Voes MIDI Controller anyone?

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
Does anybody have any experience with these? I've pondered getting one (voes 10 button), as the FC series is taking a long time (although I just noticed before writing this that they are starting to ship now). The only thing that held me back from getting a voes is that it's PC only for the editor, and I'm on a mac. That would mean that I would have to buy a small laptop just to edit the Voes. *(It also appears that the voes doesn't have the 10 button version anymore, and is replaced with the mx12 and mx18 versions. The 12 button version is smaller than the FC12 which is a plus for me, but doesn't have scribble strips.)

At the time, the plus of the Voes 10 button was that I could've gotten two (one for backup) of them, power for it, and a laptop for editing for cheaper than the FC12. Now, I can get the Voes MX12 with power and a laptop for editing for about $50-$100 cheaper than the FC12. Doesn't seem as sweet as a deal as the original plan, but I'm just ranting now! hahah

So, thoughts?? It comes down to functionality vs size really. If the FC won't be able to do anything more than the Voes, I can save money and have a smaller board which is a plus for me. I've had my Axe iii for a while now and would love to start gigging with it. Any experience with Voes stuff? Just wait for the FC? Will the FC actually be able to do more than the Voes can?

The big difference between the FCs and any third-party MIDI controller is that the FC not only sends information to the Axe, but receives it from the Axe. So, naturally the FCs will have a more robust featureset and provide real-time feedback of the state of things, whereas the third party foot pedals have to be programmed by the user to relay information to the user that it's sending to the Axe. The FCB1010 can only have one button lit up at once (stock chip) so that's about as much feedback you're going to get with that one (that said, of course, it's still my favorite).

You need to ask yourself not only what the FC can do that the VOES can't, but what are your needs? For instance, I use so few presets and such a simple scene selection within each preset that the FCB1010 is perfect - I don't need scribble strips to tell me what preset and scene I'm on. I can look down and figure it out (or, god forbid, use my ears).

IMO, the FCs will be tough competition for my FCB1010 for two reasons: on-board tuner display and single-cord operation. I hate having to plug my MIDI cable in and run a power cable to the FCB also. When i tune, I don't like having to turn around to look at the Axe Fx itself. Oh well.

Your call. I'm just bored and wanted to chime in, maybe write a few things that may help you make a decision :)

The big difference between the FCs and any third-party MIDI controller is that the FC not only sends information to the Axe, but receives it from the Axe. So, naturally the FCs will have a more robust featureset and provide real-time feedback of the state of things, whereas the third party foot pedals have to be programmed by the user to relay information to the user that it's sending to the Axe. The FCB1010 can only have one button lit up at once (stock chip) so that's about as much feedback you're going to get with that one (that said, of course, it's still my favorite).

You need to ask yourself not only what the FC can do that the VOES can't, but what are your needs? For instance, I use so few presets and such a simple scene selection within each preset that the FCB1010 is perfect - I don't need scribble strips to tell me what preset and scene I'm on. I can look down and figure it out (or, god forbid, use my ears).

IMO, the FCs will be tough competition for my FCB1010 for two reasons: on-board tuner display and single-cord operation. I hate having to plug my MIDI cable in and run a power cable to the FCB also. When i tune, I don't like having to turn around to look at the Axe Fx itself. Oh well.

Your call. I'm just bored and wanted to chime in, maybe write a few things that may help you make a decision :)

The Voes controllers both SEND and RECEIVE midi from the Axe, which allows them to display things like the preset name, the scene name etc, modes designed to work specifically with the Axe II, III, KPA etc. Dual layers of control switches, lots of flexibility, great editor software etc

Price point comes in a bit below the FC's, but shipping, and then the little box to let you power them over a single CAT5 cable adds some cost so where its not a huge difference.

I emailed them about buying a MX12 and sadly didn't get any response yet, been probably 7-10 days, so not real happy about that lol

I'd say the biggest difference in my mind, besides the scribble strips on the FC, which I don't really care about that much, is that the FC's can be powered with a single XLR cable, leaving the midi ports free on the III. This means I can have my Axe hooked up via midi to my drum machines, DAW etc, and I can use the midi block to send some controls, sync etc.

On the Voes, it works over midi in/out, so your already tying up those ports, unless you add on things like a midi router/thru box. The III can have a midi controller AND a FC hooked up so just a bit more flexibility in that regard.

Looks like a very good product, and I gave some real thought to buying one, but given the price difference isn't huge, the FC will work so seamlessly, and Voes hasn't gotten back to me yet about buying, I think I'll just go with the FC, which hopefully should be within the new few weeks.....

^^ Nice. Yeah, I quite frequently have no idea what I'm talking about. :D I thought I read somewhere around here that the Axe doesn't send MIDI info, but I guess I was wrong. Cool beans.

^^ Nice. Yeah, I quite frequently have no idea what I'm talking about. :D I thought I read somewhere around here that the Axe doesn't send MIDI info, but I guess I was wrong. Cool beans.
It totally does... But the controller at the other end must understand the midi spec of the Axe Fx III. Such as the Voes or the RJM MMGT.

Voes controllers are OK. I just don't understand why he left the MC10 controllers, 2 versions within 18 months, for another evolution to a 12 button version within such a short time delay.
The layout of the MC10 just was perfect imho.

...Guess there was a bigger demand for 12 button versions.

I bought one but send it back as it was'nt working, i got a refund but not for the shipping. It was one big mess inside, probably better now.

Mine worked fine, just some difficulties with the usb driver that got corrected with later FW versions.
Any controller I ever opened was a mess inside on the button side, so not a real criteria for me, but I think I understand what you mean.

I own a voes 10 buttons.
Perfect for my axe fx ii.
The editor is pretty easy to use, two function are assignable per button (long press)
I personally have 4 buttons for presets, 4 buttons for scene, and two buttons for bank up/down (+/= 4 presets).
Very easy.
Preset names can be recovered from the axe ii for the voes display, but the editor must be used for that . It depends on a choice regarding the names length. The shorter, the more name preset (see on the manual).
The editor can be tried without the voes iself, just to have an idea how it works.

I am personally satisfied because it is cheap, small, and more than enough powrtful gor my needs.

I use the mc-10 for my axeIII. My setup is that the first «page» switches between the eight scenes, and preset +/-. Second page switches on/off ten different fx-blocks.

Easy to use, and at a reasonable price

But I’m sure the Fractal FCs will be great, tailormade to the Axe, with scribble strips and everything

I might order one of the Voes. From what is sounds like here it should interface pretty well with the lll. I did not get on the waiting list until November of last year so God knows when I'll get an invite!

Last edited:
I just ordered an MX-12 and a V-Box from Patrick. He seemed very helpful and offered to pre-program the unit for me! I told him I wanted to be able to change presets, scenes, and channels as well as have 1 button dedicated to tap or tuner. He said it could do all that and even has a press/hold function for switches. Sounds pretty cool!

I sent them an e-mail - the MX-18 and MX-12 look pretty sharp and the multi function button abilities are sweet. The editor is a nice touch as well.

The Voes controllers both SEND and RECEIVE midi from the Axe, which allows them to display things like the preset name, the scene name etc, modes designed to work specifically with the Axe II, III, KPA etc. Dual layers of control switches, lots of flexibility, great editor software etc

Price point comes in a bit below the FC's, but shipping, and then the little box to let you power them over a single CAT5 cable adds some cost so where its not a huge difference.

I emailed them about buying a MX12 and sadly didn't get any response yet, been probably 7-10 days, so not real happy about that lol

I'd say the biggest difference in my mind, besides the scribble strips on the FC, which I don't really care about that much, is that the FC's can be powered with a single XLR cable, leaving the midi ports free on the III. This means I can have my Axe hooked up via midi to my drum machines, DAW etc, and I can use the midi block to send some controls, sync etc.

On the Voes, it works over midi in/out, so your already tying up those ports, unless you add on things like a midi router/thru box. The III can have a midi controller AND a FC hooked up so just a bit more flexibility in that regard.

Looks like a very good product, and I gave some real thought to buying one, but given the price difference isn't huge, the FC will work so seamlessly, and Voes hasn't gotten back to me yet about buying, I think I'll just go with the FC, which hopefully should be within the new few weeks.....
got an answer and prices for the MX-12 - didn't think about the power over a cat5. Need to do more research. Would like to see the MX-12 in action and know what the turnaround is to ship to the states.

It would be nice to see the numbers on the FC waitlist based on the month and inventory as it comes and goes. At the rate they seem to be passed out, it will be several more months until I get a notice.

I just ordered an MX-12 and a V-Box from Patrick. He seemed very helpful and offered to pre-program the unit for me! I told him I wanted to be able to change presets, scenes, and channels as well as have 1 button dedicated to tap or tuner. He said it could do all that and even has a press/hold function for switches. Sounds pretty cool!
let me know how long it takes to get to you and how you like it. I think I may pull that trigger too.

Back
Top Bottom