Atomic CLR Neo MK2 vs Friedman ASM-10?

axelat

I know this question has been asked a lot but I still need help. I gave up my Hesu 2x12 with 50Watts Valve Amp and need a FRFR solution for my AX8 for rehearsal and live usage (mostly smaller clubs).

As I am in my mid 40s the lower the weight the better ;-) - so I narrowed it down to Atomic CLR Neo MK2 or the Friedman ASM-10. Both are available in Europe (Friedman at Thomann and the CLR at Andertons.uk) both have the same price, both get very good comments and reviews.

Most of the time I use high gain metal tones, Friedman BE/CE and Boogie 2c+ with a clean mid boost. Currently I dial in my tones with my Adam A7x at a decent volume and it would be great to have a monitor that translates those presets well - and allow fine tuning at high volumes at rehearsals so that the sound later translates good to FOH. I tend to get the CLR as it is coax, more lightweight and more flat than the Friedman (according to reviews and postings from the forum) - but there are many who love the "amp in the room" feeling of the Friedman.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I can only speak to the CLR's. I had QSC's and hated them because they sounded artificial and midrange "honkey." Presently I have 2 Event Opals used to dial in my patches (awesome BTW but no longer manufactured) and I can say the translation to my CLR's is nearly identical. I say nearly because of the sheer volume I'm able to get with a pair of CLR NEO's that I can't get with the Opals. They really are a great FRFR solution for me. I 've had them when I had my AxeFX II XL+ and I now own a AX8 and a III. I really can't say enough good things about the CLR's but of course YMMV.

I HIGHLY doubt they'll disappoint! Let us know what you think once you get them up and running.
Sounds like he only ordered one, but two in stereo kicks it up to a whole nother level.....would be well worth it! Either way, I agree, no disappointment!

Yes I ordered just one for now. At home I play stereo through my Adams and the difference is huge. For most of my patches I use a stereo chorus or the enhancer. But if I like the CLR I will get another one soon ;-)

I’ve had a CLR then a CLR Neo. I ordered and tried an ASC-10. I just sent it back. Lacked clarity and sounded boxy and small. Maybe it was defective?

Regardless, you made a good choice. :)

Yes I ordered just one for now. At home I play stereo through my Adams and the difference is huge. For most of my patches I use a stereo chorus or the enhancer. But if I like the CLR I will get another one soon ;-)
Right on mang, let us know what you think!

If you don’t like it you can always return it and try the Friedman. I sold my CLR after getting the ASC-10. The Atomic sounded boxy and shrill, but that was just my take. The Friedman sounds like a 212 loaded with my favourite speakers!
You got that backwards :) As long as we like out tones it’s all good.

If the CLR sounded shrill it was because the sound into was shrill. The Friedman wil l roll that off. But recorded it through a good PA you’ll get all the shrill.

Back
Top Bottom