Whats the main difference between the FC and MFC?

Absolutely no clue what you’re talking about.

Original title was a typo and not understandable.

The FC series is for the Axe-Fx III and the MFC-101 is for the Axe-Fx II and Ultra/Standard.

Last edited:
Aside from the obvious physical differences (color LED rings, mini-LCDs, 2-line display, daisy-chain capability, etc. etc.) I would say that the main difference is that the FC is purpose-built for the Axe-Fx III, whereas the MFC was a generic MIDI controller with some special capabilities for interacting with the Axe-Fx II.

This distinction means that the FC works absolutely seamlessly with the Axe-Fx III, making it easier to use, with better features—and more of them too.

I was perhaps the MFCs greatest fan. I can navigate and program it in my sleep. My preference and loyalty have changed firmly to the FC.

In a nutshell, the FC is an integrated controller for the Axe Fx III. It is not midi. All the brains are in the Axe Fx III. It connects with a standard XLR cable and FASlink 2 protocol only. Powered over XLR.

The MFC is a more general purpose midi controller that has integrated functionality for the Axe Fx II and the Standard/Ultra, but NOT the Axe Fx III. It connects with a midi cable, or an EtherCon cable or an XLR cable (using FASLink 1 protocol). Powered by the latter two options, or optionally with phantom using a 7pin midi cable.

duh ...... the difference is an 'M'

and ...... it's simply an extension of the mothership and only works with the mothership. No MIDI configuration to do via clonky footswitches and scrolling across pages in a small screen on the foot controller - just plug it in and if the default settings aren't to your liking then set it up via the AxeFX controls the way you want - either from front panel or via software editor

There are a few other controllers out there that are up to date with integrating with the AF3 functions and can be switched over to 'AF3 Mode' but they all require MIDI cable connection between themselves and the AF3. The FC just needs a common garden mic cable ... which is a lot more robust (and usually readily on hand) than 5 or 7 pin MIDI cables.

You can also daisy chain FCs if you want to expand - the power delivered down the XLR Mic cable will power 2 FCs ... if you're mental enough to want a third one then it will need powered externally

If you already have a MFC it could be set up to work somewhat but no shortcuts available - you'd be fiddling about with settings and swearing a lot ... so unless you're keeping an AxeFX2 lying about as well as a new AF3 then you'd be better off selling the MFC and going for the FC. There will be plenty of used AF2s coming on the market as people upgrade to 3s so new owners of AF2s will be hunting for MFCs if they don't have one.

the power delivered down the XLR Mic cable will power 2 FCs
this is not correct.

XLR power from the Axe-Fx III will power the first FC. any others connected (up to 4 total) need their own power supply. this is documented in the manual and in most marketing statements.

oops .... my bad about power ... sorry. Could have sworn I heard talk of it in the prototype days.

Pity ..... I was planning on getting 2 to have one on both sides of the massive stages we play on and not have to use a power supply ..... my dreams and knee sliding plans are shattered now all over a measly 9 volts. The music business has gone to hell for sure.

FC is Axe FX III only, MFC can be used in varying degrees of completeness with all Axe FX units. If you want the most complete control of the Axe FX III in a foot controller, especially in a plug and play manner, the FC is your controller. More limited control of a larger number of FAS units, and direct control to other midi devices... the MFC.

It's like comparing a standalone computer to a workstation. They look similar, and to the casual observer or operator, produce the same intended result. But the similarities pretty much end there. Everything about how they work is different.

I use my MFC with Axe3 - works fine except not bi-directional. Need to double click an IA to turn on or off FX depending on their status when pulled up a preset. Up/down patch and scenes work fine.

Back
Top Bottom