Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.01

Have always been a big fan of Quantum 8.02 because it has/had the sweet mids and upper mids that to me define a great guitar sound. I was not as fond of 9.02 and 10.01 compared to 8.02. because I had to worked harder in the software to bring those realistic upper mids out, doing things like zeroing out amp compression and boosting just a little at GEQ 4Khz and the like.

So happy ARES 3.x to my ears is a return of the glorious mids and that style EQ curve. Been away at NAMM and in DC so just diggin' in...

I do wish we had kept the original Ampeg SV Bass amp model though -- I used that for great guitar sounds, both Keith Richards (Live Stones Get Your Ya Yas out) and the SRV Steel String Singer amp which if you mod a few things you can make from this. The new SV Bass model negates those awesome sounds with the fixed mid thing on -- it would be nice if Cliff would be willing to restore the old SV bass model back and keep the new one too, which is great for bass. Digging the new Porta bass sound too with my flat wounds!

Last edited:
This probably has more to do with any reworking of the amp block, but I find myself enjoying the drive blocks more now. I was disenchanted with them for a bit and started using a PEQ with some cuts and a boost around 2k, setting that to unity gain as best I could and letting the amp do the heavy lifting for gain.

But last night I swapped the PEQ for a drive, and I was like “wow that’s good.” Maybe that’s just in my head, but it’s overall a great update.

I haven’t found my footing on the new reverbs but they sound good.

Agreed on the improved interaction of drive and amp now, and Soon to be even better, according to Cliff”s latest drive block revelations in progress.
This probably has more to do with any reworking of the amp block, but I find myself enjoying the drive blocks more now. I was disenchanted with them for a bit and started using a PEQ with some cuts and a boost around 2k, setting that to unity gain as best I could and letting the amp do the heavy lifting for gain.

But last night I swapped the PEQ for a drive, and I was like “wow that’s good.” Maybe that’s just in my head, but it’s overall a great update.

I haven’t found my footing on the new reverbs but they sound good.

Agreed on the improved interaction of drive and amp now, and Soon to be even better, according to Cliff”s latest drive block revelations in progress.
Is it an actual improvement on sound/feel or just an improvement as far as CPU resources?

Is it an actual improvement on sound/feel or just an improvement as far as CPU resources?
If you are referring to the current FW, definitely sound/feel, I don’t see any CPU gains. What is in the upcoming improved drive blocks, only Cliff and the beta team know what’s up.

As I understood his words, it will lift the drive block on a new level on par with ares modeling for the amp block. It will cost some CPU power, but way less than it usually would.

I'm having issues with my AXE III lately with new updates. It seems like the new firmware is suppose to fix something, but int the end something else ends up screwed up. I installed the new update 3.01 to fix some bugs In the system; now, I can't even access parameters with the value button to change block settings. Does any buddy else is having problems with the new update? Or maybe I just got a lemon!!!

I'm having issues with my AXE III lately with new updates. It seems like the new firmware is suppose to fix something, but int the end something else ends up screwed up. I installed the new update 3.01 to fix some bugs In the system; now, I can't even access parameters with the value button to change block settings. Does any buddy else is having problems with the new update? Or maybe I just got a lemon!!!
Reboot.

you probably can't get a "lemon" firmware update.

no one else has reported this. try turning it off then back on. if it continues, please give us more detail or a video showing "can't access parameters with the value button."

I've been getting everything dialed in with the new firmware and its sounding good. I keep struggling with fast double picking on high notes playing fast leads like there's a hint of latency going through the new features? Don't charbroil me Cliff, when I go back to 2.5 I can play easier it seems. Anyone else have this issue? Is there something I could adjust to make it flow better like a talent switch? It could just be me but I wanted to ask. Thanks

Well, as the old saying goes, fifth time's a charm. The odd thing is that the transfer finally ran to completion on the unit, but not according to Fractal-Bot, which stopped at 8% and gave me the same error message. In any case, I'm on 3.01 now.
In my experience there have been a few times where I cannot successfully download and install/update firmware using Fractal Bot. The download will fail or the completed file is corrupted. When that happens I download it from the OP, extract and then install it.

I had an install issue at first with 3.01 but installed it again and the problem got solved. I have a question though... Is there a way to get more sustain out of this system? I'm turning off all gates at input to get all the signal from my guitar; however, I do not get the sustain I get from my pedals. Any new Ideas? The thing is, if I want more drive, I get sustain and drive(distortion) but at the same time noise is introduced with it.
The noise gate will get read of the noise; but at the same time, it will reduce sustain. How can I fix this?

I had an install issue at first with 3.01 but installed it again and the problem got solved. I have a question though... Is there a way to get more sustain out of this system? I'm turning off all gates at input to get all the signal from my guitar; however, I do not get the sustain I get from my pedals. Any new Ideas? The thing is, if I want more drive, I get sustain and drive(distortion) but at the same time noise is introduced with it.
The noise gate will get read of the noise; but at the same time, it will reduce sustain. How can I fix this?
I have no problem getting sustain for days on clean presets... Should be easier on driven tones.

I do put the Studio Compressor at the front of my signal chain with very mild settings.

I use a drive block in front of the amp with a gain of 1. I mostly use one of the tube screamers. It gives me gain for days. I've never had much problem with noise by setting intelligent gate on the input to around -48 ratio 2 attack 10 release 20. I don't lose any sustain.

With new Firmware I have some problems with Control Switches.
Because I link the CS1 to Amp Boost I note a strange behavior and it doens't work properly.
It is necessary to reset the amp block, than go to controller menu, select CS1 (all values are ON) reset all OFF.
Only after this procedure it returns to work correctly

Back
Top Bottom