Pickup Suggestions for a Suhr Classic Pro

iaresee

Administrator
I’d like to stay HSS but I want more scoop on the neck and middle pickups and more body on the bridge pickup. Currently has SSV V70 V70 in it and I’m not happy with any of them. They all have to go.

It’s alder with a rosewood board on maple neck.

Suggestions?

Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 bridge. (SH-14 = a '59 on meth + a clean bridge tone that doesn't completely suck). I don't know a single thing about single coils...

I actually have a Custom 5 kicking around some place! Pulled it out of my PRS like a decade or more ago. But I think it’s muuuuuuch hotter than what I want here.

If the guitar is inherently bright sounding then a SD Custom Custom in Bridge and a couple of SD SSL-1s work pretty well in one of my guitars (it's a 5 way super switch set up so the only non humbucking position is the neck pickup one - it's noisy sometimes if there's a lot of EMI going on - but I think the SSL-1 is a fabulous sounding pickup in the neck position)

Yeah I have a set of those v70s and I don't like them too much. In my suhr standard the v60 is more to my liking but it also has an SSV that I think works pretty well, so ymmv

Yeah I have a set of those v70s and I don't like them too much. In my suhr standard the v60 is more to my liking but it also has an SSV that I think works pretty well, so ymmv
I don’t mind the SSV bucker but not liking the V70
Singles at all.

Yeah I almost sent that guitar with the v70s back, but the guy at soundpure or wherever I bought it talked me into buying another guitar instead! Man! So I think I got the Standard HSS with the SSV and v60 and was happy. Still have the classic with the v70s and it sits unplayed. I have 4 suhrs with different pickup combos and I think my fav pups are the v60 and the tele bridge pickup. Both are really nice.

If I was in your shoes I'd get some v60 or v60lp and change out those v70s. With the SSV /v60 I can go from Knopfler to EVH with a little Hendrix and EJ along the way.

I use SD’s in everything, they don’t have the prestige of other winders, nor the cost, but have always found them to sound every bit as good. Just call them up and tell them what your after and they will custom wind it or recommend an existing option. Don’t like it, they’ll swap it for you, and all this with fast service and very affordable pricing.

Just never needed to go elsewhere

I use SD’s in everything, they don’t have the prestige of other winders, nor the cost, but have always found them to sound every bit as good. Just call them up and tell them what your after and they will custom wind it or recommend an existing option. Don’t like it, they’ll swap it for you, and all this with fast service and very affordable pricing.

Just never needed to go elsewhere
I have Duncans in all my PRS. No issue with them. Sometimes it's easier to stay in the family though. There are requirements for the single coils with the Suhr SSCII system IIRC -- like maybe the middle isn't RWRP? I forget.

I’m considering a replacement for the Dimarzio Super Distortion that came with my Charvel USA Select. It’s also a HSS with 5 way super switch. Great playing guitar with cool tones. I was listening back to some recordings all on the same preset. A Les Paul with 57 Classic plus and an Ibanez with a Duncan Distortion I bought in ‘87. The DD sounds smooth. It’s the benchmark. The Classic plus sounded pretty awesome too. The Super Distortion has a harshness to it. It’s not bad but not as good as the others. Now it’s eating at me. I wanna try the Duncan in there but not sure it can be split.

So weird thing. Took the Suhr out tonight and with the band I liked the V70s more than I did solo’ed at home. Still not the best, but not the worst either. They are for certain their own thing with some midrange honk that I’m not fond of.

On the fence. Maybe I should learn to like it’s uniqueness?

So weird thing. Took the Suhr out tonight and with the band I liked the V70s more than I did solo’ed at home. Still not the best, but not the worst either. They are for certain their own thing with some midrange honk that I’m not fond of.
Midrangey pickups tend to do that. They can sound honky in a vacuum, but get musical in a mix. And they can ride on that mix like a surfer. Case in point: Pearly Gates.

Been thinking about a Andy Timmons dimarzio set for an Ibanez blazer (HSS) I have. Not really sure about the bridge though.

Old Standard 24

gaaaaaah all mahogany! I bet that sounded so good with custom 5, the guitar that i discovered the custom 5 in was an LTD Viper 400, all mahogany Korean SG with the earvana nut, rosewood fretboard as well. I constantly watch ebay for standards, they are like unicorns, but i don't buy them anymore. not right now at least.

Back
Top Bottom