Win10 and USB driver issue

Jupiter

Inspired
Long time, no see, guys and gals, I hope you're doing well!

Now, here's the thing; My AxeFXII is permanently connected to my Win10 desktop so I can record whenever I want without much hassle. A week ago I realised I haven't upgraded the firmware in months so I did that and I also installed the latest version of the AxeEdit.

A few days ago I noticed that most of the times I was firing up AxeEdit, it reported that the AxeFx was disconnected. After a quick investigation I saw that even the USB bootloader was reporting that the AxeFX was disconnected.

Unfortunately, the only solution I've come up with when this happens is to uninstall and reinstall the FAS driver. Yesterday that alone didn't work so I had to manually remove some AxeFX entries in the Device Manager, restart the PC, reinstall the drivers etc.

Has anyone come across this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Go into device manager and make sure the Axe is listed there and if it is most likely it will also say device not recognized.Try a different usb cable.This happened to me the other day with my usb midi controller and a few months ago with my interface.I move stuff around a lot and sometimes crunch cables.Hopefully this is your issue.

I only installed Win10 last week (yeah - I know, behind the times) and as yet haven't had any issues apart from the Fractal USBAudio control panel occasionally not disappearing to the system tray on bootup.

Agree with @alpine1 you may need to investigate via device manager to see what is happening, then try another USB cable, or a different USB port as I had one that crapped out on me some time ago due to a very sloppy connection.

I've run the drivers (both old and new) on XP, XP64, Win7x64 and win10x64 without issue.. and i've been on win10 since it's initial release. I recently had to start over with a fresh win10 install (long story that kinda made me mad when I discovered root cause) re-installing my Fractal stuff along with the v2014.06.06 drivers.

I DID note that the driver install says it's complete (you get the turn off/on your Axe msg) but the boot-time/startup driver is NOT actually installed.

I had to go into the folder where the contents of the download exe are expanded as part of the install (I'm not in front of that PC , so don't recall the folder name) drill down to the drivers folder and manually kick off the driver install.

Once that completed... all has been fine.
I installed the latest public Beta and ran backups.

OK, it seems that I got to the bottom of this.

It was the PC's USB port that I was using which happened to be USB3 (strange since the chipset of the motherboard is the Intel B250 and USB3 has native support nowadays). I just connected the Axe to one of the USB2 ports, I fooled around a little bit and everything seems to work as expected.

:smiley:

Back
Top Bottom