AX8 as an effects unit only

Jan West

Hi guys,
I am lucky owner of AX8 and I am just wondering, is it possible to use AX8 only as an effects unit. Sometimes I take my Rivera tube amp to a gig and I don’t want to use the modelling I wanna use only let’s say delay, reverb and chorus from AX8 and I want to run it via send/return of my Rivera amp to be able to switch my amp channels. Is it possible to do it? How to connect the AX8 to Rivera and how to setup the preset in AX8. Thanks a lot for your help.
John

thanks,
well i tried the 4CM but i wasn't able to switch the Rivera amp channels. i don't know why.
So does it mean, you cannot use AX8 simply in only send/return loop? Is the 4CM the only way???

look at the Owner's Manual for the Four Cable Method (4CM) in the Setup section. you'll need to create different presets for this that don't have Amp or Cab blocks, and you'll instead use the FX Loop block.

the AX8 cannot change your amp's channels. connecting audio cables would not change channels on an amp.

thanks,
well i tried the 4CM but i wasn't able to switch the Rivera amp channels. i don't know why.
So does it mean, you cannot use AX8 simply in only send/return loop? Is the 4CM the only way???

you can just use it in the amp's FX Loop if you want. the Owner's Manual shows this as well.

Thanks for you answers,
I didn't mean, that I wanna change the amp channels with AX8. I wasn't able to change the channels on the Rivera amp, and I don't know why. Also the effects after "FX Loop" block on the grid didn't work. But the "Drive" block in front of the "FX Loop" did work. Strange.
I have to check it out again.

So as far as i understand it, there is no choice to use AX8 as simple send/return effect. You have to use the 4CM. Am I correct?

Thanks for you answers,
I didn't mean, that I wanna change the amp channels with AX8. I wasn't able to change the channels on the Rivera amp, and I don't know why. Also the effects after "FX Loop" block on the grid didn't work. But the "Drive" block in front of the "FX Loop" did work. Strange.
I have to check it out again.

So as far as i understand it, there is no choice to use AX8 as simple send/return effect. You have to use the 4CM. Am I correct?
Incorrect.

Page 18 of the Owners manual. Please read it.

Thanks.
I have read it before and even now again, but I am still missing some points. Ok as it's written in the manual, you can use AX8 as simple send/return unit, you put your guitar straight in the amp.
You connect SEND(out) from Rivera amp to RTN(in2) to AX8 and then OUT1 of AX8 to RTN(in) of Rivera amp. In the preset I use "FX loop" block not connected to "INPUT", after "FX Loop" i put revert, delay, chorus and connect to OUTPUT block.

Is it correct?

Thanks.
I have read it before and even now again, but I am still missing some points. Ok as it's written in the manual, you can use AX8 as simple send/return unit, you put your guitar straight in the amp.
You connect SEND(out) from Rivera amp to RTN(in2) to AX8 and then OUT1 of AX8 to RTN(in) of Rivera amp. In the preset I use "FX loop" block not connected to "INPUT", after "FX Loop" i put revert, delay, chorus and connect to OUTPUT block.

Is it correct?
Yup. Is AX8 Output 1 knob turned up? Is your amp Fx loop on / turned up?

Perfect!!!
I have finally discovered my mistake. I used the SEND(out2) to connect to my rivera amp to RTN(in), as a typical send/return connection. But you have to use OUT1!!!!

The small diagram of this connection and 4CM connection would be very usefull in the manual.

Thanks a lot for your help.
THANKS.

Why do you have the FXL block in your AX8 preset grid? Surely there's no need for it when using the AX8 in the loop of an amp?

Because my guitar goes straight to Rivera amp. Not to the AX8. I think it wouldn't work without "FX loop" block.

Perfect!!!
I have finally discovered my mistake. I used the SEND(out2) to connect to my rivera amp to RTN(in), as a typical send/return connection. But you have to use OUT1!!!!

The small diagram of this connection and 4CM connection would be very usefull in the manual.

Thanks a lot for your help.
THANKS.
The tall Output block on the right of the grid is Out 1. So yes, Out 1 jacks need to be used as well as Out 1 knob.
Why do you have the FXL block in your AX8 preset grid? Surely there's no need for it when using the AX8 in the loop of an amp?
Input 1 isn’t used in this method; Input 2 is.

yes, i just tried it and it is really working with the OUT1.
Just the last question, when AX8 is conected like this, I cannot use the tuner, is it correct or is there any settings to be able to use it even when it is in send/return.
Thanks a lot.

Since we are on topic, I have a JMP-1 and a mesa 2:90 and want to use the Ax8 as effects...the loop in the JMP-1 is awful so the 4 CM is not a option .. so do i.....

JMP-1 out to Ax8 in..Effects only..

Outputs 1 &2 out to the Mesa inputs for stereo ?

Mike

yes, i just tried it and it is really working with the OUT1.
Just the last question, when AX8 is conected like this, I cannot use the tuner, is it correct or is there any settings to be able to use it even when it is in send/return.
Thanks a lot.

No, this is not correct.

I think you are making this more difficult that it really is. If all you want to do use use the AX8 in the FX loop of your amp you do not need an FX Loop block in the AX8. You only need the FX Loop block if you are going to use the 4 cable method.

I just tested it connected like this:
  • Effects Send from the amp goes to Input 1 of the AX8
  • Output 1 of the AX8 goes to Effects Return on the amp
  • Your guitar is plugged into the Amp input
Turn Output 1 all the way up on the front of the AX8.

Depending on the strength of the output from the Effects Send on your amp, you may need to change the Instrument 1 Input Pad in the AX8 Setup. See page 82 of the manual.

The preset on the AX8 has the effects that you want to use, connected in series. I made a simple preset with reverb and delay. There is no need for an effects loop block in the AX8 when using Input 1 and Output 1.

You can use the tuner with this setup.

Distortion sounds like crap in the FX loop. If you are going to use Wha or Distortion I suggest using 4 cable method so you can put the effects those effects in the front end of the amp and you can put the time based effects (delay, reverb, etc.) in the amps loop.

Hope that helps.

AX8.png

Last edited:
here's what the Owner's Manual says:

IN FRONT OF A GUITAR AMP
You can use the AX8 in front of an amplifier by connecting your guitar to the Instrument input of the AX8 and Out 1 Main L of the AX8 to the amp’s input. For stereo, connect Out 1 Main R to a second amp. Set the AX8 OUT 1 level knob as high as possible to lower the noise floor.

IN THE LOOP OF A GUITAR AMP
Some may wonder whether the AX8 can also work in the effects loop of a tube amp. The AX8 instrument input can be padded up to 18dB, which should work to accommodate the Effect Send level of most amplifiers. Watch for clipping, however, and lower the FX Send level of your amp if required. Set the AX8 OUT 1 level knob as high as possible to lower the noise floor.

IMPORTANT: For all “FX Processor Only” setups, please use presets with NO AMP or CAB block.
See Section 5 for more on creating and modifying presets. Using HumbusterTM cables (p. 5) is highly recommended when using the AX8 as an effects processor only.

No, this is not correct.

I think you are making this more difficult that it really is. If all you want to do use use the AX8 in the FX loop of your amp you do not need an FX Loop block in the AX8. You only need the FX Loop block if you are going to use the 4 cable method.

I just tested it connected like this:
  • Effects Send from the amp goes to Input 1 of the AX8
  • Output 1 of the AX8 goes to Effects Return on the amp
  • Your guitar is plugged into the Amp input
Turn Output 1 all the way up on the front of the AX8.

Depending on the strength of the output from the Effects Send on your amp, you may need to change the Instrument 1 Input Pad in the AX8 Setup. See page 82 of the manual.

The preset on the AX8 has the effects that you want to use, connected in series. I made a simple preset with reverb and delay. There is no need for an effects loop block in the AX8 when using Input 1 and Output 1.

You can use the tuner with this setup.

Distortion sounds like crap in the FX loop. If you are going to use Wha or Distortion I suggest using 4 cable method so you can put the effects those effects in the front end of the amp and you can put the time based effects (delay, reverb, etc.) in the amps loop.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 52394
thanks a lot, good idea, I will try it ASAP. :)

Back
Top Bottom