Axe-Fx III: Changing Scenes, stomp pedal, or anyhing you want with FCB1010 (No UnO chip)

Your best bet is to learn MIDI. Even with the "upgrade" chip you still have to dig into the MIDI menu in the Axe and assign functions to MIDI CCs, PCs, and whatnot. You have to do that either way so the only trouble you're really saving is having to program the FCB1010. It's really not that hard and it's quite satisfying when you discover something new that you can do with it or come up with a clever arrangement of pedals and functions that makes the Axe do exactly what you need/want it to do.

This is the main reason I advocate against using these so-called "upgrade" chips. First of all, the Axe sends no realtime feedback to the FCB1010 so the toggle states of the various effect pedals does not mean it corresponds with the Axe (though, if you set it up right AND DON'T CHANGE IT, then that is one of the benefits of these chips). Secondly, the "upgrade" chips eschew the inherent flexibility of the FCB1010 in favor of so-called "ease of use" - so called because, I feel, it cripples you from being able to use, say, two pedals for presets, 4 for scenes, add a tap tempo, tuner, etc., then jump down a bank and have several presets and scenes, individual effects, and looper controls, etc.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I just fell in love with the FCB1010 once I got over the initial learning curve - made even more difficult since I was learning the FCB1010 and MIDI at the same time, since I'd never used MIDI before. But I can't express how worth it the journey was. I love my Axe III even more since I can control it precisely how I like with the stock FCB1010.

What would you recommend for someone learning midi and the FCB for the first time?

What would you recommend for someone learning midi and the FCB for the first time?
Just be patient. Read all you can. Watch YouTube vids. I got the FCB at the same time as the Axe III - so I was learning MIDI, the Axe III, and the FCB all at the same time. It was totally worth it to persevere through the extremely steep learning curve.

Start simple. Make a button that goes to your favorite preset. Then make that same button toggle between two presets. Then, make a button that increments scenes. etc etc.

I think if you know what the end goal is, you'll have better luck finding answers. If you just go in all confused and overwhelmed, it'll be harder to figure out. Did you watch my videos? I break things down pretty simply with basic functions.

I also recommend making a spreadsheet where you keep track of all your Axe III MIDI CCs so you know what CC will affect which block. Just poke around the MIDI menu and Google any terms you don't understand.

I am queuing up the vids now. Thank you. I am also using the Axe II XL + and just learning that as well. I just discovered Axe Edit and holy cow that makes a difference haha. And yes I do have specifics in mind, like getting to presets, selecting scenes within and turning off/on effects. I also would like to be able to use the pedals as whammy/volume. I have yet to receive the FCB but feel more confident about it. Thanks for the advice!

I have about 7 video tutorials for programming the FCB1010 with the Axe III.

Hi, I just want to chime in and say that your series of videos are awesome, and they helped me program my fcb1010 to perfection, exactly what I wanted! The videos are easy to understand, which makes a caveman like me appreciate it even more. I highly recommend checking this out if you are an FCB1010 user, or intending to get one.

I got mine used, reset the unit and followed your steps. Works like a charm out the box, no replacement chips or mods needed. And at a fraction of the cost of an FC-12 (Not including the 2 expression pedals, say a set of Mission EP-1's), the FCB1010 is perfect!

Best regards,
Aaron

@HetsRightHand Thank you so much! I appreciate you letting me know how much they helped you :) Yeah, when I got my Axe Fx III, I also got my FCB1010 at the same time. I had NEVER even touched MIDI. So I was learning MIDI, the Axe Fx III, and the FCB1010 all at the same time. Trial by fire, tell you what. I've since switched over to the FC6, but I still have my FCB1010. I'm planning on maybe using it with my Kronos keyboard...

@HetsRightHand Thank you so much! I appreciate you letting me know how much they helped you :) Yeah, when I got my Axe Fx III, I also got my FCB1010 at the same time. I had NEVER even touched MIDI. So I was learning MIDI, the Axe Fx III, and the FCB1010 all at the same time. Trial by fire, tell you what. I've since switched over to the FC6, but I still have my FCB1010. I'm planning on maybe using it with my Kronos keyboard...

You're very welcome! I am very appreciative of the help :)

Now I have to perfect my tap dancing moves to accurately hit the stomps haha. Funny you should mention the FC-6, I am about to pull the trigger on the FC-6 sometime this week to pair with my FM3 - should be interesting as well! Lugging around the Axe III and the FCB-1010 has been a pain in the behind these past few days. FM3 makes more sense with an FC_6.

Thanks again!

Dear all, is this FC the best cheap one or there more interesting options in this price range?
No need for Bluetooth, just a lot of switches and (preferably) volume/wah controllers!

Thanks!

Dear all, is this FC the best cheap one or there more interesting options in this price range?
No need for Bluetooth, just a lot of switches and (preferably) volume/wah controllers!

Thanks!
When I bought one a number of years ago I think I paid $100 for it used including the uNo chip (which I highly recommend).

They are durable and inexpensive and if you want built-in expression pedals I don't think you'll find anything comparable. Also, they use a standard IEC power cable - not a wall wart!

I personally had a hard time with the expression pedals because of the placement. I would accidentally move the wrong pedal along with the one I was trying to use... But aside from that I had no issues with them.

Hey OP. I am a new axe FX3 user and new to fractal in general. The axefx purchase used all my excess toy funds so I went with the fcb1010. As it turns out, your setup detailed in the original post is exactly what I wanted to do. Thanks! That setup, along with the expression pedals and auto off wah (the main thing that drove me from headrush to axefx) has given me the best sounding guitar and most functional setup I've had in 45 years of gigging.

This was the video which finally made all the other videos and manuals click for me:

@Ugly Bunny's video are just perfect to get you a quick setup, and together with the video above they cover pretty much all grounds, allowing you to either copy his settings or create your own layout.

I didn't want to create any spreadsheets, so I used this list of CC's to set up functions: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=MIDI#Axe-Fx_II. I have FM3 and it fits perfectly.

Hovewer, I'm a bit lost about what's going on with the settings. So I've managed to get one of the exp. pedals to be WAH, and a second one to be a "global volume" which also start Tuner when signal is muted/pedal is down. It was working fine for two hours - until it stopped. And it's not working any more. Zero idea why and how to make sure the next time the setting sticks!

BiodegradableSeriousLacewing-max-1mb.gif

I also need to find a way how to use Control Switches on FM3 and FCB at the same time so I don't need to take FCB to live gigs.

P.S. The hardest part of all that for me was inserting MIDI cable properly. I kid you not - no idea why every guide doesn't start with "use the MIDI out on FCB, and MIDI IN on the FM3"! I'm pretty sure I'm the only one stupid enough to do it the other way around, but still worth mentioned in the official manual of the FCB!! I've lost a whole day to this!
So yeah, https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/if-you-read-nothing-else-read-this.162537/ .......

Hovewer, I'm a bit lost about what's going on with the settings. So I've managed to get one of the exp. pedals to be WAH, and a second one to be a "global volume" which also start Tuner when signal is muted/pedal is down. It was working fine for two hours - until it stopped. And it's not working any more. Zero idea why and how to make sure the next time the setting sticks!
I seem to recall reading that expression pedal setup on the FCB is per FCB preset. But I might be wrong...

When I used an FCB it had the UnO chip, so no experience with a stock one.

I seem to recall reading that expression pedal setup on the FCB is per FCB preset. But I might be wrong...
I seem to have figured it out. Once you've pressed some switch which still has PC or CC assigned, it loads some other values. I will validate tomorrow, but seems like this is the issue. I can switch between FCB presets and do stuff, but once I've pressed the button which had 6 or 7 lit up when configuring - BAM it loads some other values to the expression pedals, and you have to repeat the config for pedals.
Probably once I'm done with layout setup it will be gone, but we will see. So far still happy with the purchase. Really like the "global volume+tuner" setup, incredibly versatile and gives you back one switch.

There might be a very simple explanation to different issues many people are having when configuring it. The default chip seems to suck big time, that's it :) After on/off cycle, it lost settings for button 1, 7 to 10, and both expressions pedals. Well, "lost" is probably incorrect. If you repeat the set up cycle for each button or pedals, the settings ARE there, so you are just pressing "Up" again and again NOT adding/changing any values -but they are not being sent to Fractal until you press the "Up" button for the forth time, i.e. confirming the value of the CC :) Then it immediately starts doing what it is intended to do.
The device is on the warranty, so I'm not going to open its back to see the chip revision, it is going back to the store :)
Seems to be an answer to many complaints on the forum, because I also one of those who were not able to configure any button to turn the Tuner on and off no matter if I used Ugly Bunny's or anyone's else instructions on it!

Edit: Haha, it just lost the setting for button 1 again without on/off. Switching banks up/down was enough for that! Wow, super-impressed with the reliability of it!! :D

When I used an FCB it had the UnO chip, so no experience with a stock one.
This exactly.

That's why in my videos I warn people NOT TO TOUCH the MIDI settings for the EXP pedals in any preset on the FCB unless they're going to adjust them all individually. I think by default they're set to #s 16 and 17 (or 17 and 18? I don't remember) and if you change one, then in the course of your playing, hit a different preset that still has the default value, it won't work. This is the one instance I recommend setting the Axe Fx to the FCB, not the other way around.

This exactly.

That's why in my videos I warn people NOT TO TOUCH the MIDI settings for the EXP pedals in any preset on the FCB unless they're going to adjust them all individually. I think by default they're set to #s 16 and 17 (or 17 and 18? I don't remember) and if you change one, then in the course of your playing, hit a different preset that still has the default value, it won't work. This is the one instance I recommend setting the Axe Fx to the FCB, not the other way around.
That sounds like the right move!

For some reason when I try to setup 1-4 for scene changing. It wont stay on one bank or present. It keeps typing in different banks idk why or what I'm doing wrong. Tried following steps for setting scenes. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom