Love 3.0 , but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

greiswig

Power User
I am really liking most of the qualities I’m hearing our of this release. Reverbs are amazing. Choruses sound better. Amp modeling...I don’t want to be ‘that guy’ either.

But this is where I start to wonder if I’m “doin’ it wrong.” Even here, I like the way things feel better overall, and how the mids and highs are working. Mids and highs feel and sound more natural to me, and there is an immediacy and focus to the overall tone that is really satisfying.

But I feel like I lost focus in the low end on at least some amp models, and I’m struggling to figure out how to deal with it while keeping some bottom there. In particular, my main lead tone is based on the Bludo PAB mode. I don’t remember dealing with the fartiness in that amp model before. I left TMB at 5.0 previously, because the PAB mode just lifts the ground lugs on the tone stack pots, effectively rendering them inactive. So I assume the default settings are where it ought to stay. Low cut was pretty high, too, and the low end was focused and tight.

Now, however, it sounds and feels really different. Like there’s intermodulation distortion happening. Bass sounds more like an out of control Fender than an ODS with a big power supply.

On top of that, I’m coming back to questions I’ve had for years now about how the various seemingly-related controls work. There are a bunch of different ways to trim bass:
  • Bass knob in tone stack
  • Input EQ (obvious affects tone at the input)
  • “Cut” switch
  • Output EQ (obviously changes things post-distortion, at least in the default location)
  • Transformer frequencies, like low cut and resonance
  • There are probably more that I can’t remember off the top of my head.
Anyway, I’ve tried tweaking these, too, to get the focus back on my main lead tone, and nothing seems to get rid of the fartiness without also neutering the tone. Anyone else?

Put a Filter Block in front of the amp with a low cut. Or seeing as how it was artificially compressed you could try the Multi-Comp Block in front of it.
Also, the Master Volume has a lot of tone shaping in with it, I love the Bludo too, I was just playing my Bludo Lead & Clean Patch with those amps & they were quite nice.
I didn’t have the PAB in that patch on any channels however.. however what I can say that I’ve have noticed with other amps, although none of them were PAB’s, if you lower the MV a lot of the amps will thin right out & vice versa. I would try that first. See if that’s what’s going on, just make up the loss in volume with the Level knob. Unless you’re pushing the power amp hard & relying on that for distortion, but that may be why it is farting out. ?

The low end was artificially compressed in 2.5 because of a bug. If you like that great, but it's incorrect. I suggest you go back to 2.5 if you like that.
If this effect is good to some ears, could it be implemented in a knob?
Or is there a way to achieve 2.05 sound on 3.00 ?

I have had very good results with the multiband compressor trick that @2112 shared in one of his videos. It really solves a lot of issues with the low end for me.

Edit. This is the video.

Yes... Was going to suggest surgical use of the MBC for the presets where you feel like you want the different low end compression response rather than reverting it and losing all the 3.0 goodness.

Another parameter to explore is bias excursion. Cliff mentioned that the changes had something to do with the grid modeling; if that is more accurate now it could be that the model you've chosen exhibits lots of blocking distortion. Try a lower value and see where it gets you.

The low end was artificially compressed in 2.5 because of a bug. If you like that great, but it's incorrect. I suggest you go back to 2.5 if you like that.

This sounds to me like an issue with much more bass coming into the input stage. Are you saying that’s where the compression was happening?

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I don’t want to go back because I like other aspects of the new modeling.

I'm with you guys. Here's a quick clip of a similar riff using same preset with 3.0 and then 2.05. I've gone back to 2.05 for now though I want to "send in the clowns" for all those reverbs :). Appreciate any insight as to the changes (This was the bogner Euro Blue)

I'm with you guys. Here's a quick clip of a similar riff using same preset with 3.0 and then 2.05. I've gone back to 2.05 for now though I want to "send in the clowns" for all those reverbs :). Appreciate any insight as to the changes (This was the bogner Euro Blue)

This doesn't seem right ...

Attach the preset. Otherwise we're just guessing.

Here you goes (Used Al's FracTool as new Axe Edit won't read 2.05 and I can't find a download. Also attached my system backup file since uses global blocks

Attachments

• Bogner dr5 .syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 190121-105124-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom