from the MFC to the Midi thru port.

What are you wanting to control on the amp? I just had a look at the manual and it supports PCs for changing "presets" and CCs for performing channel selection and engaging EQs and the effects loop.

The MFC is only able to send 2 midi commands per button, and since you mentioned scenes you'll only be able to send CCs in conjunction with scene buttons (IAs only send CCs). If you want to load presets, you'll need to tie that to Axe Fx preset changes on the MFC.

You may want to consider separate buttons just for Amp controls.

The Axe Fx itself does not send midi. It will pass it through from the MFC to the Midi thru port.

What are you wanting to control on the amp? I just had a look at the manual and it supports PCs for changing "presets" and CCs for performing channel selection and engaging EQs and the effects loop.

The MFC is only able to send 2 midi commands per button, and since you mentioned scenes you'll only be able to send CCs in conjunction with scene buttons (IAs only send CCs). If you want to load presets, you'll need to tie that to Axe Fx preset changes on the MFC.

You may want to consider separate buttons just for Amp controls.

Thank you very much... the thing is that I’m not a technological guy, I come from using all my life analog pedals and i took a big step now purcheasing the Axe Fx II...

I manage to do it with presets with the help of a friend, but I really need to call via midi the 3 channels and both EQS & the fx loop of the amp, can you please help me and guide me step by step and tell me how to do it & what to insert in the mfc... just calling those things I’ll be able to perform comfortably every night as well... the hay I need to do it is using the first 4 scenes with channel 1 & the fx loop, scenes 5 & 7 with channel 2 & EQ 1, scenes 7 & 8 with channel 3 & EQ 2... I can live in peace if I don’t use the shred mode!! Just please show me where to go in the MFC and what numbers to put amd make it work! I’ll appreciate your help very much..!!

I don't think it's possible.

Every IA switch supports only 2 midi commands.

You need to send scene + EQ + loop based on your description.

Thank you very much... the thing is that I’m not a technological guy, I come from using all my life analog pedals and i took a big step now purcheasing the Axe Fx II...

I manage to do it with presets with the help of a friend, but I really need to call via midi the 3 channels and both EQS & the fx loop of the amp, can you please help me and guide me step by step and tell me how to do it & what to insert in the mfc... just calling those things I’ll be able to perform comfortably every night as well... the hay I need to do it is using the first 4 scenes with channel 1 & the fx loop, scenes 5 & 7 with channel 2 & EQ 1, scenes 7 & 8 with channel 3 & EQ 2... I can live in peace if I don’t use the shred mode!! Just please show me where to go in the MFC and what numbers to put amd make it work! I’ll appreciate your help very much..!!

Stick with preset numbers to control; the Mesa. In the Manual (JP2C) you will find a nice little graph on page 31 that gives you all different combinations. How it reads 1-15 gives you all the combinations then it just repeats 16-30: 31-45 and so on. If you have been storing changes on the Mesa you might have to redo one or two.

I did this for a friend running a JP2C with his FX8 and worked perfect, however with the MFC you might hit a few road blocks.

First things so everybody is on the same page Axe Fx and Mesa must have there own midi channels by default the Fractal stuff is on 1 might as well keep it there. Set the Mesa to receive on 2.

I dont have a MFC: Axe Fx setup any more, so this part I am not sure about. But I don't believe you will be able to run the MFC in Axe Fx mode. You can get it to work but with limitations (working with the Mesa Head that is) If it was the Axe Fx III would not be a problem. And in the case of setting up the FX8 with a JP2C, was no problem because it was designed with that in mind. So taking the MFC out of Axe Fx mode means, no tuner, no flying the preset from the Axe Fx.

I did a midi project for out other guitarist before I ceeated the JORDI Board. He plays an Axe FX II with presets and scenes. No Modeling only FXs. And he is using a Hughes & Kettner Coreblade. (Visit: https://midimonkeys.com/projects/)

He wants to select an amp channel via MIDI for all presets and scenes. With an aditional Hardware board which Is connected between Axe FX and Amp is it possible to do it without Programming the MFC.

I wrote a simple editor for the hardware board. There he could define on which preset and scene which MIDI Program Change will be sent. The config will be written on SD-Card and the hardware board reads it out. A very simple solution for him.

If this might be a solution for you, contact me. :)

Stick with preset numbers to control; the Mesa. In the Manual (JP2C) you will find a nice little graph on page 31 that gives you all different combinations. How it reads 1-15 gives you all the combinations then it just repeats 16-30: 31-45 and so on. If you have been storing changes on the Mesa you might have to redo one or two.

I did this for a friend running a JP2C with his FX8 and worked perfect, however with the MFC you might hit a few road blocks.

First things so everybody is on the same page Axe Fx and Mesa must have there own midi channels by default the Fractal stuff is on 1 might as well keep it there. Set the Mesa to receive on 2.

I dont have a MFC: Axe Fx setup any more, so this part I am not sure about. But I don't believe you will be able to run the MFC in Axe Fx mode. You can get it to work but with limitations (working with the Mesa Head that is) If it was the Axe Fx III would not be a problem. And in the case of setting up the FX8 with a JP2C, was no problem because it was designed with that in mind. So taking the MFC out of Axe Fx mode means, no tuner, no flying the preset from the Axe Fx.
But he can't do this with scenes, which was the request.

Additionally, the FX8 has a Midi block, so that would make this workable. The Axe Fx does not.

But he can't do this with scenes, which was the request.

Additionally, the FX8 has a Midi block, so that would make this workable. The Axe Fx does not.

Agreed !
Like I said "with the MFC you might hit a few road blocks."

An MFC general-use IA can send 2 CCs, 1 PC and up to 5 more basic (PC, CC, note on/off) 3-byte messages as custom data if needed. I'm not sure if this will cause effect IA states to update on the MFC in Axe-FX mode. Also realize an IA set this way can't recall different amp settings in other presets.

A more flexible solution that can probably do anything the OP wants would be this, using additional internal CCs or custom preset messages for the amp: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/2-way-communication.137846/#post-1634989

An MFC general-use IA can send 2 CCs, 1 PC and up to 5 more basic (PC, CC, note on/off) 3-byte messages as custom data if needed. I'm not sure if this will cause effect IA states to update on the MFC in Axe-FX mode. Also realize an IA set this way can't recall different amp settings in other presets.

A more flexible solution that can probably do anything the OP wants would be this, using additional internal CCs or custom preset messages for the amp: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/2-way-communication.137846/#post-1634989
I forgot about that option...

My suspicion is that it would be extremely challenging for the OP to do this as a) be admittedly technologically challenged and b) it would be further be very cumbersome to do on the MFC directly.

OP - If you want to do this, I would suggest purchasing MFC-EDIT which will ease the inputting of programming into the MFC, and hopefully you find someone you know who's comfortable with midi...

Hey guys, I'm "that friend" that helped the OP to setup at least the MFC with the Axe and the + JP2C+

Right now the MFC is Running at Axe Fx mode, when there is a preset change the MFC also sends a PC to ch2 to the JP2, like the OP said he wants to do that with the scenes like everybody mentions the MFC only can send 2 CC's but that is not enough.

the OP has the MFC-EDIT but you'll have to do a guid for him, I can't help him because he lives in other city.

I don‘t think it is possible. I did it army bandmate with an additional Arduino board for controlling amp channel changes by scene switches.

This was trivial using an AX8 and FX8 in the Midi PCs section of the controllers. I picked up an AxeIIXL and MFCIII last night also. OP and I can't be the first to run this config. Thanks to anyone that has insight.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 5.39.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 5.39.15 PM.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 7
After spending 5 hours on this I think I'm at my wits end.

The JP2C worked flawlessly on an FX8 and AX8 using PC. I needed to move it to Midi channel two to work with the AxeFX IIXL/MFC101 but verified it still works on the AX8. I have tried both PC and CC on the MFC and the channel changes but only in bank mode. Once I hit Reveal to trigger scenes it stops responding.

I also set the IA to None and set the PC and or CC and that works, but of course I can't change scenes anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

For what it's worth I was able to get this set up on a MMGT10 in 5 minutes. Anyone want to buy a MFC? ;)

I think only with a MIDI tool you will get it working in Axe FX mode. I didn’t small Arduino project for my other guitarist to switch his Amp channels (and some more) in his rig with MFC and Axe FX II.

Back
Top Bottom