Different amp settings per scene?

kaleidoskope

Inspired
Hi there!

Old Ax-Fx user (had the Ultra and the II), "coming back home"... or trying to :)

After I sold the AxFxII, I got an Helix and had been using it ever since. The programming of the Helix is scary easy and that's something very important, along with its portability. The AxFxII was a nightmare to program, without the editor (at least, fro me :)

Just got my Ax8 and spent most of yesterday trying to program a few sounds for our next gig. The sounds are amazing, but the programming is still a drag, from me.Before buying I knew I wouldn't be able to use 2 amps at the same time and blend'em together, but one thing I thought I would be able to do is to have different settings per scene, for the same amp. I'm used to use 4 scenes/snapshots (clean, light crunch, rock and heavy) on the bottom row and then some pedals on/of on the top row. From what I tried yesterday, with the X/Y thing I can have only 2 states/settings for the same amp or am I missing something?

Peace!

You have 2 scene controller settings per scene so you can tweak drive, master volume, input trim, etc. That will get you some variety in terms of amp settings.

You'll have to change your approach a bit, but what I would recommend is to find a clean amp that you can push to sound good a little dirty and a dirty amp that cleans up well. Then use scene controllers on the input trim (lots of good YouTube videos on this) to adjust per scene, and use scene output volumes to adjust volume as needed. You can also use a drive block or a filter block to impact the gain and control via scenes as well.

Hi, another new-ish user here. Had the II a few years back, sold it to a friend and bought some amps and pedals... after enough $ and frustration that never got where I wanted tone-wise I'm back to Ax8, and loving it.
I've had 2 weeks of very happily setting up my Ax8 for stage use and my main stage set-up is identical to what you're describing. 4 levels of clean-to-dirty.
My solution has been to have the amp X/Y for clean/gritty, then add the amp Boost switch on another footswitch set to Control 1, then a Micro-boost clean overdrive/booster on a 4th footswitch for yet more kick. That actually gives me much more than 4 possible 'gained' states, but I'm playing around and having fun deciding which ones overlap and which are ideal for each tune. I'm loving the possibilities, with the versatility and programmability of the Ax8 there hasn't been anything I haven't been able to think of that I can't find a way to achieve tonally.

You can use the X/Y for amps and cabs, so you have two different amps and cabs in the same preset.

Then you have the 2 Scene Controllers, so you can have different Gain, Input Trim... In different scenes.

Then you have the 2 Control Switches, so you can assign them to Boost, Fat, Cut...

Then the Scene Levels.

A lot of options. And probably, some more that I don't know.

Hi there!

Old Ax-Fx user (had the Ultra and the II), "coming back home"... or trying to :)

After I sold the AxFxII, I got an Helix and had been using it ever since. The programming of the Helix is scary easy and that's something very important, along with its portability. The AxFxII was a nightmare to program, without the editor (at least, fro me :)

Just got my Ax8 and spent most of yesterday trying to program a few sounds for our next gig. The sounds are amazing, but the programming is still a drag, from me.Before buying I knew I wouldn't be able to use 2 amps at the same time and blend'em together, but one thing I thought I would be able to do is to have different settings per scene, for the same amp. I'm used to use 4 scenes/snapshots (clean, light crunch, rock and heavy) on the bottom row and then some pedals on/of on the top row. From what I tried yesterday, with the X/Y thing I can have only 2 states/settings for the same amp or am I missing something?

Peace!
even on the Axe-Fx II, Scenes only change Block On/Off and XY. Scenes do not change settings within blocks. unless you use the Scene Controllers as mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom